By The Swing

A Prank That Lead to An Invitation

I woke up and saw Luna staring at me, excited. It seemed that she was hungry. I sat up and jumped out of my bed. I slowly walked up to my mini fridge and checked what was left inside.
“Let’s see, Luna. There’s some chocolate cake in here, oh, wait, you can’t eat chocolate,” I muttered, “There is some coleslaw, rice, chicken, and a bit of lasagna.”
I had no dog food, so I had to go to the store later.
I got two pieces of chicken and put it in a bowl with a bit of biscuits and lasagna. The food seemed fine for Luna.
Quite quickly, I washed my face and brushed my teeth, trying to find myself.
I checked my schedule. It was Wednesday today. A bit of joy sprang up in my heart.
“Today is going to be a happy day. And you know why, Luna?” I asked joyfully, “Because today is the release date of the Nintendo Wii!”
There was only one downside. No doubt that there are going to be so many people in line. And I heard stories about people camping out near the store. But of course, Luna’s dog food was first priority.
I then heated up some water for a bath. I noticed that Luna was a bit too dirty so I heated up for her first.
As I looked again at Luna she seemed to be bored. I remembered when she looked at the T.V., so I turned it on. Spongebob was on. Luna barked at the sponge. I don’t know, but it was one funny sight. I sat down beside her on the foot of my bed. I laughed and she barked, especially when it came to my favorite retro shows, Bewitched and The Three Stooges.
I noticed the time, and I called Luna. She was calm when I bathed her. Not like Aunt Margie’s bull dog. I remembered that I was the one who almost took a bath.
After five minutes, Luna was like a new microwave out of the box. So clean.
I knew I had to be early if I wanted to make sure I got the console I wanted. So I quickly took a shower and changed. I almost forgot where Luna was going to stay. I trusted her to behave.
“Now, Luna, you stay here and behave, OK?” I ordered her, “You be a good girl. I will try to get back soon. I will put down some water for you. And if you need to do your stuff, just do it here. ”
I put a pile of newspapers on an empty space, far away from my important things. I also left the T.V. on.
Luna gave a bark that meant she understood. I gave her a slight pat on the head, and I went off. I was worried. Leaving a room to a dog I didn’t know much. But I was loosing my time.

The road didn’t have any much traffic which was good. I stopped at a pet store. It’s sign looked like a fish bowl. When I stepped inside, I suddenly felt a gush of aroma. As if I was to enter a fancy cafe. But of course, it didn’t smell like coffee. It smelled like fish food.
All sorts of pets were inside. Turtles, cats, fish, dogs, birds, mice, snakes, and even spiders. I was tempted to get a spider and snake though.
Then I saw two school girls crowding a section of the store. I tried to look at what they were marvelling at. It was hamsters. I remembered the time when I was a kid and I loved hamsters.
“Oh, if only Erika was here,” said one of them, “she would love this, Minette!”
“That is so true, Celine!” agreed the other.
I then proceeded to find the store owner.
“Is there something I can do for you?” a weird voice said at the back of me.
I jumped. And when I found my heart, I looked around my back. I saw a man, with a parrot on his shoulder. I fixed myself up and talked straight.
“Yes, I would like to know if you are selling dog food and a leash,” I explained to the person.
“Oh yes, yes, we do have things like that! Cracker! Cracker!”
“Huh?”
I observed that the owner wasn’t speaking, but the parrot. I laughed quite hard. Then the owner himself laughed too.
“Oh, it’s just a joke, mate! Polly here is just practicing, the ol’ bloke’s accent!” Now it was the owner who was speaking instead of the parrot.
“Well, ya was finding some dog food, aye?”
“Yes, also a leash,” I answered.
He then said I was lucky since there was only one leash left. And there was only one package left of dog food.
I got the things and paid a woman who, I presumed to be the cashier.
“Sorry about my dad, friend,” she apologized, ‘He’s been training Polly for weeks and can’t get a hold of himself.”
“It’s OK. He is quite funny anyway.
I waved goodbye and heard the Polly’s voice when I was about to leave.
“G’day, mate! Cracker! Cracker!”
“Oh, you’ll get your cracker, don’t worry,” said the owner.

I got off my car at the gadget store. It wasn’t open yet but there were some people already at the door. Actually, there were about 80 people in line. I got quite dissapointed but I knew that there will be some serious buyers. But that didn’t stop me from doing a bit of fun.
I decided to get on my car again. As I got in, I took out something from the back of the car. It was my old megaphone. I planned something mischeivous for a whole minute. Then I saw another store for gadgets (which many people called Techno-World) at the other end of the mall. I looked at my watch and knew that the store with the Wiis was going to open in a few minutes.
“Techno-World is giving out free Nintendo Wiis for only ten minutes! I don’t know about you, but I want to save my money!” I shouted through the megaphone.
Miracoulusly, a stampede of buyers came chasing my car. If you were in a helicopter flying over the mall, maybe you could see ants going around it. I didn’t even know how and why it worked. I then drove quickly to the real store. I saw only one buyer left in bewilderment. He was sitting down. I got off my car and talked to the guy.
“Hm. You don’t seem to be in the mood to get a free Wii.” I told the confused man.
“I wanted to but I almost got ran over!” he exclaimed.
“What’s your name?” I asked.
“Jack,” he replied.
“Well, Jack, today is your lucky day. Because you don’t have to wait in line!”
“What do you mean?”
“I tricked those people into thinking they’re going to get a free Wii! Now we’re the first two people to get one!”
He screamed in joy and thanked me. Then one of the store’s employees opened the door. He seemed quite surprised.
“Weren’t there so many people in line just 5 minutes ago?” the employee asked.
“Not anymore,” Jack told him.
We then got our consoles and some games and were happy and content. The store people then congratulated us.
“Just keep this a secret Jack,” I reminded him, “if the police find out, they can kill us.”
“OK,” he cheerfully answered, “You know, I want to thank you. How about we try our new toys at my place! We’re going to have a party!”
“Oh, that would be great!” I said, “But I have a dog I need to take care of though.”
“That’s fine. We welcome dogs in our place. Especially my friends.”
I decided that it was OK. He told me his address. We waved at each other and left quickly. Since we heard shouts like: “Hey, there aren’t any free things here!”