Welcome to Ruby City

Five

Dorothy ran. By this time her side ached, but she had to get to the platform. Jack was about to be killed. And she still had no idea where Toto was. Her heart was pummeling her lungs as it beat fast and hard. The man she presumed was the Wizard motioned for everyone to quiet down, and they did.

“People of Ruby City, we are here to mourn the loss of our Queen!”

The people jeered and threw rotten objects onto the platform.

“But we are also here to expose the man responsible for her death, and the death of my beloved sister and brother!”

Dorothy squeezed through a small space in the lines of people, keeping her eyes on the men. As she made her way to the front she caught the eye of Jack and he looked terrified.

“As the sun sets on our righteous land, bring forth the criminal so we shall see his face!”

With one last shove she found herself right before the platform, “Wait!”

All eyes turned to her, “Wait!”

The Wizard squinted at the ground, looking for her beyond the light, “Whose there?!”

“Me, sir,” Dorothy placed her hands on the platform and gazed up at the shining man, “I need your help!”

The Wizard’s face was the color of a tomato, orange in contrast to his suit and city. He leaned forward to get a good look at the girl, “Come on up then, I’m always happy to help!”

Hesitantly, Dorothy started up the steps, careful to not knock the noose hanging low from the gallows. When she passed Jack muttered under his breath, “What are you doing?”

The Wizard laughed like a jolly Santa Clause, “What can I help you with, girl?”

“I,” she glanced back at Jack, and then out into the crowd, “I have to find my dog, sir.”

He laughed again, “Alright, what is the little dog’s name?”

“Toto, sir.” Dorothy began to fidget under the gaze of the hundreds of people.

“Then call his name, girl. He will come if you shall call.”

Dorothy remembered something Jack had said to her when they first met. ‘You wouldn’t be here if you hadn’t wanted to be in the first place,’ he said. She cleared her throat and faced the crowd once more, “Toto,” she called, hoping her theory was true, “Toto! Toto?!”

A strange rumble shook the city and all eyes lay upon Jack. He had doubled over, still half held up by the executioner. The black hair on his head began to spread, and his ears began to point. His feet turned to paws in front of her very eyes; it was working. Gasps filled the crowd and a familiar voice cried out.

“Traitor!” Birdie climbed the steps, anger clear on her face, “She has the slippers!”

The executioner let go of Jack, and the man turned dog sprang into action. He took a stand between Dorothy and Birdie, baring his teeth and growling from deep in his chest. Birdie stopped in her tracks, and pointed a crooked finger her way, “She is Dorothy Gale, the one who killed the Witch!”

Dorothy scooped Jack the dog into her arms and backed away, “I don’t know what you’re talking about! I didn’t kill anyone!”

“She covered the slippers in mud!”

“She’s lying!”

Birdie lunged at Dorothy, grabbing her by the hair. The Wizard had called in guards and they easily apprehended Dorothy and Jack the dog. They were taken from the platform and into the castle. Inside, the marble tiles were different shades of red and the ceilings were infinite. Dorothy clung to Jack and soon found herself being shoved into a small, dark room. A door was shut behind her and Jack jumped from her arms. He whimpered and yapped.

“Jack, Jack, Jack!” Dorothy whispered.

The little Toto look-alike morphed back into his original form, accompanied only by a small quake. Jack pulled his coat off and draped it over Dorothy, “What did you do that for?!”

“I thought I would be helping!”

Jack flopped back on the floor of their cell. The guilt had started to ebb, but reared back once Jack was by her side. She unfastened the flap of Jack’s pack and looked inside; just the apples, book, and knife.

“How do you still have that?”

“I found it when I went back to the road. I thought you might want it when I found you.”

Jack smirked, “You’re right. Give it here.”

Dorothy removed his coat and slid the pack off. Jack rifled through the pack, seemingly looking for something and to Dorothy’s surprise he pulled out an object Dorothy had not seen. It was a gold coin. The girl watched carefully as Jack pulled more from his pack- a red handkerchief, a set of silver rings, and one white dove.

“Where did all of that come from?” Dorothy wondered.

“You are looking at a grade A magician, Dorothy. And a very grateful one at that; if you hadn’t picked up my pack we wouldn’t be able to get out of here as easily.”

“How are we going to get out of here anyhow,” Dorothy pressed her face to a set of bars in the window, “We’re awfully high up.”

“Dorothy, come here,” Jack motioned her over, “Take this dove and let him out the window, he will take a message to the Good Witch.”

“I thought you said she wasn’t a good witch.”

“In times like these, beggars can’t be choosers, Dorothy. Now hurry.”

She took the bird to the window and passed him hand over hand through the bars. Once he was safely on the other side she threw him out as far as she could and he took off to the North. After she had done her job she stepped back from the window just in time to be missed by the flying silver rings. The rings collided with the bars, and one of them stuck as if it were cast around the bar. Jack really was a magician.

“How do you feel about heights, Dorothy?”

“I can’t climb down that, Jack! I just can’t!”

“Have some courage, Dorothy! I said I would help you find your way home, and I’m true to my word.”