21 Guys, 1 Girl

Tripped Up & Picked Up

Right now I'm the only girl in the men's hockey team locker room. But don't worry, I'm supposed to be in here. I didn't come in here to get a sneak peak at the goods or anything. Not that that would be hard though, because these guys aren't exactly self conscious about the way they look. I know this from a personal experience I'd rather not relive. Oh god, once was enough. Not that I didn't like what I saw, but man that was the most awkward moment of my life.
So why am in here then you might ask? Because as of last week I am officially the only female member of the men's team. The next thing I'm sure you'd like to know, why am I not on the women's team? My skating style which constantly endangers the players on the ice around me. I wasn't going to be allowed to play with the girls so I'm playing with the guys. 
Now normally this wouldn't happen, but my coach, Marty told me that I was too talented to miss an entire season. Thank god he felt that way because if I didn't get to play hockey for a whole year, I would probably drop out of school. 
I was thrilled to be playing next year. What wasn't thrilled about; my teammates. I'd met six players and the team, and based on what I'd seen, they all seemed like douches. I don't know about you but I don't like douches, even if they're sexy as fuck, and hockey players on top of that. I'll tell you a little bit about all the players I've met. 

Matthew Carson: Oh Matty C. When I met him, he did absolutely nothing but stare at my chest. Then when I was walking away from him because I realized he was a disgusting perv, he slapped my ass. That's all I have to say about him. 

Kevin Anderson: This guy sleeps around with more girls than I can even count. Luckily I haven't been one of these girls, but quite a few of my friends have.

Andrew Polleter: Drew is one of the most indecent people I've ever seen. He talks like a truck driver. And he gets even worse when he's talking about one of his lays. 

William Verdis: All I have to say is that Will isn't exactly the brighest bulb in the...bulb cabinet?

Samuel Sarmonovich: Sam's just a pitiless, thoughtless asshole. He never thinks of anyone but himself, and he thinks that everyone thinks he's amazing. 

And last but not least, king of the douches: 
Eli Warrenville: Captain of the Bellcroft Badgers. When I met Captain incredible, we were at a party. The only thing he said to me was, "You're in my fucking way." Then he shoved past me to get to the booze. Well it wasn't exactly a proper introduction, but I know him more than I want to already. 

