New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 29

My little group with a few new members (Alexandra, Josie and Kris) decided to go to a local diner/burger joint for dinner. I figured it was the best place to get one of my favorite meals: a Swiss cheeseburger with lettuce, mustard, mayo, ketchup, crispy onions, and a cherry chocolate milkshake.

Yeah, I know I'm weird.

However, the sitting arrangements for Ethan's SUV on the way were a bit awkward. I figured it would be best for me to sit in between Kris (since no one else liked him) and Alexandra (since no one really knew her yet) in the middle row. Josie, Trent and Smokey were behind us in the far back row with Ethan driving and Tyler in the passenger seat.

"So Alexandra, where did you move from?" I asked her.

"Oh, I didn't move. Just never been to this part of town before. Definitely never in a street fighting club," Alexandra replied with a smile.

"That's cool. By the way, I've been meaning to ask you. Where have I heard the name Crepsley before?" I continued to ask. I don't know much about her. So I might as well find out, right?

"Uh..." Alexandra said, biting her lip nervously. "Promise you guys won't freak out?" I shrugged and everyone agreed, wanting her to continue on. "My father is the Italian Mafia Boss." My jaw dropped, eyes wide. "Dammit. I knew I shouldn't have told you that..." Alexandra muttered, misreading my expression.

"No! I'm not saying that's a bad thing! I'm saying that's freakin' awesome! Italian Mafia...wow!" I exclaimed, smiling at Alexandra. She randomly hugged me tightly. Another burst of pain.

I stiffened, which thankfully Alexandra didn't notice. But Kris certainly did. "Thanks, that totally means a lot!" Alexandra said happily, pulling away from the hug. I shrugged, still a bit in pain.

After everyone else was in a conversation, Kris whispered to me, "Are you sure you are alright?" I nodded, not wanting to say anything.

We arrived at the appropriately named 'Yum Burger Diner' about 10:30 P.M. Everyone piled out of the car, into the diner, and to a large table. I sat between Josie and Alex.

"Josie, I can't believe it has been almost seven years! You look so different! I mean, older, prettier and what not," I stumbled over my words. Josie giggled and poked my nose, just how she used to.

"Yep, and you are prettier, taller and still not good at articulating words!" she replied. I rolled my eyes as everyone laughed. "Ok, so really. What have you guys been up to?" Josie continued.

Smokey spoke up, "In seven years or recently?"

"How about recently," Josie replied, eyes wide. "I don't think I can keep up with seven years of 'been up to's..."

"Well recently, Mr. Finn is engaged to Anne, Ethan's mom. Ethan, who scored a pretty cool on the McCartney Scale of Amazingness within a few hours of her knowing him, introduced Mick and I to Tyler and Trent. We've done a lot of farm work and recently got back from a weekend vacation at a lake house, where I was almost hit by a car, McCartney and Trent started dating, and there was a giant party. That help?" Smokey said. We all stared at her wide-eyed.

"Uh...yeah..." Josie said slowly.

"So you live on a farm?" Alexandra asked me. I nodded and smiled.

"Yep. Cattle, horses, cats, dogs, pigs, chickens, the works," I replied.

"D-dogs? Like, furry things that bark?" Alexandra asked, stuttering a bit.

"Uh, yeah. Are there any other kind?" Trent asked, chuckling a bit.

"Well, no. But I don't like dogs," Alexandra said, shrugging. The waitress came and took our food and drink orders. As Kris ordered, I noticed Everyone except Alexandra, who had no idea about Kris, send him hostile and hateful looks.

Finally, I had enough with it.

As the waitress left, I narrowed my eyes at them. "Ok, guys. Listen here, Kris is my friend now. You can either suck it up and get over it, like I have, or stay angry. But, keep you mean looks to yourselves."

Tyler looked at me, a bit surprised by my outburst. I sighed, pain bursting in my side. My breath hitched, and I bit my lip to keep from whimpering in pain.

"Woah, McCartney, are you alright? There's blood," Trent said, pointing to my mouth. I licked my lip to clear it of blood. Apparently, I had bitten it too hard...

"No big," I replied as nonchalantly as I could. We got our food and ate, mostly side conversations keeping dinner from being awkward. Alexandra and Kris really hit it off, talking about fight techniques and Mafia life. Josie got the rest of the guys to talking about sports. She always had the best arm in football when we were kids.

That left me and Smokey.

"Can I talk to you?" she mouthed. I shrugged and nodded. We both got up and walked to outside. I sat down on the curb, Smokey plopped down beside me. We sat in silence for a minute before she spoke.

"What could you possibly be thinking? Are you really that dumb? Do you not remember what Kris did to you?" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Of course I remember! How in the world could I forget? Smokey, I know how cliche and bogus this sounds, but I believe Kris has changed. Or is changing, anyways. He needs friends now more than ever. You know as well as I that he has been alienated from people since we broke up. I think it will be much better for the two of us if we're friends again and try to put the past behind us." That had to be one of the best speeches I had ever given. Well, it's one of the only ones, but who's keeping track?

Smokey looked away from me out into the parking lot. She sighed and glanced at me from the corner of her eye. "Fine, but if he makes one step backward, I'll break his collar bone." I laughed and hugged Smokey.

"You know you're the best, right?"

"Psh, of course!" she shouted. "Now let's get back inside before Ethan eats all my tater tots!" I fake gasped, jumping up. Smokey did too and we sprinted inside to the table. The food had just arrived, and Smokey caught Ethan red-handed, reaching for her tots.

"OMG I can't believe you would steal my food! You meanie!" Smokey exclaimed, slapping Ethan's shoulder as she returned to her seat beside him. Ethan put his hands up in surrender, chuckling.

Smokey glared at him and angrily bit into a tater tot. I rolled my eyes and slurped on my cherry chocolate milkshake. Finally, Smokey stood up and banged her glass with a butter knife. I hoped deep down that she wouldn't break the glass. It wouldn't be the first time...

"I have something to say," she announced.

"Hurry up, we're not doing wedding toasts... yet," Josie mentioned sarcastically, causing everyone to laugh. Smokey blushed lightly and glared playfully at Josie.

"Ok, whatever. I propose we all go to the Finn's tonight and have a giant slumber party! We have done it before, but it's sort of an initiation process. So what do ya'll say?" she continued.

Josie smiled and shrugged. "Well since I'll be staying at your house until the wedding, I think I don't really have a choice, do I?"

Alexandra nodded slowly. "Uh, I will have to talk to my father first. He's a little... protective since I'm his only daughter."

"That's fine. What about you, Kris?" Smokey asked, turning her gaze to him as Alexandra got up to go call her father. At first, Kris looked surprised, not expecting her to ask him.

"Uh...I....Sure," he said with a small grin. Ethan, Tyler, Trent and Josie looked at Smokey confused, then me. I shrugged and smiled a 'you-better-be-nice-to-him-or-else' smile. Alexandra came back soon after and smiled with a nod.

We finished our burgers and I paid the bill. My group of new and old but awesome friends and I piled into the SUV and drove to my house.

I can't wait for this friend party to begin!
♠ ♠ ♠
There goes Chapter 29! OMG I'm almost to 30! That's crazy! Anyways! I'm glad I have faithful readers like all of you. Thanks for reading!

Character consultant for Josie Finn: Quizilla user OscarxThexGrouch8

Character consultant for Alexandra Crepsley: Quizilla user NanaChan07