Status: Complete.

Everybody's Losing Control

Stamina.

As Seth suggested, Mya did try-out for the track team at the beginning of November – and got picked straight away for long distance races, due to her ability to run for over two hours without getting tired. Now it was two weeks into November, and a Friday, and Mya was at track practice after school. Seth couldn’t stay to watch and support tonight because Sam rang for some errands for the gardening business that he, Paul and Jared ran together. But Mya didn’t mind, she was quite happy to walk home afterwards anyway.

So it was nearly the end of practice at 5pm, and she was running. The aim of their session today was to increase their speed as well as push themselves to the limit. Mya was having no problem at all, but some of the other girls weren’t so great.

“Come on Patricia! Push yourself!” Coach Tilley yelled, “Sophia, work harder!”

Mya passed the two girls, who in all honesty looked exhausted. She smiled at them in encouragement, but all she got back was scowls. With a frown, Mya sped off again, determined not to let them get to her.

“Alright, bring it in,” Coach called.

The 15 girls and 10 boys jogged towards the coach, only Mya and a couple of the boys not breathing erratically.

“Great work today, everyone. Especially O’Donnell. Excellent work from you! Maybe you should give some others some tips, eh?” Coach Tilley beamed.

Mya blushed and looked down at the ground, trying to ignore the glares sent her way.

“Same time next Tuesday, alright?” Coach announced.

Everyone nodded, before walking silently into the changing rooms to get changed. Mya dressed quickly, eager to evade the mutterings and stares of some of the girls. About 15 minutes later she headed out of school, and started to walk home. Then her phone started ringing.

Mya: Hello?
Dad: Hey possum, how far are you from home?
M: Only just left school, why?
D: Great, um, could you do me a favour?
M: Sure, what?
D: Could you pop into Forks on your way home and grab me a couple of gallons of milk?
M: Okay…why Forks?
D: Because the milk is cheaper in Forks.
M: haha sure, no problem. I won’t be home for about an hour then.
D: Got it. Love you, possum.
M: Love you too, dad.

Mya smiled, hanging up the phone. Now she mentally thanked Seth for taking her schoolbag home for her, as she only had to carry a small bag, with her clothes, water, money and phone in. With a determined edge, Mya started jogging, trying to make it into Forks before the sun went down.

*

Mya stepped out of the shop, clutching a carrier bag with the cartons of milk in now as well. She started walking down the road, frowning slightly at the dimming sunlight. Then she noticed two girls from track practice in the parking lot next to her with a group of guys, some from the reservation, some she didn’t recognise from Forks. All of whom were glaring. So Mya started walking quicker, her head down.

“Oi, O’Donnell!” one of the boys yelled.

Mya ignored him, walking faster again. She heard footsteps and clenched her teeth, terrified. She hated confrontations like this. Then a hand spun her round, and Mya squeaked, eyes wide in panic. All five boys, as well as the two girls, were standing in front of her, menacing looks on their faces.

“Who do you think you are, showing up Patricia and Sophia like that?” one of the boys sneered.

“I-It’s not my fault,” Mya stuttered.

“Don’t play dumb, you made them look bad,” another boy scoffed.

“I-I…”

“Quit your stuttering,” a boy to her left taunted.

The rest of them laughed, and Mya bit her lip, trying to edge backwards.

“Where do you think you’re going?” the original boy asked, raising an eyebrow.

Then a truck pulled up behind her, blocking Mya’s escape and making her panic like crazy.

“Something wrong here?” a deep voice asked.

Mya turned her head, softly sighing in relief when she saw Emmett walking round the front of the truck, glaring at the group.

“What’s it to you?” a different boy asked cockily.

“If you’ve got a problem with Mya, then you’ll have to go through me first,” Emmett growled, clicking his knuckles.

A few of the group paled, and started muttering rapidly to the leader.

“Watch your back, O’Donnell,” he hissed.

The group walked away quickly, occasionally glancing over their shoulders at Emmett and Mya. Emmett flashed them all his middle fingers, before turning back to Mya, his face softening.

“Are you alright?” he asked gently.

“I am now. What are you doing here?” she asked shakily.

“Just getting some groceries. Jake’s over again, and is eating us out. What were those idiots even harassing you about?” Emmett asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Apparently they didn’t like how I showed up the two girls at track practice. It’s not my fault they don’t have as much stamina,” Mya sighed.

“Well, I don’t think you have to worry about them any more. Do you want a lift home?” Emmett chuckled.

“Isn’t it a bit out of the way for you?” Mya frowned.

“Okay I’ll rephrase. Get in the car, I’m giving you a lift home,” Emmett smirked.

Mya rolled her eyes but smiled, climbing in the car. Emmett smiled too, walking round the other side of the car and getting in, starting the engine. It roared to life, making Mya grin.

“I hope you like fast cars,” Emmett said innocently.

“Bring it on,” Mya laughed.

This made Emmett laugh too, so he sped back out onto the road, putting his foot flat down on the pedal. 30 minutes later, Emmett pulled up outside Mya’s house, cutting the engine.

“Well you weren’t kidding about it being a fast car,” Mya said, impressed.

“You doubted me?” Emmett fake-gasped.

Mya laughed, picking up her bags and hopping out the car. Emmett got out too, walking her to her door.

“Nice house,” he grinned as she rang the doorbell.

“Doesn’t hold a candle to yours,” Mya snorted.

“Whatever, O’Donnell. Look after yourself, alright?” Emmett laughed.

“Will do, Cullen. Thanks for the lift,” Mya said gratefully.

“Any time. Give me a call next time you decide to offend a couple of bimbos, aye?” Emmett grinned.

“Sure thing, Bye Emmett,” Mya giggled.

Emmett hugged her, before walking back to his car. Then Mya’s front door opened, Will appearing.

“Who’s he?” Will asked protectively, sizing the pale burly boy up.

“A friend of mine and Seth’s. Stop being a loser and let me in,” Mya teased.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bit of a filler, but it has important things for the future in!
Next one's a fun one =]

There are 53 of you subscribing - come on, please comment!
xo