Status: Completed. Feel free to comment.

Taking This One to the Grave

1/1

“Are you ready to give your speech?” Katherine’s mother whispered to her, as they sat in the pew of the small church.
Katherine nodded focusing her full attention on playing with the hem of her black dress. She didn’t want to be here. Mourning the death of her father. She wasn’t even sad he was gone. If anything she was happy. It felt like weights had been lifted from her shoulders.
“Now, Herbert’s only daughter, Katherine will speak.”
Katherine walked slowly down the aisle. She forced herself to make eye contact with these people. All the family and friends, who had loved and adored her father.
She cleared her throat once, “My father was a good man.” Lie. She fought to keep the bitter tone from her voice, “He was loved by many. He loved many and was so full of life.”
She struggled as she read through the speech. As she struggled to keep the images away.

She was eight years old. Her mother was going on some two week vacation with some of her old high-school friends.
“Mommy, why can’t I go with you? It’s ok if I skip school, I can get my homework later one of my friends.” A young Katherine kicked her feet of the bed her dirt brown hair falling limp into her face.
“Kathy, you’re not going to miss school. This is a small trip; I’ll be back before you know it. Besides you can spend more time with daddy.”
Katherine sighed loudly, “Fine.”
The next day, Katherine’s mother left early. Katherine’s dad took her to school and picked her promptly at 3:30 p.m. where from there, they spent the day at the park and eating ice-cream.
Katherine opened her eyes slowly as light from the hallway flooded into her room, “Is it time for school already?” she asked wiping the sleep from her eyes as her father walked into her room.
“No, Kathy, just go back to sleep,” her father had climbed into the small bed now and was gently stroking her hair.
“O-ok.” Katherine had a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. She shut her eyes and tired to lull herself back to sleep. No such luck. Her father had moved from her hair and was now touching her face, running his heads along her body. She had heard about this. The good touch/bad touch her counselors were always talking about.
“Daddy, can you stop I don’t like this.”
“Shh, angel, it’ll all be over soon.” He whispered in her ear and now she could now smell the stale alcohol on his breath. Tears stared to fall from her eyes and his hands moved to her pants pulling down her shorts and panties. She squirmed to get free, but he held a tight grip onto her. She stopped struggling realizing what was happening to her. She began to imagine herself somewhere else as daddy did what he waned to please himself. In her imagination she was at the beach with her grandparents, enjoying the sun with a big vanilla ice cream cone. Anywhere but here. He kissed her on the cheek as he left, “Keep this a secret ok?”
Katherine slowly nodded her head. She was numb. She didn’t bother to clean herself. She knew the dirty feeling wouldn’t leave any time soon. She was right. Every night her mother was away her father always found his way into her bed.

Katherine was brought back to reality by her mother, “come on Kathy, we’re going to say our finally good-byes.”
As they stood in the line, Katherine had another flash of an image. The night her father died. Her mother had been away again with some friends. Katherine saw it as her chance. Her chance to get revenge on the man who had hurt the most. The man who was suppose to protect her, but had put her in harms way. She decided the easiest way to go about was to poison his food. She made him a big dinner. Steak, mashed Potatoes, fresh rolls, the works. Finding the right poison was the real difficult part. She watched enough cop shows to know that they could trace the drug in his blood. She looked through the medicine cabinets and found the perfect thing. Some old prescription pills he used when he had a bad shoulder injury.
“Daddy, I made you dinner,” Katherine announced brining the plate into his small home office.
He smiled up at her and she wanted to throw up, “That’s very sweet of you Kathy, just set it down.” She did as told, ‘and could you bring me a glass of wine?” She smiled, “sure thing.”
Katherine poured the glass of dark red wine and crushed four of the pills to stir in it.
“Enjoy,” she smiled a sadistic smile as she closed the door and walked along the plush carpets to her room. It was one of the most peaceful nights she had in awhile.

Katherine twirled the rose delicately in her hands. Nobody had suspected her. The police wrote it off as a drug overdose. She stared down at the man know as her father. The man who had rid her of her of all her childhood innocence.
“So long daddy, I’ll see you in hell,” she whispered those last few words and dropped her rose into the casket.