Champions.

Joey Ramone

When I was 11, one of the tabloid newpapers was giving away a free ramones CD. I didn't know much about them but I had heard they were meant to be good, really good. So later that day, I went up to the shops and bought that paper and I've not looked back since.

I instantly fell in love with them. It was loud, fast, raw and perfect. Even though I only had seven tracks, they were my favourite band without a doubt. I bought some of their albums and I felt like I belonged when I listened to them, like they understood. I bought a book about them and finished it in six weeks.

That's when I fell in love with Joey Ramone. I loved the way he looked because he didn't have long hair and wear sunglasses because it looked cool, that's just what he liked. I loved that he was tall because I was one of the tallest in my class when I was 11 and I felt stupid because everyone else was small, but he made it ok to be tall.

When I started High School, I went from getting along with everyone in my class to having to choose my allies very carefully. I was very unhappy in 1st year because my Grandad was in hospital and I was loosing all my friends one by one. I remember going home one day feeling like crap, I went up to my room and put a Ramones album on and then I felt better.

Joey was an outcast too. He was laughed at for the way he looked and I'm laughed at for the way I look. In that first year of high school, I felt I had an affinity with Joey, because we're both freaks. He made it ok to be a freak, he made it ok that I'm a bot geeky.

He proved to me last year when I was at my lowest that no matter who you are, no matter how stange or nerdy you are, you can still hold on to your dreams and they'll come true if you just believe in youself. I know that sounds corny but it's true. He was a weirdo and turned out to be one of the greatest rock stars of all time.

Joey's parents divorced when he was eight and he didn't adjust easily. He had three different fathers and his mother kicked him out when he was 21 but they still remained close. He spent some time in a mental hospital because he was having a hard time dealing with OCD. But he got out again.

He spent a lot of his adult life in hospital because he had a foot infection due to a dead nerve that caused a lot of problems. In 1978 a teapot exploded in his face when he was doing vocal excersizes and he suffered 3rd degree burns. His girlfriend, Linda Danielle, who he loved very much, left him for Johnny Ramone. He never really got over her, and that is probably why he turned to alcohol and cocaine but he managed to get off the drugs and stopped drinking, but not long after that he was dignosed with cancer.

In 2001 he released his first and last solo album, 'Don't Worry About Me', he was dying.

On April 15th 2001, Joey died of Lymphomia while listening to U2's 'In a Little While'. He was 49 years old.

On November 30, 2003, a block of East 2nd Street in New York City was officially renamed Joey Ramone Place.

Sometimes I like to think that he is my guardian angel and that he watches over me and protects me. Maybe he is.

Thank you Joey, you've helped my fight through the hardest times in my life and showed me that weirdos can change the world too. You've showed me not to care what anyone else says and to chase my dreams.
I know you'll never be forgotten and that your legacy will continue forever.

R.I.Punk.
♠ ♠ ♠
I mean every single word I say.