New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 16

I woke up the next morning to the annoying sound of alarm clocks ringing at the same time. Smokey must have set them both to assure that I would wake up. I glanced up at my clock. It read 6:45 a.m.

"Isn't this summer vacation? Shouldn't I be sleeping in?" I grumbled, sitting up in my bed.

"Well, yes," Smokey said, "But today is the farmer's market!" She sounded awake and excited. I groaned and began to get ready. Smokey was already changed into a pair of low-riding baggy jeans and a tight All Time Low v-neck. She sprinted to the bathroom before I could get there.

I sighed and dressed in some light blue skinny jeans that were ripped from the shin all the way up to the middle thigh and a rainbow To Write Love On Her Arms shirt. Both Smokey and I straightened our hair and put on eyeliner. Dad knocked on our bedroom door and peeked around it.

"You girls ready?" Dad asked, glancing at us. Smokey and I nodded and followed my dad out the door to pack up the trucks.

Since my "acquaintance" with Trent, I've pretty much avoided the guys altogether. After the incident, I told Smokey everything that night. She had been waiting on my bean bag chair, watching cartoons.

Of course, when I told her she got her evil-thinking smile. I can only imagine what she could possibly be planning in that devious brain of hers.

While Dad packed his truck with the booth, Smokey and I filled my truck bed with produce. Tomatoes, watermelon, squash. You name it, Daddy grows it. With the help of his fabulous farm girls of course.

I owned an old blue Ford Ranger XLT, one my grandfather had given me when he taught me to drive at age 14. It was my first car, and I still loved it. Later, Dad helped me buy my black Range Rover because though it was a nice Ford truck, it wouldn't run forever and I couldn't drive it everywhere.

After my truck was filled, Smokey and I jumped into the truck and drove into the city to the old historical part where the farmer's market was always held.

Dad had left before us, so the booth was already set up by the time we arrived. In fact, several others were setting up, some even coming to buy. We parked by our booth and began unloading. As I went to grab the last crate of peppers, someone reached inside the truck bed and grabbed it out before I could. I looked up in surprise.

"Tyler? What are you doing here?" I asked, looking at him. He shrugged and sat the box down next to the others in our stand.

"My mom likes shopping at the farmer's market," Tyler said, gesturing to a pretty red-headed woman bartering with an owner for fruit at another booth. She looked young and simple in her jeans and white shirt.

"Yeah, I think I've seen her here before. She usually buys a few jalapeño and a bag of tomatoes from us," I stated with and smile.

Tyler chucked and nodded. "She loves to make salsa from scratch. It's really good."

"You'll have to bring me some sometime. I'd love to try it."

Tyler looked like he was about to say something when his mom approached us and smiled at me. She then asked, "Are you one of Tyler's friends?"

"Yes, ma'am. Uh, I met him through Ethan," I returned the smile. There was a few seconds of awkward silence so Tyler spoke up.

"Um, yeah. Mom, this is McCartney. She's Ethan's stepsister. McCartney, this is my mom, Kate."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. My father owns the stand where you buy the tomatoes and peppers," I said. Kate looked at the homegrown foods we had brought and smiled grandly.

"Magnificent. 'Cause I need to buy some for my salsa recipe!" she exclaimed happily, trotting over to examine the vegetables. I laughed and turned to stand behind the table in front of her. Tyler chuckled and followed his mother.

She ended up choosing eight tomatoes, two jalapeño among other types of peppers, a few ears of corn and an onion. It was a rather large number of supplies.

"That'll be $34.00," I said, adding it up with a very high-tech notepad and pen (oh, the wonders of sarcasm!). When Kate reached into her purse, a horrified look rose on to her face.

"I'm sorry, McCartney," she said softly, "But I've only got a twenty. I'm afraid I can't take all this." Tyler looked embarrassed, blushing and looking away. I looked down at the vegetables, then to my father and Smokey not far away. They were helping an elderly man carry his groceries to his vintage car.

"Tell you what. How about you take this and send me some of that delicious salsa I've heard about," I said, turning my gaze back to them and smiling. Tyler's face lit up, his gorgeous smile making me shiver.

"Are you sure honey?" Kate asked, and sighed in relief when I nodded. "Oh, you are amazing. Tyler, this one is definitely a keeper. Don't worry, darling, I will absolutely send you a jar or two of my salsa. Thank you so much, sweetie."

"Don't worry about it." I bagged up the vegetables.

"Grab those will you, Tyler? I think I forgot my fruit over there!" Kate exclaimed, hustling away before he could respond. I giggled softly and stepped around the table to Tyler.

"You're mom is awesome."

"Yeah," Tyler said, glancing at his mom. He smirked and looked at me with those deep eyes of his.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around, Tyler."

Tyler nodded, his smirk changing into a full-out smile. I had never seen him smile like that before, especially with Ethan or Trent around.

"You know, my mom is right. You are amazing, McCartney. Thanks for everything." With that, he leaned down and kissed me sweetly on the lips. I stood, once again surprised as Tyler pulled back. He grabbed the bags of vegetables, turned, and walked away. I watched him until he was out of sight.

First Trent, now Tyler. My brain went on overdrive. How come I never noticed that either of them liked me that way? How come neither of them said or did anything until now? What am I supposed to do?

What the hell did I just get myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 16! Thanks for reading!