Status: Finished

Mixed Feelings of Elation

Chapter 25

Neon sat in her makeup chair. Around her, various stagehands were bustling about. A woman was working quickly on her hair, simply straightening the pink locks. Another woman was applying makeup to her face. The two women, Anna and Jamie, were crewmembers for RxN. On most occasions, the members of RxN did their own makeup and hair. For important appearances, like live interviews, their makeup artists and hair stylists did it for them. They had to look perfect, not for the fans but for the critics. No one wants to end up on the front of a tabloid because of a malfunction in makeup or hair. That was just ridiculous.

With Neon already in the tabloids for her weight loss, she needed everything to look faultless. She didn't need another thing to add to her list of offences.

Lestat was pacing behind her chair, rambling. He was spitting off things for her to remember to say. Neon felt she should listen to him but she couldn't focus on his words. It was just an interview, she would be fine. Lestat seemed to be more nervous than she was at the moment.

Neon cared more about seeing Alex in the crowd. She didn't know how she would react. She didn't know whether she should smile at him. She didn't know what to do. And they were going to meet up the next day. She was more nervous about talking to Alex, who she had sex with, than talking to the interviewer about her anorexia.

"And don't talk about your boob size," Lestat said.

"What?" Neon asked, turning in her chair.

"If they ask about how not eating affects your body, don't talk about your boob size."

"How is that even a plausible first response to that type of thing?"

"I don't know."

Lestat looked about ready to lose his mind.

"Statistical Math, you need to chill out," Jamie said, running the straightener through Neon's hair.

"Statistical Math" was a nickname that Lestat was given in high school. Jamie was an old friend of his who used to do his hair for him before school, which was the reason she got the job styling hair for the members of RxN. The nickname derived from "Stat," the last section of Lestat's name. Only Lestat, Jamie, and Annabelle seemed to understand.

"I can't," Lestat replied.

"Can someone get him a shot?" Jazz asked.

"I don't want alcohol."

"You're calmer when you drink it."

"Yeah, you're less of a constipated bitch when you drink," Dorian said.

"Fuck off, bass player."

"Was that supposed to be an insult?"

"Depends, did I hurt your feelings?"

"No."

"What about if I punch you in the face, would that hurt your feelings?"

"Someone thinks he's funny today."

"Would you two shut up?" Dante asked.

Neon groaned, turning back around. Jamie returned to straightening Neon's hair. She was trying to be careful with it. Due to Neon's lack of food intake, her hair had become weak. It would start falling out in time. Which was a shame, Jamie thought Neon had gorgeous hair.

Not many people could pull off bubblegum pink as a hair color.

"Close your eyes," Anna commanded.

Neon did so. The liquid eyeliner glided on her top lids. It was cool, bringing a sense of comfort to Neon's head. There was a pain humming through her brain. It was mild for now. By the end of the interview, it would be a throbbing sensation. Her back was likely to start hurting too. Whether or not her feet would start hurting was questionable. She was wearing padding in the soles of her peep toe heels. They could keep the pain from surging through her feet or they could do absolutely nothing.

"You can open your eyes now," Anna stated.

Neon opened her eyes, meeting a reflection of herself. Against her wishes, she had been placed facing the mirror. She didn't want to be able to see herself while she was being made up.

"Am I done?" Neon asked, noticing her pin-straight hair and perfected makeup.

"I want to put a bow in your hair," Jamie stated, digging through her bag.

"I never wear bows."

"Yeah, well normally you don't have to talk about sensitive topics on live television. You're wearing a bow. And I might layer some of your hair. You haven't cut it in forever."

"Do you have enough time for that?"

"She has ten minutes. She's pulled off a complete cut and style in less than five before," Lestat said.

"Well then, go at it," Neon said.

Jamie smiled, pulling a pair of scissors out of her pocket and cutting at Neon's hair. Arpeggio appeared in the mirror behind the chair.

"Jack and Alex will be here soon," Arpeggio looked at Neon through the mirror, "They're coming backstage for a little bit."

Fear passed through Neon. She was definitely not ready to face Alex. Subconsciously, she bit her lower lip.

"Hey, I just glossed that," Anna tapped Neon's nose.

"I don't know why you put lip gloss on me," Neon grumbled.

"You don't eat before you make appearances so it stays on."

"Well, what if I decided to eat before I make an appearance? Then the lip gloss would have been wasted."

There was a silence. Everyone stared at the lead singer.

"That argument won't get you anywhere," Lestat stated.

"Shut up," Neon said, slouching in her seat.

Jamie put her scissors down and began rummaging through her bag again. She was trying to find a ribbon to match Neon's cotton candy blue tank top. It was relatively surprising to see Neon in the color. It didn't match much with her pink hair. She looked confident nonetheless.

The hairdresser pulled out a light blue ribbon, one that matched with her top. Smiling in victory, she fastened it to the side of Neon's hair.

"Done," Jamie said.

Neon stared in the mirror. She guessed she looked okay.

"You look so pretty," Arpeggio cooed.

Neon shrugged. The only way Neon would believe that is if it came from Alex's mouth. It hurt her to admit that his opinion mattered so much but it did.

Arpeggio opened her mouth to respond but was cut off by Jack's body flying into hers, lifting her off the ground, and spinning her a few times.

"I missed you so much, cutie," Jack exclaimed.

"I missed you too," Arpeggio giggled, rubbing her nose against Jack's.

"You saw her this morning," Alex grumbled, walking up to the group, hands shoved in his pockets.

Neon stood from her makeup chair at the sound of Alex's voice, facing him. Alex stood in front of her, hands still jammed in his pockets. Neon could feel her band mates staring at them.

"So you decided to show up," Neon said, breaking the silence between them.

"I figured you needed a little support," Alex replied.

"Why'd you come backstage?"

"Jack—"

Jack cut him off, "Dude, don't bring me into this. It wasn't my idea to come back here."

Alex rolled his eyes. Neon was surprised it wasn't Jack's idea. She thought for sure that Jack's hormones made him want to be around Arpeggio constantly.

"I wanted to wish you luck before you went out there," Alex said.

Neon smiled, "Thanks, Alex. I probably need that."

"You look really pretty. Not that you aren't pretty normally. This is just different with the bow and the hair cut. You look kind of like a porcelain doll."

"You think so?" Neon asked.

Her insides were jumping. She felt her cheeks heating up.

"Yeah."

"That means a lot right now. Thank you."

"So would giving you a hug be inappropriate?"

"I'd like that."

Alex opened his arms, letting Neon step into them. His arms wrapped around her thin shoulders; her arms wrapped around his middle. Warmth spread through Neon's body. She could feel her stomach knotting up.

Alex rubbed Neon's shoulders. He wished he could have done this sooner. Having her in his arms was comforting.

"Two minutes, everyone," the stagehand yelled, "Neon, you need to be at your entrance."

Neon pulled away from Alex, frowning.

"We should be getting in the crowd," Alex said.

Neon nodded, waving to the group before walking to the opening she would be walking through when her name was said.
♠ ♠ ♠
So before I do thank yous I'd like to say I'm sorry to Wasted Ambition because I know she really wanted me to get the full interview out before she leaves for a week.
I don't think I'll be able to.
Sorry.
Thank you to Wasted Ambition, tq6776, Myssa is stellar, xoNatasha5xo, and rivals are insane.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste