Champions.

John Lennon

I've always thought that maybe - just maybe - John Lennon was my guardian angel. After all, his band's (The Beatles) music was playing in the delivery room when I was born, he sends me messages through my dreams, our birthday is only 6 days (and fifty-six years) apart, and we both had treachorous childhoods.

Up until I was about four, my parents repeatedly played his music to me. I sort of drifted from it after I turned six, but rediscovered it at eleven. I loved it so much, that I researched him and watched tons of interviews. It was then that I found and felt this intense connection with him.

I can't really explain the feeling - but he made me feel understood for the first time in my life. It ended my depression and it made me comfortable with myself.

John was the first person to do so many things. But really his whole message was - Be who you are and be confident about it. Fight for what you believe in and don't let anyone change you.

The above statement would be stolen, rehashed and ripped off of Lennon years before and after his tragic demise. He didn't seem to mind, though. All he cared about was that his point got to others, whether they'd heard it from him or someone else.

John Lennon is probably one of the most misunderstood beings on the planet. He was not a hippie (in fact, he despised them) and he wasn't a happy, "good" guy. He was sarcastic, cynical, morbid, dark and depressed for the majority of his life.

I think that this was because he experienced so much death, hate, and abandonment at such a young age.

When John was just a baby, his father left him and his mother, Julia. Julia would be John's best friend throughout his childhood and adolescence, though she couldn't provide sufficient living arrangements for John.

Instead, he was sent to live with his Aunt Mimi and Uncle George. Soon after, though, George died, leaving John without a father figure of any sort. Devestated, he continued to live there with the strict Mimi, purposefully rebelling against her. He struggled at school, simply because he hated it so much, and often snuck over to his mother's house.

It was she who bought him his first guitar, taught him to play it, and supported his interest in music. He was dreadfully crushed when she was run over and killed by a drunken off-duty police officer (though he provided the whole NYPD with a full set of bullet proof vest a week before his murder), especially since he was only 17.

No child should have to go through so much grief and sorrow, but it shaped who John was and always would be. It also showed me and thousands of other people that even if you have a terribly childhood, you can still be successful and happy.

There's a reason why he inspired generation after generation. He succeeded because he accepted who he was; to him, success simply means to be yourself.
♠ ♠ ♠
:') how gooey.