Champions.

Dr. Haing S. Ngor

The first time I had ever heard of Cambodia was in 7th grade history/geography class. Every child in the class had to pick a country to do a research project on. Why not this small far-away country whose name sounded cool? Sad to say the country with the intriguing name also had a sadly intriguing history, oh a history of murder.

The first time I had ever “seen” Cambodia was during my middle school years when my Dad and I were laying on our gigantic couch, napping and watching movies all day. The Killing Fields was on television, and I was very excited. I knew the actor who played Sydney the journalist – it was the guy from Law & Order! I knew what country it was taking place in – Cambodia! And I knew of the tragedies in the time period – I knew!

The first time I had ever heard of The Book was in my junior year of high school. AP U.S. History, Vietnam War time period, effects on the region – my teacher mentions how the bombing of the Ho Chi Minh Trail drastically affected Cambodia and that there was a memoir titled A Cambodian Odyssey that described a man’s personal journey during a catastrophic time period.

Dr. Haing S. Ngor is my hero.

Dr. Ngor survived the Khmer Rouge regime of systematic Communist takeover, murder, and cultural annihilation during the 1970s. His wife, and child, unfortunately did not. Coming from a family rooted in its own traditions, he took the path less traveled and became a Western-educated Doctor. Following this, he fought to end corruption in his family’s business, he struggled to keep his wife alive in the forced labor camps, he survived being tortured three times and lived to tell his tale.

Something about Dr. Haing S. Ngor’s story struck a chord in me. I hold a high respect for him, and he inspires me to push past the everyday limitations in my easy, free, happy American life to pursue my dreams. He inspires me to believe in happiness and success. He inspires me to be a better person, to be a woman who can make the world a better place.

The girl in 7th grade who Google-searched a country and watched a movie was interested in exotic places and ancient temples. Today, Cambodia is a place I hold dear to my heart because it is the place where my hero overcame his greatest struggles. Never before could I readily answer the question “Who is your personal hero?” without pausing to make up an easily believable answer. It is no longer an awkward pause, but a ready answer.

Who is my hero? A doctor. A husband. A survivor. An actor. A fighter. A father.

Dr. Haing S. Ngor.