If the rest of the players on the team are anything like the ones I met, I don't think I'm gonna have a great time. 
The only person with me in the locker room right now was Coach Valairy. He asked me to come into practice a little early so he could talk with me. 
"Now, Patlack, I'm sure you're aware that men are very different from women." He said to me. 
"I had my suspicions." I replied. 
"I told the guys already that today was going to be your first practice with us. I got a mixture of reactions. Now half the guys didn't care and the other half were none too thrilled. I really wish I could say they'll be courteous and welcome you to the team, but this isn't a fairytale and most of the guys think you don't belong on this team with us."
"Yeah, well I wasn't exactly expecting hugs and kisses and a welcome party." I said.
"Well good, 'cause I can almost guanrantee you that's the opposite of what's going to go down." Coach Valairy said. 
We both turned our heads toward the door as it started to open bringing my new teammates into the room. 
The first one through the door was none other than Captain Amazing. When he came in his eyes landed first on Valairy, then quickly moved on to me. Almost as quickly as he had looked at me, he looked away and went to get dressed for practice. As all the guys filed in, I got several different gretings. Most guys did the same as their captain following his example, a few guys gave me a small nod aknowledging my prescence but I couldn't tell how they felt about me being there, and one player who I'd never met before gave me a small smile.
I can't say I really expected much more of a greetig than they gave me. The smile really caught me off guard. I decided that he was my favorite player. I glanced at him getting ready and saw he was pulling goalie pads out of his bag, so that meant that he was either Nash Marshall or the backup goaltender Paul Tucker.  
I suddenly realized that any second these guys would be taking their clothes off, and as much as I'd like to stick around and watch, I decided I should probably go out to the ice. Thank you coach for suggesting I get dressed before the guys got there. I grabbed my helmet, gloves and stick out of my bag and left the locker room. 
When all the guys were out on the ice, Valairy had us start doing some drills. When Sarmonovich tripped me the first time, I'll admit I was naive and I thought it was an accident. I just got up and kept skating. But next it was a defenseman I'd never talked to, and after that it was a star left wing. Then three more forwards knocked me off my feet followed by two more defensemen and the goalie who hadn't smiled at me. After that one I, I decided I should stop fucking around. I had foolishly let my guard down around these guys, but that wasn't going to happen again. 
About three minutes later, Sarmonovich stuck his stick out in front of me in an attempt to trip me again, but I was ready for it and I hopped over it easily and kept skating. Eight more attempted hits and one attempted open ice hit, all casually eluded, later, practice ended and we all headed down to the locker room. I went in and quickly grabbed my bag and made my way to the girls bathroom out in the hall to change. When I had finished changing I put my clothes in my bag and realized I'd left my stick in the locker room. When I walked back to the locker room door I heard Valairy yelling. 
"I was not amused by what you guys were pulling out there," he shouted. "Anna's probably the best player we've got on this team right now, and you all need to show her a little respect!"
"We know she's a great player so we were just trying to lower her ego. Everybody saw her stats from last season, we know how good she did. We just don't want her big head to effect her skating." 
"The only one with a big head here is you, Warrenville! I don't want to scratch you for the first game of the season, but if that's what needs to happen, it will." Coach said, and by the tone of his voice it was clear that no one was going to talk back to him.
I waited a minute to see if he was going to say anything else, and when he didn't, I figured it was now or never so i opened he door and walked in. 
To say the room was tense was an understatement. No one was speaking and coach was flipping throughh his clipboard violently with an infuriate look on his face. 
When the door closed with a thump, everyone glared at me with the exception of Nash Marshall, who I found out was the goalie who'd smiled at me, and Coach V. Needless to say I was a little uncomfortable. 
I walked quickly over to where my stick was lying on the ground and picked it up. I was clenching it tightly and I left the room trying as hard as I could to not make I contact with anyone. When I got to the parking lot I unlocked my car and opened the back door throwing my bag in roughly. I slammed the door shut and walked quickly around to the driver's side. I sat down and took a dew deep breaths, then I pressed my head against the steering wheel. 
"what the fuck did I get myself into?" I mumbled. "I should've just cleaned up my act and begged to stay on the women's team. How am I supposed to play with a group of men who hate me?" I was still sitting with my head down when I heard someone knocking on my window. My head shot upand my heart instantly started beating so fast I thouht I was having a heart attack. Standing outside mubcar was Nash. He was wearing jeans and a Bellcroft Badgers sweatshirt and his short dark hair was damp from practice. I put my key in the ignition and rolled down my window. 
"Umm...hi." I said quietly.
"Hey, are you alright?"
As he asked me if I was alright I realized two things;
1. I must look like a fucking loser right now 
And 2. This was the first time I had heard his voice, and damn was it sexy. His voice was deep and smooth and the kind of voice you wish you could listen to all day. The kind of voice you want to have whisper things in your ear. It was really soothing hearing him talk to me, and he sounded so sincere I almost started tearing up. It was amazing after after having a day full of dicks, to see a person who cares about your feelings. 
"Yeah I'm good." I replied. "I always do this. It helps me connect with my car." I glanced over at Nash to see him smiling at me. He let out a chuckle, then got a more serious expression. "Look, I wanted to come apologize to you for how everybody acted today. God knows nobody else is gonna say anything to you, and you deserve better then that. I just wanted to say I'm sorry everyone was a shitface to you at practice." 
I looked at him and smiled, "Thank you. It's nice to know there's one guy on the team who's not a D-bag." 
"No problem." he said. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"Yeah I'll see ya." I said. He walked away and I rolled my window up and as I drove back to my apartment to get ready for my class today, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
A million and one thank you's to MyrMyr for commenting!!! I was so excited when I read it that I let out a little scream and my friend looked at me like I was an idiot. Once again please comment to let me know what you think! =D