New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 50

The car ride was short and quiet with Smokey watching me the whole time. Her face held a knowing expression, one that showed she knew too. I guess Ethan just couldn't keep his big mouth shut. But I couldn't blame him for that.

Anyway, when we reached the reception, the bridesmaids were rushed inside by Elizabeth, Anne's mom, and directly to our spots at the bride and groom's table. They had been set up so that I was to the left of my dad with Mark on the other side of me, then Smokey beside Mark. Anne sat to the right of Dad with Ethan, then her sisters. The guests began to pour into the beautiful reception hall not even seconds after my butt hit the chair.

"Please stay seated until the guests are all finished with the congratulations and greetings and stuff," my dad leaned over to whisper in my ear. I stared at him, about to complain. But it was his wedding reception, so I decided against it.

"Ok," I muttered back. That was when I saw Alexandra come through the door, wearing a stunning royal blue dress with matching jewelry and black heels. She was holding Kris's hand and pulling him along behind her, who looked pretty handsome himself. He was wearing black skinny jeans a dress shoes, a button up shirt with tie, a fedora hat and shiny silver watch. When Alex saw me, she immediately raced to me.

"Ohemgee, Mick, you look awesome!" Alex exclaimed excitedly. I smiled and laughed a little bit, stepping around the table to hug her.

"You guys too. Gosh, Kris, I didn't know you clean up that nice," I saw with a half smirk, causing him to blush. Alexandra laughed and pulled Kris closer to her. I couldn't believe how cute of a couple they were.

"Well, we'll see you later! I'm starving!" Kris exclaimed, turning towards the buffet. Alex shot me a look that said 'When is he ever not starving?' (yes, a look can say that!) and then followed her boyfriend to the food. I sighed and was about to sit down when someone put there hands over my eyes.

"Um...is it the ice cream man?" I asked. Whoever it was burst out laughing, giving me enough to to grab their hands and turned to face them. "AAAH! Josie!" I said, hugging her in all her adorableness. "And Trent!" I hugged him quickly too. "You guys look amazing!"

And they did. Josie was in a white summer dress with a black floral pattern with matching black heart necklace and ring, bangle bracelets and flats. Trent, on the other hand, was in a white button up longsleeved shirt with a loose black tie, black slacks and black dress shoes.

"You look good too," Trent said. If we hadn't dated, broke up and now he's dating my cousin, I would think that was suggestive. But I know, and Josie knows, it wasn't.

"The wedding was beautiful, Uncle Rick," Josie said, prancing over to my dad. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, Josie. If you see your mother around, tell her her brother would like to see her at his own wedding," he said with a smile. Josie nodded and turned back to us. Smokey and Ethan soon joined our little group. The music had started and it sounded more like music that would be at a club than at a wedding. Should've known, Anne chose it.

"Dad, can I please go now? I wanna dance!" I whined playfully, smiling hopefully at him. My dad just rolled his eyes and nodded. I punched the air excitedly and pulled my friends to the dance floor. We were partying, having whole lots of fun, but what had to ruin the absolutely fun moment?

A slow song.

Ethan pulled Smokey closed and wrapped his arms around her waist, swaying them slowly. Trent smiled at Josie, set his hands on her waist and pulled her close. Josie placed her hands lightly on his chest, and they too moved to the beat. I was ecstatic they looked so happy, but I didn't have anyone to dance with. So I slowly made my way to the sidelines. About halfway there, I was caught by someone who pulled me back to the middle of the dance floor.

"Jackson! I'm so glad you came!" I exclaimed with a smile, reaching up on my tip-toes to kiss him on the cheek.

"Wouldn't miss it, sweet pea. So where's that boyfriend of yours? How could he possibly miss dancing with someone who looks so amazing?" Jackson replied with a smirk. I rolled my eyes.

"Tyler isn't my boyfriend, Jack," I answered, thought for a moment, and continued, "But he wants to be." I lifted my wrist and showed him the silver charm bracelet dangling delicately from it.

"Wow, that guy really goes all out." Jackson examined it closer as we slowly moved to the music. I nodded with a soft smile. "So where is Tyler anyway?" he asked, causing me to realize that I hadn't seen Tyler yet. I immediately scanned the crowd of dancers, eaters, celebrators and talkers. And Tyler was no where to be seen. I mean, I saw all of my family, some of Ethan's, Alexandra's father and siblings, Kris's parents. But no Tyler.

"I have no idea," I answered. The slow song changed into another fist-pumping beat (I've never seen Jersey Shore, though), and Jackson and I took a step away from each other.

"Thanks for the dance, but I think I should probably find Tyler," I shouted loud enough over the music so he could hear me. Just then the music cut off, causing me to look around startled. My dad, Mark and Anne stood on the stage behind the cake table.

"Hey everyone!" Mark said like his normal happy-go-lucky self. "I think it's time for the Best Man speech. So here goes nothing. I've known Rick here since middle school, and we've been best friends since High School. And this is the second time I've been his Best Man. I was there when he and Melinda had McCartney, when they bought that beautiful farm together, when Melinda became sick and passed, and even when Geoffrey and Eve Carr passed and Richard was so kind to adopt Smokey. He has been a hard-working man for sometime, and has rarely had time for fun. But the look on his face when he sees Anne and is with her is pure happiness. And I'm so happy for the two of them. So here's a toast to them."

Mark raised his wine glass in the air, followed by the rest of the people in the room. I grabbed a wine glass from a waiter's tray and raised it. We sipped wine together. So what's a little alcohol to a minor? We're celebrating.

Anywho, I watched Anne and my father cut two pieces of cake together and shove them in the other's face. To some it seemed beautiful, but to me it was a little strange. I never really understood the significance of wedding cake in your face. Oh well.

"And now, we will have the father-daughter dance!" Mark announced. Anne's father, a handsome grey-haired man with a very sophisticated and poised persona stepped onto the stage and took Anne's hand, leading her to the center of the now-clear dance floor.

"McCartney?" Dad questioned, motioning for me to join him. I "oh'ed" and took his hand. We moved near Anne and her father, and got into the classic ballroom position. It was then that we moved slowly to the song in the few ballroom steps I actually knew. Before I knew it, the dance was over. "Thanks, love," my father said with a smile.

I nodded to him and turned to exit the floor. On the sidelines I found Smokey, a glass of wine of her own in her hand. I rolled my eyes.

"You just had to jump on the drinking bandwagon," I spoke, dragging out the word 'had.' Smokey nodded, though she wasn't anywhere near tipsy. Smokey rolled her eyes and shot me the 'so did you' look. I shrugged.

"Yeah, and your father-daughter dance was beautiful. So have you found Tyler yet?" Smokey rambled quickly. I shook my head, sipping my wine as I scanned the crowd again. Maybe he decided not to come to the reception. I gave the empty wine glass to a random waitress and began to randomly mosey around the room.

About ten minutes later, as I was still walking around and turning down many different offers to dance, I froze. There he was, sneaking as quietly as possible through the front door. He was dressed in a black suit jacket over a white button-up long-sleeved shirt, black skinny jeans with a pyramid stud belt and black Converse.

"Tyler," I breathed, moving to stand in front of him. I smiled, knowing that my expression was questioning. Tyler sighed and took my hand, leading me to the dance floor for the third time that night. Like magic, a slow song that I couldn't identify began playing. Tyler rested his arms around my waist, and I slid mine around his neck.

"I wasn't going to come. I was too embarrassed after what happened. I'm sorry for unleashing all of that on you earlier. I know it was too much and I don't need an answer or anything," Tyler explained, looking me in the eyes.

"Tyler, you don't have to--"

"Don't worry. I understand now the 'just be friends' part and I'm okay with it. I'll get over it eventually, but don't count on it being any time soon," Tyler continued, cutting me off.

"Tyler, really you--"

"I know it'll be a bit awkward at first, but I'd rather be friends than nothing. Ethan said that was the best way to go, even though I really don't know why I asked Ethan for advice. He's not all--" I couldn't take his rambling anymore. So I shut Tyler up the only way I knew how.

With a kiss.

As I pulled back, I couldn't help but look up at the surprised look on his face. "You're right, what you said earlier," I said quiet enough so only he could hear, "You really aren't that great at talking." Tyler smiled warmly at me, a light but cute blush forming on his cheeks.

As we slowly swayed, I glanced around the room. Josie and Trent sat off at a table, Josie playing the whole 'cute giggle and hair flip' flirting thing. It was easy to see how happy they were together. Ethan and Smokey were standing in the corner by the music set-up, talking and kissing off and on. They were pretty starstuck for each other too. Then there was Kris and Alexandra, dancing on one side of the floor with her head resting on his chest. They looked adorable together. My dad was dancing with Anne, the happiness clearly written on their faces. Everyone was happy.

This summer had definitely been eventful. There were so many memories I knew I would always hold dear because of it. I met some amazing new people, and I could wait for the school year to start. I mean seriously, with a summer like I've had, who wouldn't want it to never end?

Tyler lifted a hand to gently turn my eyes to his. Everyone was happy, which made me happy too. Tyler leaned in and sweetly pressed his lips against mine, right there, in the center of this beautiful event hall, in front of all the people I know and love. It was the kind of kiss that made me feel sparks and fireworks. I pulled away and looked up at Tyler's handsome face, memorizing his features. I smiled at Tyler and simply said,

"Best summer ever."
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE READ:

Wow, I can't believe this is actually over. It seems like just yesterday I started this story. DX Well, I hope you all liked the ending and are happy with it. I loved writing this chapter, so I hope you loved reading it.

So here's the dealio (<---- i love that word). I decided that since I've posted faithfully for months straight (no matter how far apart the chapters were....) that I need a little break. So, I'm going to take a few weeks break to post the sequel. Now don't be saying 'Oh that's tooo long!'.

I want to keep all my fans, so why don't I give you all an exact date? I will be posting the first chapter of the sequel on Monday, November 29, 2010.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO READ THIS STORY! (: