Status: Finished

Mixed Feelings of Elation

Chapter 1

The birds outside the window chirped happily in the new morning light. Their noise made the pink haired lead singer stir in her bed. Pushing the covers back groggily, Neon let her body slid from the mattress. She stumbled across the room to the full length mirror next to her vanity. Through heavy lids she examined her appearance. Her pink hair was longer than it had been in awhile; the only time it ever reached her lower back was when it was still honey blonde in her freshman year of high school. It was all over the place, no doubt full of knots.

She tossed and turned when she slept; keeping knots from taking over her hair was impossible.

Her tank top had risen over night, the hem sitting underneath her chest. Luckily, the boy shorts she wore had stayed in place. Too many times she woke up without her shorts on because she kicked them off over night.

Sighing, she avoided looking at her stomach, thighs, upper arms and any other area she knew could accumulate obvious fat. Instead, she looked into her blue eyes that were clouded over with sleep.

Those damn birds just had to wake her up.

Drawing her eyes away from the mirror, she walked back to her bed and fell on it face first. It was too early to be up. Though she didn't actually know what time it was. Her body was simply telling her she should go back to sleep and ignore the chirps from outside.

Neon lifted her head from the pillow to check the time on her digital clock sitting on her side table. '6:00AM; June 18' it blared in neon green font.

June eighteenth. The date struck a chord in Neon's mind. Something important was happening today. But what was it? It wasn't her birthday, as that was in mid-September. It wasn't the anniversary of their parents' death, marriage, or engagement. It wasn't the day RxN was created or the day Armand passed away.

Her mind reeled with possibilities, each being shot down. She sighed again, laying her face back on the pillow. Something in her mind clicked into place, probably the effect of coming to full consciousness. She shot out of bed, now knowing exactly what event was taking place today.

Her feet carried her out of her room and to her little sister's room. For the event to take place, Arpeggio needed to be up. The young drummer had to get ready.

Neon pushed the door open, not bothering to knock. Her eyes landed on the mess of blankets on Arpeggio's bed. She was still asleep. It was understandable since she had been up till the early hours of the morning talking to her boyfriend on the phone. It would just be unpleasant for Neon to wake her up.

Taking a deep breath, Neon approached the girl's bed with caution.

"Arpeggio," Neon said, hoping to rouse the girl from sleep without getting too close.

The blankets moved around for a moment; then lay motionless on the bed. Neon took even breaths and tiptoed to the side of the girl's bed. She leaned over, shaking the mass of blankets.

A mumbled "go away" came from the mass.

"You need to wake up, honey," Neon said.

There was no answer. Arpeggio had likely fallen back asleep. Neon groaned in frustration. She had little patience in the morning and the little she had was slowly disappearing.

Neon grabbed hold of the blankets, pulling them off of Arpeggio's form. The young girl was curled in the fetal position, eyes closed tight.

"I don't want to get up," Arpeggio whined.

"You need to. Don’t you know what today is?" Neon asked.

"I don't care."

"It's your birthday," Neon answered her own question.

June eighteenth: Arpeggio's day of birth. One of the happiest moments in their family's history. Today, was Arpeggio's "golden birthday." Today, she would be eighteen, legal for her boyfriend's affection.

Arpeggio shot to a sitting position, grinning.

"Jack's coming over today," she announced.

"Jack comes over everyday," Neon replied.

It was true; Arpeggio's boyfriend came over everyday. In the past nine months of their relationship, they had only been apart for a month. RxN and All Time Low had two separate tours to attend. Arpeggio and Jack communicated constantly. It seemed neither was ever off their phone or webcam. Dorian had fun tormenting the drummer, claiming she was having heavy webcam sex with Jack at every performance.

The fans thought it was funny.

"Well, today's the moving day. Are you going to be okay without me?" Arpeggio asked.

Arpeggio was moving in with Jack later that day. Jack moved out of his apartment and bought a house nearby for the two of them to live in.

"I'll be fine," Neon answered.

It felt like her own child was leaving her. Arpeggio was the closest thing Neon would ever have to a child.

"You won't miss me?" Arpeggio asked.

"I'll miss you lots. But you'll visit and we'll still have band practice together."

"And you'll get a boyfriend and have kids, right?"

"Yeah," Neon chuckled nervously, "I'll have kids."

That wouldn't happen.

"Good because I want a niece that I can spoil and a nephew that I'll love even though he'll aggravate me nonstop."

"You've thought about this too much."

"No, my Sims characters acted it out. The Sims versions of you and Alex had babies," Arpeggio answered.

Neon choked on air. Her sister could not have been serious. Alex was never going to be the father of her children. Not that she could have children but if she could, Alex would not be the one impregnating her.

"Are you okay?" Arpeggio asked.

"I'm fine. Go get ready," Neon commanded, evening her breathing.

Arpeggio shrugged and hopped out of bed. She had to admit, she was excited for the day. It was her birthday and she was moving in with her boyfriend. There wasn't anything more exciting than that.

She would miss Neon though. She hadn't been away from Neon for long periods of time before. Arpeggio hoped she would be able to cope without her big sister around. And she hoped Neon wouldn't do anything to hurt herself.

With Neon, it was impossible to tell how she was feeling unless she told you outright.

Neon rubbed her temples once Arpeggio hid away in her bathroom. One day, she would have to tell Arpeggio that her dream of nieces and nephews was impossible unless Neon adopted.

Neon stood from Arpeggio's bed, left the room, and headed for the kitchen. She needed to make breakfast so Arpeggio's blood sugar would stay level.

And so she could keep her weight "normal."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to ImInLoveWithYou?, rivals are insane, The-Ugly-Duckling, picklesmcgee, breepocket, katelynnjosee, RwaR means i Luv you, tq6776, RawrItsEllie., NattyPatty93, Wasted Ambition, iwishiwas, jackATTACK!, Hello My Name Is..., Erinnnn.xo, Sore Winner, and taiga tora..
And thank you to all the subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste