Status: newest story; what do you think?

When Grass Began

Powerless

I shivered, even under the warmth of these clothes and Caleb. He seemed to be all that was left of my life. Even Melrose was going to drift away.

"Caleb," I forced his name out of my mouth. I felt like my tongue was sandpaper and my mouth was the desert heat. I couldn't speak or even eat right without having to swallow large amounts of water. Even water wouldn't cure this thirst.

He touched my cheek with his finger, tracing my jawline, like Hal used to do every morning when we woke up. Suddenly I felt a sharp pang in my chest and I couldn't breathe as well as normal. I tried to hide my unnatural breathing but Caleb caught on pretty fast.

"Remy, are you alright?" He lowered his hand from my face. No, don't leave me. I didn't like the sudden change in movement.

I shivered some more, most of it being caused by my own force. I didn't want his comforting to end this quickly. But sadly it was coming to an end.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Just feeling kind of down," I said and snuggled up to him, my whole body fitting perfectly with his. Caleb snuggled me back and put his lips to my forehead while I sighed. I missed simple love like this. It was good to have it back.

"You know you don't have to lie to me," he whispered in my ear. His hot breath sent shivers down my spine. It was so sexy and I couldn't ignore the rush of emotions that had just sprung from my heart. I tilted my head up to look him in the eye. He looked back, concern washed over his face.

"Shh, I'll be okay," I said quietly. Then I closed my eyes and kissed him lightly. His lips were thin and wonderful to embrace with my own lips. The thirst was welling up inside my throat, causing my whole mouth to become dry. But I didn't want to stop this moment that we were finally having.

Caleb was very gentle as he slowly let his lips run away from me, smiling as he did so. Then he got on his knees and picked me up like the groom usually does to the bride right after they get married. He looked into my eyes once more, then stood up all the way. He was walking up the stairs, probably to my room.

My room.

Were we about to have sex? I hadn't had sex in a long while, and I hoped that I wasn't too shabby.

He lay me on my bed very delicately like I was some special flower that he wouldn't dare break apart. Finally he lifted himself onto my bed and lay next to me, holding me close.

And we stayed like that for the rest of the night. My worries about being awful at sex vanished as we fell into a nice sleep in each other's arms.