Status: Active. More comments mean more updates! :)

Forcibly Wedded: The Billionaire’s Convenient Wife

An Invitation to Dinner

It was fortunate Double Bay had a series of stylish boutiques and charming restaurants and cafés for Anzu to amuse herself. By midday, she had explored, window shopped and exhausted herself into gnawing hunger.

She wandered aimlessly on Cross street; searching for a nice, quiet café to have lunch and put up her weary feet. Sheyna's jumped out at her, and she made the decision to eat here.

"Good day," a pretty blond thing greeted her. "What will you be having?"

Anzu contemplated the menu she'd taken up, chewing on her lower lip.

"I'll have a Caesar's salad and a tall glass of iced tea, please."

"Coming up!" The young girl, who Anzu guessed couldn't be older than seventeen, brought her order, placing everything neatly on the table. "If there's anything else I can get you, let me know, okay?"

"Thank you."

"Cheerful, isn't she?" A voice remarked, and Anzu swung around to see a tall, slender looking woman dressed in a plain white T-shirt and faded blue jeans. "I've never known anyone to be so happy while waiting tables."

"Do you know that girl?"

A row of straight white teeth dazzled her. "She is my niece. Darcy is my brother's only daughter." The woman held out her hand. "I'm Sheyna Alexander. I own this place. Mind if I joined you?"

With a smile, Anzu grasped her hand. "Anzu Mazaki. And no, I don't mind at all."

She took the vacant chair across the table, leaning on her forehands. "Do I detect a touch of cockney in your accent? Londoner, right?"

Anzu took a sip of the chilled iced tea. "You have an excellent ear for accents, Ms. Alexander."

"Sheyna," she corrected. "Calling me 'Ms. Alexander' reminds me of my mother, and I do not want to be like her."

"Alright, Sheyna," Anzu said obligingly. "Do you surf? I noticed your tan is very dark."

Sheyna laughed. "It's a dead giveaway, huh?" She pushed a hand through her white blond hair, the sun catching the darker streaks of gold. "When I'm not running this place, you can usually find me at Bondi beach, riding the waves."

"Sheyna!" A petite brunette yelled from behind the counter. "There is a Mr. Nichols on the phone for you."

Sheyna flashed an apologetic smile. "Ah, duty calls," she tossed her pale head with a sigh. "It was nice meeting you, Anzu."

"Likewise."

No sooner had Sheyna departed, Anzu's mobile pealed on the tabletop. She picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hey, love." A low male voice rumbled. "Did you forget my flight leaves in an hour? You were supposed to see me off, remember?"

An unladylike oath slipped through her lips. "I thought that was tomorrow, Liam. I'm in a café on Cross street."

"So, you have forgotten me?" he rasped his unhappiness.

"How could I forget you?" she smiled wryly. "It's your flight time I forgot."

"Ah, well." He resigned. "What have you got planned today? Will you be having dinner with a certain business tycoon?"

"Thankfully, no." Anzu grated. "I don't think I can stomach another session of him degrading my sister."

"Even if what he speaks is the truth?"

She frowned at her cell phone. "Oh, Liam. Not you too."

He laughed. "You're always in denial when it comes to that girl. As your older brother, I am inclined to amuse you, but…"

"You think Ayaka is just like her mother: selfish and opportunistic." Anzu picked up.

"Don't forget avaricious," he quipped.

"As if you'd let me," she sighed. "What am I to do, Liam? Help me."

His tone was regrettable. "I can't this time. You have to make your own decisions. By God woman, you're twenty-five! I won't always be here to give you advice."

"Well, can I count on your support? Even if I make a fool of myself or do something completely stupid?"

"Like believe your sister is the innocent party in this matter?"

"Yeah," she replied miserably.

"Of course. That is what family is for." Anzu heard the smile in his voice. "I'm glad I can call you my sister, Anzu. I thank God everyday for bringing you into my life."

"Oh, Liam…"

"Don't you dare start crying on me!" Liam groused, harrumphing something about women and their excessively emotional behavior.

She laughed, simultaneously brushing the moisture from her eyes. "I promise, I won't."

"Good," he responded gruffly. "When will you be returning home?"

"Three weeks from today. I haven't had a vacation in quite some time, and Zach was kind enough to offer me this trip."

"Yes, how nice of Zach," Liam quickly changed the subject. "Have you phoned your mother recently? She and father plan to spend a week in Ireland visiting his relatives."

"She told me last night." On his end, Anzu heard a woman over the PA system, and she caught Liam's sigh. "You have to go?"

"Regrettably, yes." He sighed a second time. "I'll see you in three weeks, love."

"Have a safe flight, Liam. Call me when you get home, okay?"

Anzu kept up with a few minutes of casual conversation before Liam terminated the call.

She filched a couple of bills from her pocket, paying for her half-eaten salad and iced tea, and leaving a generous tip. A gust a warm air greeted her outside, and at once, she started for the hotel.

There was a package waiting for her on the register counter at the hotel, and Anzu inquired who it was from.

"The young man who delivered it didn't leave a name," Heidi, the receptionist, explained. "He did, however, mention it was from someone very important."

Anzu guessed that the woman's curiosity rivaled her own, and might be waiting on her to open the package. She wasn't about to oblige

"Thank you," she said, as politely as she could.

"No problem, it's all part of the hotel's services." Her gaze flickered to the package one last time. "Have a nice day."

Anzu entered her suite, the flimsy package burning a hole in her hand. The white envelope attached to the front had her name scripted on it in bold black ink. The neat, slanting scrawl written by a steady hand.

She tugged the envelope free, put a finger under the seam, and tore it open. A white folded sheet of paper fell out, and she unfurled it.

Ms. Mazaki,

Have dinner with me tonight, 7:30pm at Galileo.

My chauffeur will collect you at your hotel.

S. Kaiba.


Anzu blinked and read the note at least another four times, slashes of rose highlighting her cheeks. Such typical male behavior! She narrowed her gaze on the box and wondered at its contents.

There is only one way to find out, a voice echoed inside her head.

Five minutes later and she was still staring at the package on the coffee table as if it might be a bomb waiting to detonate. Where is your courage, Anzu? she thought.

Undoing the tape, she opened the flaps; a plastic card falling into her lap. She picked it up and tore off the Post-it attached at its end.

Use this key to enter the VIP room. I'll be waiting.

Anzu gnashed her teeth and schooled her anger. Was she supposed to click her heels and salute? Acquiesce without a single protest?

She sighed.

He may be the most arrogant male she'd ever had the displeasure of meeting, but the invitation sounded important in its own haughty way.

Yet.

She didn't want to be having this dinner with him; detested the thought, actually. It rankled her. And in the back of her mind, she cursed Seto Kaiba.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! 2 comments, 9 readers and 1 subscriber! I send my thanks to More Original and PUSHinUPtheDaisIES (formerly known as Sucking.Latex.) for the nice comments. :)