He Tastes Like You, Only Sweeter

Chapter 2

Myth- Vampires need to drink blood everyday in order to survive.

Truth- Well, I don’t know about other vampires, but I only need blood about once a week.

My stomach is rumbling, demanding to be fed and rejecting the pizza I had tried to give it. It’s time for my next dose of blood. I go into the streets right after sunset and start walking around. Every corner you turn, there are strange people. Flamboyant people, conservative people, outrageous people, and just plain weird people. All can be my next meal, but I’m very picky. I try to choose a victim who won’t be missed for a few days and who is least likely to fight back. When humans fight against my vampire strength, they tend to feel more pain than if they were to just submit to my will. I’ve had one too many situations where I was a bad judge of character and chose someone who wasn’t easily subdued. It almost shames me to say that they died a painful death because of that. Almost.

I can’t honestly say that I wish I was a human being again. I don’t remember what I was like, or if I was happy. However, I can say that I wouldn’t wish this existence on anyone, no matter what they think about vampires. You have to watch your every move to make sure that nobody suspects anything. It’s quite annoying if you ask me.

I head over to a vampire club called Fangs Up, run by my friend Gabe. To the humans in this part of the city, they think that this is just a hip Goth club. Little do they know, vampires mingle with the humans here in order to feed. I might not agree with this, but who am I to criticize their methods?

When I enter the club, Gabe immediately waves me over. I walk up to him slowly, in no type of rush, knowing that he’s going to try to get me to drink from one of the humans. Again.

“Hey, my good fuckin’ friend! Feelin’ hungry?” See? Didn’t I say he was going to try to make me drink? And even though the drugged up emo girl he’s offering does look vaguely appetizing, I have to refuse.

“No, I’m fine Gabe.”

“Loosen up, Ry! We’re leaders of the night! Act like it!” I roll my eyes at his primitive thinking. How can he really enjoy this life? Or should I say unlife? You can’t live normally, you can’t have too many friends, and it’s almost impossible to have a relationship. You always have to live with a low profile and be inconspicuous. Sure, us vampires have super speed and strength, but what good is that when no one is supposed to see it? And yes, we don’t age or get pimples or anything like that, but that’s not as appealing as it sounds.

Like I said before, I can’t say I want to be human again, but I wouldn’t mind trying it for a day. It would be an experience I’m sure I wouldn’t forget.

I walk away from Gabe, ignoring his badgering, and walk around the club. My nose turns up in disgust as I see vampires drinking from humans, not so surreptitiously, in various corners. I would feel sorry for the humans, if only they weren’t asking for the attention whether it be knowingly or not.

I’m walking past a particularly explicit dining experience, when someone crashes into me. Even though I could stay upright, it could harm whoever crashed into me, so I let myself fall. The person lands on top of me, and I feel sweet body heat pressing against my cold body.

Silently, I move the person, who I now notice is a boy not much older than I, and pick him up with me. As I’m brushing loose dirt particles off of me, the boy is trying to help out, muttering apologies like his life depended on it.

I stop his hand, holding it with my own, and he looks up to meet my eyes. For a moment, I think I see a small flash of recognition pass across his face, but it passes so quickly, I’m not sure of what I see. He gulps, inaudibly to most, but not to my ears, and whispers another sorry. I mutter a “no problem”, looking into his endless chocolate eyes.

I’m about to ask his name, due to curiosity, not interest, I assure you, when suddenly, he looks around as if he’s searching for something and starts running away.

I look after him with a confused expression on my face and start to think that it’s in my best interests to stop coming to this club.