Status: Just started this story awhile ago. Please put any thoughts or suggestions in my comments! Thanks! :) --- Copyright © 2010 by pinkelephant

Stuck in Chains

Chapter 1

The rain falls heavily to the ground in sheets. Even though it is 4 o'clock, there is no light to be seen outside, except for the dim glow of the streetlights.

I am running in the rain, trying not to get any wetter than I already am. But it is too late for that - I'm chilled to the bone. Rain keeps hitting my face as I attempt to navigate the sidewalk, blinded by every throw of rain lashed in my direction by the unrelenting wind. You hear the heavy 'thud' of the footfalls, one at a time, until you know that they are falling in sync, in a pattern. It's one of the only sounds to be heard all along the road. I squinted past what was left of my eye makeup to discover that all this time, I've been running in the wrong direction. Cold, confused, and feeling hopeless, my run abruptly turned into a walk.

Walking aimlessly, I hear footfalls. But they aren't my footfalls, are they? No, I am going too slowly to be able to splash around the still water on the sidewalk so quickly.

Who is around me? I steal a fast glance backward to see a man running toward me. Fast. I'm unable to determing his features, or age, due to the ski mask and the hoodie he's wearing.

My body isn't responding to my brain fast enough. What felt like two minutes of picking up my feet and making them run took only 5 seconds. The mysterious man is gaining ground. I clutch onto my purse and begin to panic. Damn it! I thought, I ran inro a dead end street! Hoping the man who's pursuiting me doesn't realize this, I duck into the alley behind a diner, my heart pounding so hard that it was hard to hear my own thoughts. Phew! I'm glad that I lost him, otherwise......

"Good to see you again, Angelina. I've been waiting for this moment a long time."

With the rapid movements of his arm, he'd struck me. Then everything faded into blackness.