New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 2

My jaw dropped with such surprise that I could barely comprehend what he was saying. I bet I looked like a fool standing there with my jaw probably almost touching the floor. Finally, I closed my mouth and averted my gaze from anywhere near Dad. I began to mentally trace patterns in the stone-patterned tile as the awkward silence continued to ring throughout the kitchen. Finally, the calendar caught my eye. It read April 1st. I burst out into a fit of laughter.

“Nice going Dad!” I said in between hysteric laughing, “You really had us going there for a second. Haha! April fool’s! I get it now!” Smokey understood and laughed right along with me.

“That was a good one, Mr. Finn!” she said with a bright smile. Smokey was always polite and kind when it came to my dad. She never felt comfortable calling him by his first name or Dad, so she kept to the formal.

We soon realized Dad hadn’t joined us in the laughter like he would have if it were a real joke. Our hysterical fits slowly came to a halt. I stared at my father, judging his body language. He sat as still as a statue, eyes carefully diverted back to his empty plate. Another flood of shock came over me and I frowned. “You’re serious, aren’t you!” I accused angrily.

Dad just sighed and looked up at me again. “McCartney, you have to understand. I have been dating this woman for some few months now, and I really like her,” he spoke quietly. Smokey kept quiet. She knew it wasn’t her place to speak, but it did concern her. That was the only reason she stuck around.

“And why didn’t you tell me? Or Smokey, for that matter? We both deserved to know that you were at least seeing someone!” I spat. I had never in my entire life been as mad at my father as I was then. But he kept a soft gaze as he watched my violent outburst against him. And to think I just cooled down this morning with a nice ride through the pastures?

“I didn’t want to tell you because of Melinda, your mother. I know you miss her still and I thought this would have hurt you too much,” my father said quietly. Just the sound of her name froze me in my tracks. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Smokey stiffen as well. It hadn’t even been that long. Maybe three years since her death.

Ok, yeah. That was a long time. But still. What happened to the whole “one love of my life” thing he always used to tell me about my mom? I knew I was still frozen in place, which filled the room with tension like electricity. I sighed and turned my back to my Dad.

“Fine. I understand and I just want you to be happy. So go ahead and date whatever her name is and be happy. Ok? Ok,” I said with a little bit of snap. I began walking towards the staircase to go and take a nap in my welcoming plush bed.

“Oh, and I almost forgot. Anne, that’s my fiancée’s name, and her son Ethan are coming tonight for dinner. I expect you, and Smokey too, to be dressed nice and formal. Dinner is at seven,” my father finished dismissively. I almost growled as I grabbed the still-silent Smokey and trudged upstairs to my room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I don’t even know the lady or her son and I already hate them both,” Smokey said as she lay on my bed, half-hanging off the side that faced my walk-in closet.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” I replied, walking out in my best dress. It was royal purple made of a satin-like material. Ribbon wrapped around the upper torso and with a ruched hem and a few blue undertones. My silver heels complimented the necklace I wore. It was a silver and amethyst locket that had been my mother’s. I had already finished my hair, straightening it. I had applied eyeliner and a faint trace of lip gloss. I was ready for dinner and it was only… 6:45 PM.

Smokey stood up from my bed, fixing her dress. She wore a cobalt blue dress that came just above her knees and had a strange midnight blue material underneath. A big black bow was wrapped tightly around her upper torso. She had curled the ends ofher hair earlier and applied some light lip gloss and eyeliner like I had. Her black strappy heels and black rose necklace made her look beautiful.

“We look amazing!” Smokey exclaimed, twirling around in her dress. I laughed and spun once with her. Then I checked my clock again. 6:55 PM.

“Let’s go ahead and get downstairs. Dad will be mad if we aren’t waiting for his guests when the doorbell rings,” I said, angrily emphasizing the word ‘guests’. Smokey’s own laugh fainted and she sighed heavily. So, we hooked arms like best friends do and began our trek down the long staircase. Right as we reached the bottom of it, the doorbell rang loud and clear. And I heard Smokey mutter:

“Showtime.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everybodyyyyy! Just wanted to show you what McCartney and Smokey’s dinner outfits look like!

Smokey:
http://www.polyvore.com/smokey_dinner_outfit/set?id=17362880

McCartney:
http://www.polyvore.com/mccartney_dinner_outfit/set?id=17359514

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked capítulo dos! (That’s Spanish for chapter 2 in case you didn’t know. XD)