Desperate Cage

Friendly Trees

The school had apparently been built just last year, so this was the first year it was open. I gulped and put my hands into my pockets. It was a pretty big school, but as I went inside I realized it wasn't big enough. There were kids everywhere, packed into the small hallways. Loud voices filled the rooms and I couldn't understand how the school hadn't blown up with frustration yet.

I looked around the classroom to find anyone who looked friendly. There was a girl with big hair and yellow teeth, a guy with a loud, obnoxious voice, and a girl drawing on her desk. No one else was here yet. I didn't really make friends with guys easily, but I did make friends with girls.

The big-haired chick looked pretty annoying, so I didn't go up to her and say hey. I went up to the artist girl instead. She looked really sweet and my gaydar was going up. Maybe she'd have a thing for transgendered kids.

***

A few weeks later my new friends seemed to be the best. They were accepting, almost all of them were lesbians, and they were really funny and artistic. My kind of group.

One day when I was chillin' with my new buds, a hot girl with dark hair and a nice chest pulled me over. I looked at her and she looked at me, and I could feel an electric surge between us. I wondered if she could feel it, too.

Turns out her name was Stephanie, she was bisexual and thought I was hot. A part of me thought that maybe she believed that I was a guy, so I didn't say anything. I smiled and told her my name was Dave and I moved out of downtown. Stephanie smiled a little smile and gave me a hug. She walked away from me, seeming happy.

I walked back toward my friends. They gave me curious looks and told me some things about Stephanie that I didn't know. "She's a whore," "She's fucked so many guys, but she's never fucked a girl," "Stephanie is hot," things like that. I didn't want to believe most of the things they said, so I disregarded them. Stephanie didn't seem too bad to me.

"Alright you guys, I'll take all that into consideration after I get her in my pants," I told them. A few people giggled but most of them sighed and rolled their eyes, like this happened all the time with her. I shook my head. It couldn't be true.

***

It was later in the evening and one of my neighbors named John was over. We were sitting on my bed, looking through Playboy magazine. We found a lot of hot girls, but wondered why some of them were even Playboys.

My mom called me for dinner, so I told John that I had to go. He nodded and gave me a hug, opening the door to the great cold night. I shut it tight and locked the door, running toward the kitchen to get a whiff of the delicious food my mom always made.

"So, Ana, who was that boy? His hair looked pretty crazy," my mom told me. I answered with a grunt and scooped up some mashed potatoes. "Alright, if you won't talk to me, that sucks for you." I giggled a little and brought my food upstairs.

While eating and watching a show TV, I heard screaming and things shattering. My heart jumped into my throat as worst-case scenarios popped into my mind.

I jumped out of bed, tip-toeing toward the stairs. I could see faint shadows and I listened carefully to the yelling of the two people. After a little while I realized it was my parents who were yelling at each other. Sadness crawled onto my soul like vines spreading out onto a fence. I didn't want this, I didn't want my parents to do this.