New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 49

Here I was again, standing in front of my mirror with that beautiful black flowing dress Anne ordered me to wear. I knew it was a bit rude, but I clipped my mother's amethyst necklace around my neck. There was no way I would walk down that aisle without.

It was the morning of the wedding, only about an hour beforehand. I stood in the dressing room with my father and his best friend, Mark.

"I can't believe today's the day, man," Mark said happily, slapping him on the back like old buddies do. My dad smiled nervously, looking at Mark in the mirror. Both men had jacked up bow ties with their classy tuxedos.

"I swear, you two should be old enough to know how to tie your own bow ties," I teased, moving in front of them to swiftly tie them. Mark rolled his eyes and smiled at me, wrinkling the skin around at the corners of his eyes. Just then Ethan peeked his head around corner of the doorway.

"McCartney, you're needed out here," he said with his smile that always made me think he was up to no good. I rolled my eyes and nodded, kissing both Mark and my dad on the cheek before exiting the room.

"Well don't you look snazzy, Mr. I'm-Too-Cool-To-Button-My-Shirt-All-The-Way-Or-Wear-A-Bow-Tie," I commented sarcastically, catching Ethan roll his eyes at me.

"Don't comment on my outfit, Miss Revealing-Dress," he said, meaning my low cut, short black flowing dress. I immediately blushed and felt a bit self-conscious. Ethan continued, "I swear this is the first time I've seen you in a dress since the day we met." I glared at him, causing Ethan to just chuckled and turn away.

Ethan led me to a secluded area of the beautiful mansion-like event building. It was a garden of sorts, surrounded in tall white picket fence and rose bushes. In the center, there was a fountain and a white bench. But it seemed as if not many came out here. It was hidden from most views unless you walk down some random maze of a hallways and through a back door.

"What are we doing here? You're not going to propose, are you? Because one, that would be weird since you're about to be my brother, and two, Smokey would kill you and me," I continued with the sarcasm. Ethan seemed to be ignoring me. I laughed at my own joke.

"Sit here," he said simply, gesturing to the bench. Something in his voice made me do as he said. Ethan turned and walked back inside, leaving me confused and alone. Ok, really? Not where I wanted to be.

"What the hell, Ethan?" I yelled after him. Noticing he wasn't coming back, I sighed and looked around the garden. I nearly jumped off the bench when Tyler stepped out from behind a wall of roses.

"What the heck, Tyler? You scared me!" I said, smiling. Tyler just smirked back and sat down next to me on the solid, cold bench. "Did Ethan herd you here too? He basically forced me to come with him. Hey, have you seen any of the others? I haven't seen any of them since this morning. I guess they're--" I stopped, frozen from Tyler's actions.

His warm lips were pressed lighting against my cheek. Tyler pulled back and smiled at my shocked face. "I had to get you to shut up somehow," he said quietly. Tyler grabbed my hand in both of his and looked down.

"I asked Ethan to bring you out here. I needed to talk to you," he told me, looking up under his lashes at my face. I couldn't help but stare at him. "I know we agreed to just be friends, McCartney, but I've noticed we have been getting closer and closer. And I want to. I've never been good at talking, so.....here," Tyler said. I was still surprised, so when he put a blue velvet box in the palm of my hand, my jaw nearly dropped to the ground.

"Tyler, I can't--"

"Just open it," Tyler insisted, letting go of my other hand and moving a little bit a ways to give me some space. I sighed slightly and open the box. Inside was the most beautiful silver charm bracelet. "Each charm represents a special memory we shared," Tyler explained.

I took a closer look and examined each charm to decide what memory it was. The seashell represented that night we spent on the beach, the alchemist's male and female symbols are the Battle of the Sexes games we planned and played, the skateboard is from our night in the skatepark, the tomato is for our time at the farmer's market, the caduceus for the nights in the hospital, among many other charms.

"Tyler, I really don't know what to say," I murmured. Tyler just took the bracelet and clasped it around my wrist. Before he could respond, or we could fully talk about what was happening, Smokey stepped outside.

"Come on, McCartney! Anne wants you as the maid of honor behind Eden, the matron of honor. Hurry up!" Smokey whined, tapping her high heel-clad foot. I turned to Tyler with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry, we really need to talk about this but--"

"Mickey Mouse, hurry up!" Smokey whined. I sighed angrily.

"We'll talk after the ceremony, ok?" Tyler nodded and I quickly stood and raced into the building. I was sure what I was going to say, but whatever it was, it had to be said. I waited in the room behind the aisle with Eden and Glenda, their dress similar to me and Smokey's, Anne is her beautiful white gown, and Smokey.

The doors flew open, the music began, and we started down the aisle. Eden first, then me, with Smokey and Glenda behind me. I noticed that Trent and Tyler stood at the altar behind my father, Mark and Ethan. It was a surprise, but then again there had to be four groomsmen for the bridesmaids to leave with.

The ceremony was long, and a little boring. That's horrible to say, but I can't deny it. Eden held Anne's bouquet so I didn't have to, but other than that I kind of didn't listen. The minister was boring, so I tuned out, even when people began crying. The only thing I did listen to was the vows. And they were incredibly beautiful.

"I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Richard Finn. You can kiss the bride," the minister announced with a smile. It was weird to see my dad half make-out with Anne, but it was quick and before I knew it, I was arm-and-arm with Ethan.

"You knew, didn't you?" I whispered to him. Ethan looked at me from the corner of his eyes with a smirk playing at the corners of his lips.

"What? I have no idea what you mean," he said as innocently as possible. I rolled my eyes and squeezed his arm painfully. Ethan winced.

"I know you know. Why didn't you mention anything?"

"Don't you think that would have ruined the moment?" Ethan questioned. With that, he helped me into the car to the reception the bridesmaids would be sharing and disappeared. I stared thoughtfully out the window, finding Tyler among the crowd. And still the question burned in my mind.

What the hell was I going to say?
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG Tyler is soooooo adorable! Ok, well I kinda wrote it, but I thought it sounded like the sweetest thing ever, don't you? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (: Thanks for reading!

Only one chapter left! 0_0'