Status: Finished

Mixed Feelings of Elation

Chapter 4

Alex and Neon cleaned the kitchen in silence. Alex would shoot glances at Neon occasionally. She lost weight; he could tell. Years of analyzing her body while she wasn't paying attention and in pictures told him so.

He wasn't a stalker. It was the only way he could look at her without getting cursed out.

Neon sighed, taking out a fresh bowl to mix cake batter with. Alex watched her, leaning against the now sparkling counter.

"Could you go check on those two?" Neon asked, "Make sure they're working on the decorations."

"Sure thing," Alex responded.

He pushed himself off the counter. Neon watched him as he left from the kitchen to find her younger sibling and his best friend. Why did Alex always do what Neon asked of him? Since they made up, he would fulfill her every request. She told him to jump off a bridge once; he went to a mini golf course and jumped off the bridge into the shallow water. The whole thing was filmed and posted on YouTube with a shout out to Neon.

It was pretty funny to watch. The RxN and All Time Low fans seemed to love it. Now that everyone knew about the burning hate Alex and Neon once had for each other, the fans of both bands appeared to combine together.

But what was the reason Alex did everything Neon told him too? Neon mulled over the answer to the question late at night when she couldn't sleep. It could have been for any reason. Maybe it was one of Armand's last requests; maybe he was doing it because his best friend was dating her sister.

Or maybe he had a change of heart.

Regardless, he always did what she asked. It almost made her feel bad for yelling at him on occasion.

Neon finished mixing the yellow cake batter and poured it into three different trays. The trays were placed into the oven to cook. One thing Arpeggio and Jack did do was preheat the oven, which didn't make sense since they weren't planning on using it. Neon started working on the chocolate cake batter.

Arpeggio was having two cakes: one yellow with chocolate icing and one chocolate with vanilla icing. Both sugar free. There would be at least fifteen people there, the largest crowd Arpeggio had at any of her parties. Having two cakes was necessary, especially since a majority of the guests were males and ate their weight in food.

It happened to be Jack's birthday, as well. The second cake was technically for his candles. Though, he would be celebrating his birthday later in the week with his parents.

"They're working on the decorations," Alex stated.

Neon jumped for the second time, clutching her heart. She didn’t know he was there.

"Stop doing that," Neon commanded.

"You're right, I should. Your heart will stop from shock. Isn't that what happens to most anorexics?"

It wasn't intended to be a malicious statement. Alex was genuinely concerned for Neon's health. She was thin. Not as thin as she was in high school but still dangerously thin.

"I'm not that thin, Alex."

"That's bullshit," Alex retaliated.

"No, it's not."

"Please, don't lie to me. How much weight have you lost in the past week?"

Neon bit her lip in the same area Arpeggio always bit hers. She didn't want to tell Alex anything. Just because they made up didn't mean they were close enough to talk about this.

"Look," Alex started, "Arpeggio is worried about you. When I walked in, she and Jack were talking about your weight, or lack thereof. She wanted me to talk to you. I wouldn't have brought this up a second time today if Arpeggio didn't ask."

The young drummer had become the epitome of a little sister to All Time Low. Not an annoying, bratty sister but a hyperactive, adorable-beyond-words type sister. It wasn't in her nature to come off as annoying.

"I haven't lost any weight," Neon answered.

"Everyone can see that you've lost weight. I'm not saying this for my fucking health; it's true. So just tell me, how much weight have you lost this week?"

Neon sighed. He wouldn't drop the conversation till she answered him. And she knew Arpeggio was worried.

This day was about Arpeggio though, not about Neon. Neon wanted to keep it that way. Her little sister was turning eighteen; this was a big day. She didn't want to ruin it by having people worry about her weight.

"Ten pounds," Neon answered.

"How much have you lost this month?"

Neon shrugged.

She knew. She just didn't want to tell him. It was an unimportant fact.

"You know. Tell me," Alex demanded.

He needed to get off her back.

"Only twenty pounds."

"That can't be healthy for you."

"I guess."

"Can’t you feel your body deteriorating?"

"I'm not deteriorating. My body mass index isn't low enough to be considered anorexic yet."

"You mean again. You could die this time, you know. Do want to do this to yourself? Do you want to cause your sister and band that much emotional pain? Do you want to cause me that emotional pain?"

Neon knew damn well what she could do to herself. But she wasn't that thin yet. So she lost twenty pounds this month around her band's watchful eyes. It didn't matter. They would end up making her gain it back. Arpeggio's birthday party was in a few hours; Neon would probably manage to gain that weight back by eating loads of cake.

With the amount of food they would have there, she didn't doubt it.

"Can we drop this conversation, please?" Neon whispered.

"Fine. For now," Alex answered.

"Thank you."

Alex didn't say anything, just shrugged.

"Can you help me get the barbeque sauce ready?" Neon asked, tentative.

"Sure. Is there some secret Lowry family recipe that I need to follow?"

Neon laughed. She was thankful that Alex put the conversation they were having behind them so fast.

"Yeah, it's called KC Masterpiece Sauce. Get it out of the ice box and warm it for twenty seconds."

"Why would I do that?" Alex asked.

"Just do it," Neon instructed.

"Fine, we won't make nifty barbeque sauce," Alex mumbled.

Again, Neon laughed. Alex smiled, knowing he made her laugh that intoxicating laugh he had grown to adore. But she would never know how much he cared for her. He could never tell her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Stephen Gomez, purplemonster, katelynnjosee, tq6776, Sore Winner, Erinnnn.xo, breepocket, BlackHeartRomance, and taiga tora..
And thank you to any new subscribers.
So there's some drama in this story that takes place soon;
As if Neon not eating isn't enough.
So be prepared because what happens may not be what you expect.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste