Falling for Someone Unexpected

Falling for Someone Unexpected Chapter 16

“I thought your master wanted you alive,” I said as I walked into our bedroom. Zane was laying down on the bed reading.
“He does, but he just wants me to join his clan. I’ll refuse and he’ll kill me,” he said simply.
“So, why not fight back?”
“Fight back how? There are hundreds of them and only one of me.”
“But there are thousands of vampires, I’m sure you can gather an army or something.”
“Blake, I’ve made up my mind. As soon as I ‘turn eighteen’ I’m gone.”
“That’s not fair,” I said sitting next to him. “Could you kill your tracker?”
Zane gave me a look, “I’m not a killer. I’m a boy who got bitten but a vampire and is on the run until the end of time.”
I laid down next to him and rested my head on his chest. “I’m just trying to help,” I sighed.
“I know you are, but killing isn’t the answer.”
“In this case it might be. I know you don’t want to, but I don’t want you to go”.
“It’s the only way for us to both be safe. Plus, you could go to school out of state and we can meet up again there”.
“I can’t afford to go to school out of state,” I muttered.
“I’ll think of something,” he said kissing my forehead.
“If you bite me, you’d be my master right?”
“Yeah, but I’m not going to bite you…”
“I know, but if you did. I belonged to you, would I also belong to your master?”
“Yes, that’s how it works”.
“Interesting…”
“What are you thinking?”
“Nothing, I’m just trying to get the chain of command.”
Zane shook his head, “Let it go, please.”
I sat up and sighed, “Fine, I’ll let it go for now. Only because I can’t think of a way to save you. Yet!” and with that I left.
******
The snow day rolled into the next day. We met up with Matt and Liz to go sledding and then the local coffee shop. Matt dropped Zane and I home in the evening then Zane went hunting. I stayed home and got ready for school the next day, assuming the snow would stop.
“Blake!” I heard Zane groan.
I quickly ran to my bedroom window and saw him limping through the snow. I grabbed my jacket and quickly put on my boots and ran outside. I tried to run as fast I could in the snow. “What happened?” I exclaimed.
“Riley,” he groaned.
I was almost to him when a man jumped from the trees in front of me. He looked older, about thirty – but who knows how long he’s been thirty for. He was tall, pale and had bloodstained lips.
He smiled at me and turned his attention back to Zane.
“Leave him alone!” I said running over to him.
“Blake!” Zane said standing up right.
The man turned and faced me, “If you know what’s good for you and him I would turn around and forget what you saw.”
“I’m not afraid of you!” I said standing my ground. Zane sped over to me and stood between me and the man.
“Blake go home,” he said wincing.
“Not without you,” I said firmly.
“He’s not going home,” the man said.
“Riley, leave her alone,” Zane said.
“I’m not going to hurt her, just you,” and with that Riley lunged at Zane. Zane grabbed me and tried to speed off, but because he was injured he was a little too slow and Riley grabbed us both and tackled us to the ground. I rolled away from them, to get out the line of fire. Zane was getting his ass kicked and there was nothing I could do. I grabbed a nearby rock and threw it at Riley. The rock hit his back but broke in two. He turned around and glared at me.
“I’m getting annoyed with you,” he said before kicking Zane a few feet away. Riley sped over to me and picked me up by my neck, chocking me. “I am a little hungry though,” he said right before biting my neck. I screamed in pain and suddenly I was on the ground. I started to hyperventilate and I could feel my heart rate slow down. Then everything went black.