New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 31

Well, it has been a few days since I've spoken or seen to Tyler. Things have definitely been awkward between us. And I haven't said much to Trent either. The weird part is he's been avoiding me as much as I have, him.

So much for being the perfect couple.

Smokey, Alexandra, Ethan and Kris knew about what happened between Tyler, of course. They were in the same room. And I had told Josie. We had always told each everything ever since we were kids.

So now, as I lay on my comfy bed, absentmindedly strummed the guitar balancing on my stomach, I thought. I mean, I knew Tyler and I were just friends. The alcohol had just gotten to our heads, right?

But even then, that kiss made me realize something: I didn't love Trent as much as I thought I did. Could it mean that Trent and I were just better off as friends, like Tyler and I were? I guess I'll find out.

I picked up my crappy phone from the beside table and dialed Trent's number. He answered on the third ring.

"Hello?" asked the familiar male voice. I sighed and mustered up enough courage to continue.

"Hey, Trent. It's Mick. Wanna come over and go riding?" My voice was calm, though my mind wasn't.

"Sure, sounds great. I'll be there in fifteen minutes," Trent replied. Then we both hung up.

Fifteen minutes. Enough time for me to walk to the stables and ready both Prince and Dalila for riding, all done while I was so deep in thought that I was surprised I put the saddle on correctly at all.

Trent walked through the barn doors, hands stuffed into his pockets. I looked up at him, biting my lip. "Let's head out. We're wasting daylight," I said, pulling myself into Dalila's saddle.

Trent just shrugged and followed suit, sliding up into Prince's saddle. We took off, powerful horses cantering beneath us. And guess where we ended up?

That's right, the cliff.

My favorite spot in the world. Like before, Trent and I dismounted, tied up our horses and walked to the top of the hill. Sitting down on the soft grass in the sunlight, Trent and I faced each other. A few moments of silence passed.

"I have something to tell you," we said in unison. It was strange, but it made me smile.

"Ok, so let's both say it at the same time," I said. I counted on my fingers, raising one... two... three.

"I cheated on you," we said, again in unison. My eyes widened as I looked at him. Thoughts raced through my mind. But the biggest question of all?

"With who?" I asked, tilting my head. Trent looked at my like I was crazy. I knew he had been wondering the exact same thing. The weird part was neither of us were actually angry.

"Promise you won't get mad at either of us?" Trent asked slowly, watching my reaction. I nodded, waiting for Trent to continue. "I kinda sorta made out with Josie when we went to get more snacks." He scratched the back of his head sheepishly.

I stared at him. At first, I was mad at both Josie and Trent. Mostly Josie, since we were supposed to tell each other everything. Then I burst out laughing. Trent stared at me like I was crazy.

"Wow, seriously? Was it alcohol-induced or what?" I asked after my giggles quieted. Trent shrugged.

"Yeah sort of. I'm not quite sure if she remembers it at all. What about you?" Trent asked, tilting his head. It was hard to believe we were being so civil about this. Maybe he found that he felt the same as I did.

"Made out with Tyler on a dare. We were pretty drunk too." Trent just nodded. We sat in silence for a long moment before I had the courage to ask, "So what does that mean for us?"

"Well, I think we should break up," Trent said slowly, as if watching for my reaction. I sighed loudly in relief, laying back on the ground. "What?" he asked with a chuckle.

"I was thinking the same thing. We don't love each other as much as we thought we did, do we?" I asked. Trent just nodded, a smile lighting up his face. "We love each others like siblings. I love you like I love Ethan."

Trent laughed and layed down beside me. "Exactly. So we are officially just great friends, right?"

"Right."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smokey's P.O.V.

I skipped down the hall to me and McCartney's room and burst through the doors. To my surprise, McCartney was not there. I turned and walked farther down the hallway to the guest bedroom. Alexandra and Josie were there, painting their fingernails and talking.

"Have either of you seen Mick?" I asked, glancing between the two of them.

"Nope," Josie said, smiling at me.

"Do you want to join us? This lavender color would look perfect on you!" Alexandra commented excitedly, holding up a vile of pretty purple polish. I shook my head.

"No, thanks. Maybe later," I said. The girls shrugged and I headed back down stairs, sliding down the bannister. I skipped (again) through the kitchen into the entertainment room. Mickey wasn't there either, but Ethan was.

"Hey, have you seen McCartney?" I asked him. He shrugged and shook his head.

"No, but do you wanna hang out with me? We could go grab a pizza, maybe take a walk through the park?" Ethan asked, scratching the back of his head. I chuckled and hopped over the couch to sit next to him.

"What, you mean like a date?" I interpretted, giggling a bit. Ethan shook his head quickly, a light blush forming on his cheeks.

"No, no! Not at all. Just friends. I mean, the guys are all busy. Trent is out, somewhere. Tyler is helping his parents with something or another. And Kris has to work. And I don't want to hang out with all of the girls, so I figure why not just you?" Ethan replied in a jumbled rush.

I chuckeld at him again. "Yeah sure. I'd would like to hang out with you as 'just friends' with go hang out." Ethan rolled his eyes and stood up. He pulled me up too.

"Let's get going then! We're burning daylight!" he exclaimed, dragging me along behind him. We hopped into his SUV and drove off towards a local pizza place. Truthfully, I had no idea why I agreed to this. But there was only one thing going through my mind at the moment:

Maybe this could be fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe I've written this long and people still read it faithfully. Thanks for reading! (: