New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 23

McCartney's P.O.V.

Trent and I finished decorating and I must admit, this place was gorgeous. And clean. We strung up lights and lanterns around the outside and even along the path leading to the beach. Inside, a table with tablecloth was set up for food and drinks. Out on the beach, there were tables and chairs with lights in the sand and flowers all around. It was an all-around beautifully decorated house.

And I knew it was all going to go to waste.

Those kids would just destroy the place. Oh well. At least the party should be amazing. I smiled as I stood on the sandy bank, admiring our work. Trent came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, chin resting on my shoulder.

"What do you think?" I asked Trent. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Beautiful," he replied. I rolled my eyes right as the Range Rover pulled into the driveway. I glanced at my watch. It was almost time for the party to start. We only had about half an hour left.

"Took them long enough," I muttered. What started my heart racing was the fact that Ethan carried Smokey from the car bridal-style. I grabbed Trent's hand and sprinted towards the house. "Ethan!" I called, before reaching them. I glanced once at Smokey's sleeping form and her bandaged hands then to my soon-to-be stepbrother. "What the hell did you do to her?"

"Long story short," Ethan whispered, "She almost got hit by a car."

"And Ethan pushed her out of the way," Tyler added, walking around the car with grocery bags in his hands. I let out a sigh of relief, happy that she as at least alright.

"Ok," I whispered, "Just take her inside to our room and put her in bed. Let her sleep a bit longer. Though I'm not sure if she'll be up to party later." Ethan nodded and headed into the house, carefully avoiding banging Smokey into the door frame. Trent followed him, just in case Ethan needed help, leaving Tyler and I alone.

I sighed and turned to him. "Here, I'll help you with those," I said, taking a few grocery bags from him. Tyler shrugged and nodded. He headed inside without saying a word to me, which definitely stung.

Is this how it's always going to be?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan's P.O.V.

I carried Smokey all the way upstairs. She was pretty light, so it wasn't difficult. I took her into the girl's shared bedroom and lay her down on the bed, tucking her in. Smokey shifted, causing me to freeze. I didn't want to wake her up.

Smokey furrowed her eyebrow, though she was still asleep. She looked pretty adorable. I guess I just never noticed how cute Smokey was. A pang shot through me and I realized something incredibly important just then: I liked Smokey.

I jogged into my room, grabbed the Kit cat Skelanimals plush I had won at FunLand, and ran back to Smokey and McCartney's room. Smokey was still asleep, though she had rolled over on to her side and was hugging a part of the comforter. I gently removed the blanket and tucked the stuffed animal between her arms. Smokey smiled in her sleep and snuggled further into the mattress.

I have always been a player, sort of a man-whore. I've been with a lot of girls, some of whom I still don't know the names of. It's the way I've been ever since my father left us when I was ten.

But ever since I've met Smokey and McCartney, I've been different. Changed my point of view on life. I'm not just some spoiled rich kid who used girls like money anymore. And I've definitely learned one thing: I didn't just stumble for Smokey.

I completely fell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow...Maybe some of you saw that coming. Maybe some of you didn't. But I was glad I was able to put a little bit of Ethan in this chapter. Yeah... I loved writing this chapter. A lot of emotion I think.

Thanks for reading! (: