Status: Will be Posted after completely finished.

Unrequited Love

Things Change

Unrequited Love Chapter One

Things change, all the time, every second of every day, things change. When we moved to California we thought things would change, but they haven’t. If anything things have gotten worse. Four years ago my family, including my mother, father, and older brother, moved to California so my mother could attend the finest institution. Before you start think she’s a genius, a brilliant scientist, someone who could establish the cure for cancer, please let me clear your assumptions. She’s not helping the sick, she is the sick.

I know every story starts out with the sickness or the moving away of the characters, or the death of somebody, mine is no different. However the difference is that all of the above is entitled to happen. If you ask me how I know this…before it happens, I wouldn’t be able to tell you the answer. There’s no answer for it. Maybe it came to me in a dream, or a feeling, a physic connection? Well that’s what I told the doctors anyways. They think I’m mad like my mother; maybe I am. Who really knows anymore?

“I think we’d all have to be mad to make a world like this.” My eyes refocus, I’ve been spacing out for so long that I forgot I had company.

“I think you’re the only mad one here.” A devastating smile swept across Riven’s pale face.
“Maybe that’s true, Larisa, but what’s fun about being the only sane one?” he reached out and brushed a stray strand of hair behind my ear. I smiled slightly as blood rushed to my face. Riven’s warm thumb traced the soft skin across my cheek.

His head snapped towards the door, “They’re coming,” he whispered, and was gone within moments.

I stood up as the front door to our small apartment opened to reveal my father, and irate older brother. “What’s the matter dad?”

“Its mom,” Anthony Junior, my older brother, glared at his senior. “You know she’s never going to get better! Why do we even bother anymore?”

“She’s your mother young man, and I will not have you speaking of such disrespect!”

“I don’t need this; you and mom are just holding me back! You’re holding back Isa too!”

“We are a family and we stick together. You can go to your room if you think I care for such disloyalty!” My father, Anthony Senior yelled. I stood at the sidelines looking on at the scene that unfolded in front of me.

“I could just leave if you like. I’m of legal age. I don’t have to stay!” My brother shot back.
My brother was still glaring at my father as his shoulders slumped forward and he let out a shaky breath, “I’m going back to your mother’s room please drop this attitude before I come back. If you don’t you can leave, and don’t come back.”

The air swept across my face as my father moved toward the door. He violently swung the door open; as it slammed shut my brother yelled, “I hate you!” The door shut with a big explosion. Aj was red in the face with anger; his chest was heaving up and down from the rush of air he inhaled and exhaled way too fast. In time he calmed down, and then mumbled a small, “I’m going to my room, don’t come bothering me Isa!”

I simply nodded as a cloud of depression swept through my mind; something bad was going to happen. It was a feeling deep within my being, something I couldn’t begin to explain. It felt like those dreams I’ve been having, but I didn’t really know what that meant.

Hours passed, and then some more; all I could do was pace around the living room, worrying. Usually when my father goes to the hospital he’s gone for three or four hours, tops then comes to check on me and my brother, and then he’s gone again to spend another four or so hours with my mother. It’s been seven hours, and he hasn’t checked on us yet. There hasn’t been a note, a call, a text, anything.

I didn’t want to be conscious to the darkness of the situation, so I paced. I tried not to believe, or think about what this could mean, but I already knew. My dreams were coming true; I could feel it, deep within, I knew.

An abrupt knocking at the door tore me away from my pacing. I rushed to the door as I yelled for Aj to come into the room. I knew by the end of this conversation I wouldn’t be up to much of anything, especially trying to tell my brother the same exact thing I will be told. I opened the door hesitantly, and just as I expected a middle aged man in a police uniform was standing in front of me. Aj came out a minute later, eyes blood shot, and smelling like pot.

“Dude, so not cool,” I mumbled as he stood next to me.

“What!?” He hissed.

“Is this the Thyme residence?” The policeman asked the young adults in the doorway.

“What’s it to you?” Aj asked rather rudely. I elbowed him in the gut and glared at him from the corner of my eye.

“I’m Mr. Rodgers of the local police department, Mr. and Mrs. Thyme. There’s been an accident. We need you to come with us, both of you.”

“What’s this about?” I asked slightly, still, hoping for the best.

“It’s your mother. She, well she escaped again. We have people looking for her, all over. Your father’s out there looking for her. You should come with us down to the station, where you’re safe.”

“We’re ganna stay here,” Aj spat.

“Look son, either way you’re going down to the station. It could be free for your safety, willing, or it can be an arrest for pot, use and possession, you chose.”

“Fuck! Who cares!? It’s just our crazy mother, what’s she really ganna do!? I mean really! This is ridiculous.” I rolled my eyes at my brother, and motioned for the officer to lead us to his car. Aj was complaining all the way down the driveway and even as he climbed into the car.

“WOULD YOU JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!??!?!” Everyone stared at me; it was rare to see me blow up, extraordinary to see me blow this much! However, it did get my brother to shut his mouth. It was a long fifteen minute drive to the station, every minute in silence.

It’s been another hour since we’ve been sitting at the station, grasping at any information that could possibly give us, well me, an idea of what’s going on with our parents. No such luck. It’s taken too long, it wasn’t like this in my dreams; they were quick, painless. I know what’s about to happen but I wish that it wasn’t.

Phone calls….
Pagers beeping loud…
Blue-Suits running around hectically…
Police sirens…

And then it really does happen. Five phones start ringing at once, all with different people screaming, crying, or worrying. Then the pagers go off, police officers answer the pages and it’s the same story. Next they started running, running from the main office and to the squad cars. The sirens turn on, loud a clear ring through the night silence. The lights flash red and blue against my face. They flash blue, like the waves of emotion threatening to drown me; red, like the blood stains on white. It never stays one color for too long, until they die away, too far to be unleashed against my honey colored skin.

“What’s going on!?” my brother tries to gain the attention of someone, anyone that could tell him what’s going on, unsuccessfully. He tries, and tries again; soon he gets annoyed and punches one of the officers. Everyone stops; the setting is so serene; no one dares to move. “TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!”

“It’s your mother and father.” Reggie, the officer who was punched by my brother, says holding his jaw.

“What about them?” My brother asked, voice getting low, and soft all in one significant drop.
“I don’t think I want to be the one to tell you bad news, son.” He said, clapping his hand against Aj’s shoulder.

Thirty minutes later the sirens came back, along with one police officer. She walked straight up to us, took off her cap, and bent her head down, and mumbled, “You should come with me to the hospital.”

White, sterol rooms…
Clean cut, disinfectant doctors running around…
Gurneys holding blood stained people…
0100 time of death…
0132 time of death…

My mother died 32 minutes after my father did. Apparently it was an accident; my father found my mother, convinced her to get in the car, and take her somewhere safe. The car veered off the road, and now they are dead.

“WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME ANTHONY!?!?! TELL ME NOW!!!” My mother yelled at my father as he drove down the highway.

“I’m taking you back to the hospital, sweetie, so that you are safe again.” He tried concentrating on the road, but it was hard with Elizabeth’s wails of sorrow, and maniac voice yelling at him, with her small fists pummeling into his arm. He took his hand off the steering wheel, for the slightest of seconds to hold my mother’s punches back, but it was long enough for her to start thrashing and for Anthony to lose control of the wheel. And then the vision went black…that was the first dream I had had. I had that dream a year ago, but I never knew it could actually happen. I was so young and naïve then, and that hasn’t changed all that much.

A doctor in a white over coat walked up to us, holding a clipboard under his arm, and wringing a pair of plastic surgery gloves in his hand, “We are terribly sorry, we did the best that we could, but there wasn’t saving them. Time of Death: 0100 for your father, and 0132 for your mother. We are terribly sorry.” Then he walked away.

Aj and I had nothing to say, we just sat back on the uncomfortable, plastic chairs in the waiting room, and stared blankly at the floor.