Welcome to Ruby City

Six

Jack said they had to wait for the right moment. The sun had removed itself from the sky once more. Dorothy wasn’t even sure she was still in OZ. This OZ was so much different than where she had first landed. This land was just as magnificent, but it was dreadfully darker. Here she wasn’t able to help anyone else very much. The poor Scarecrow; the last she had seen of him, he had been running after her in the forest. But he hadn’t ended up where she and Toto had. And poor Toto!

“Are you ready to jump?”

Dorothy snapped out of her trance, nearly in tears. She had slipped her arms into the sleeves of his oversized coat to keep warm. Jack on the other hand had rolled up the sleeves of his white button up, ready for work. The silver rings still hung from the center bar in the window and now Jack stood with the red handkerchief covering the window. She rocked to her crusting feet and went to stand before the window.

“What are the magic words?” Jack asked.

“Abracadabra?”

“You have to say it with feeling, or it won’t work.”

Dorothy mustered up as much feeling as she could for the silly word, “Abracadabra!”

Jack yanked the cloth from the window and behold- only the center bar was left intact! Jack slung his pack over his shoulders and began to climb out the window. He grabbed onto the bottom ring and stuck his head back into the room.

“Are you coming?”

Dorothy nodded and took hold of the bar to pull herself up into the sill. Jack’s hand pressed against her lower back so she wouldn’t fall as she swung her legs to the outside. He pulled the handkerchief from his shirt pocket and handed it to her.

“Hold it like a parachute, and jump.”

“What?!” Dorothy yelped.

“Shh! Like a parachute. Both ends on the same side together, it makes a parachute,” Jack looked her straight in the eyes, “You have to trust me, or it won’t work. Now, jump!”

Dorothy nodded, took one look at the ground far below her, gulped, and slid from the window sill. It took two moments exactly before the parachute poofed with air and she took flight. The handkerchief had expanded to hold her weight and dropped her lightly on the grass. Once she landed the handkerchief returned to its former size, and she craned her neck to see Jack still dangling from the window. When he had seen she had landed safely he placed both feet firmly against the side of the tower, and tugged at the rings. They wouldn’t budge. He gave one more tug, using as much strength as he could, and they popped loose.

Dorothy yelped as he fell and covered her eyes. She didn’t hear him hit the ground. With a fear of seeing Jack dead on the grass, Dorothy peeked through her fingers and saw Jack was not dead on the ground. Instead there were only feathers floating in the air. A tap on her shoulder made her jump.

“We have to hurry, Dorothy.”

“Oh, Jack! I thought you were a goner!”

“Yeah, well, I’m not. Let’s go.”

The two fugitives used the shadows and the night to the best of their abilities. This time Jack took Dorothy’s hand as they traveled and it was nothing like Birdie’s grip. He was careful to not pull her or let her trip. When they came to the edge of the castle’s grounds the flying apes that had taken Jack and Toto away were on guard. The strange creatures shuffled about with their black skinned wings tucked to their backs, looking for any sign of intruders.

Jack pulled Dorothy close and whispered, “Just like last time. Keep going even if I’m not with you. Understand?”

Dorothy nodded.

“Once you’re clear of the castle go the way you came.” Jack started out from the shadows, but Dorothy grabbed his arm.

“What if they recognize me?!”

Jack pulled the ribbons from her hair and straightened it out with his fingers, and then he pulled the hood of the coat up over her head, “Run.”

Dorothy hugged Jack once more before they moved, and this time Jack hugged her back. Leaving the shadows was difficult for Dorothy. They tiptoed across the grass as quickly as possible, hoping they wouldn’t be seen by the apes. But it wasn’t being seen that tipped them off, it was being smelled. One of the apes caught their scent and jerked to face them; he growled when he saw them.

The other three apes nearby caught on and they took to sprinting for the two escapees. Jack pushed Dorothy to run, and she did, just like last time. She could hear Jack running behind her, and she could hear the apes lumbering after him. They were almost to the street when the first took flight and the others followed. Dorothy pumped her arms and legs, trying to get as far away as she could. Jack was right behind her. They were in the street; the same one Dorothy had arrived from, the end of the red brick road. Just when she thought nothing could get any better, Jack yanked her into a side street and ran, pulling her along. This time she didn’t mind as much, because this time her life depended on it.

They ran through the streets and allies, looking for a way out. When it seemed they were hopelessly lost, Jack was pulled through a doorway and so was Dorothy. The door was slammed behind them, and in the middle holding Jack’s hand stood Birdie. She quickly let go and tackled Dorothy in a hug.

“Oh, Dorothy! I’m so sorry! I didn’t want to say those things!”

“But you did.” Dorothy pulled away.

“I know, but you have to understand,” pleaded Birdie, “Those slippers are no good. I can’t let you be responsible for them; they will ruin your life.”

“It looks as if you’ve ruined her life more than those shoes ever could.” Jack snapped.

“Says the magician! Dorothy, this man is a known killer, why would you want to be in cohorts with him?!”

“You accused me of killing someone, Birdie,” Dorothy knocked her arms away, “You accused me, and called me a traitor, and you were the reason all of this bad has happened!”

“That’s a hefty accusation, Dorothy,” Birdie seethed. The red girl grabbed at Dorothy, only to be knocked to the floor by Jack. The girl cocked her head at the thin black stick in his hand, “If you are looking to play dirty, Jack, use your hands!”

The red began to melt off Birdie and was replaced by green and black. Dorothy stared wide-eyed at the sight before her. Birdie was the Wicked Witch of the West. The peach of her skin melted to an acidic green, and her button nose lengthened to a point. Birdie had a cruel, black heart. She stood languidly and smiled a crooked smile.

“Dorothy, I’m going to need those slippers.”

Jack yelled for her to stay away, but she heeded not. With a wave of her hand Jack was against the wall, short of breath. Dorothy was ripe for the pickings. The Wicked Witch stepped closer, using a sweet voice to persuade the young girl.

“Dorothy, we don’t have to do this.”

“I’m not giving them to you.”

“You’re only making it harder on yourself.”

“Where’s Toto?!”

The Witch stopped and smiled, “I don’t know. I gave him to my assistants with wings. Who knows what they’ve done with that little mutt by now.”

She lunged at Dorothy, knocking her over and clawing at her feet. Dorothy kicked at the Witch, hoping to injure her. The green woman caught hold of the girl’s ankle but could not succeed in removing the slipper. While she was distracted Jack pulled himself together and swung the black stick in the direction of the Witch. A bright green light flew from the tip and zapped the Witch. She screamed in pain and let go of Dorothy. Jack pulled Dorothy up and they ran from the room, into the ally and out the other end.

“What do we do now?!” Dorothy yelled over the roar of wings overhead.

“We run, like always!” Jack answered.

The pair ran for as long as they could in the narrow allies, where the apes could not get to them. When it came time to sprint to the forest Dorothy ran flat out, nearly in line with Jack. The apes dove and grabbed Dorothy by the collar of the coat; Jack turned and flung a zap of magic at the ape carrying Dorothy. She dropped like a rock to the ground, knocking Jack onto his back. She stood quickly and pulled Jack to his feet, only to pull him into the dark, swamp of a forest on the outskirts of Ruby City.