Status: Finished; working on the sequel

In The Dark

Chapter Sixteen

Robert, Nick, the Asian woman, and about ten other people, are seated at the table talking when Jaiden and I walk in.

“Kyra, what are you doing here?” Robert looks confused. He has a doughnut in his hand, and there’s a box of them in the middle of the table.

I take a seat, uninvited, next to Nick. He smiles at me, and his eyes go to my crystals. His smile widens to a grin and his eyes show amusement. Robert notices too, and bounces his eyebrows teasingly.

“Who were you just with Kyra,” he asks.

“Why? Why do you guys look so knowing?”

Nick taps my middle crystal softly. “Your crystal is glowing bright purple.”

I think back, then remember Robert telling me that I’d find out what purple meant when it was time.

“What does it mean?”

Robert smiles. “Purple means in love.”

I stare at him, my eyes going wide.

“Oh no! Absolutely not! I am not in love. I mean… with who?”

Nick shrugs. “Only you know that. I hope it’s not me though. I’m a little too old for you. If you were with your friends, then it could only be Treyvon, Leon, or Ryan…”

Desperate for a change of subject, I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

“Listen! Those other scientists? They’re the reason I had that gash in my arm and that cast! I’ve seen them three times now, and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. They want me for something. Something bad. Neither of those time I ran into them was a mistake, I know it. Either there’s some tracker on me, or there’s an insider! They paid somebody to keep an eye on me and report back to them.”

Everyone in the room is soundless, looking more fierce and alert than I’ve ever seen them in our past few encounters.

“I think that everyone is in grave danger. I know we just got here, but I really think we need to get out of here. NOW.”

The silence continues so long that I start to get a little bit panicked. Then Nick leaps to his feet, growling something under his breath.

Robert pulls out a very small syringe filled with greenish-blue liquid and motions for me to hold out my arm. I do, without hesitating, and he injects me with it.

“That was a type of GPS tracking fluid. It’ll tell us your exact location if you get taken, even if you’re unconscious… or dead.”

My eyes widen with fear. Dead? Oh boy…

Nick runs back in with an armful of square packets and a duffel bag. He stuffs them into the bag, and shoulders it, then turns to me. However, just as he’s about to tell me something, everything takes a turn for the worst.

The lights go from pale yellow, to blood red, and a siren-like wail comes from the walls. Shortly after that, there’s a colossal explosion that shakes everything, including us.

Nick closes his eyes. “They found us… They finally found us.”

Back in action once again, he yanks off the duffel bag and gives it to Jaiden, who shoulders it obediently. Nick barks orders at him.

“Jaiden, take Kyra out through the emergency exit ASAP. I don’t care if you have to carry her there. When you’re out, go find somewhere to hide for the night, and half of tomorrow, and then go to the emergency shelter. Make sure that nobody sees you.” He comes over to me, and puts his hands on my shoulders.

“Kyra listen to me. Jaiden is programmed for this, so everything he does or says; you go with it. He’s in charge now, not you, no questions asked. These people are ruthless Kyra. They cannot be trusted, no matter what. If anything happens, use your powers. I don’t care if you don’t know what you’re doing, just use them. Don’t even think. Do you hear me?”

“Nick…” I’m close to tears now, but I nod. Nick gives me a quick hug, and then pushes me into Jaiden’s arms.

“Go Jaiden, take her! Don’t waste any time!”

Jaiden lifts me up, and starts to run faster than any human ever could. I squeeze my eyes shut, thinking about Lana, Aunt Jayla, and the others. Everyone here. What if I never see them again?

Jaiden leaps over something, and the impact of our landing brings me back to now. I put my head on his chest and hold on tight, breathing in his slight metallic smell, and forget about everything else.
I’m being hunted, whether I want to believe it or not, and I’ve got to escape.

And I will… I’m sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't really like this ending... but oh well.

I will make a sequel; very soon in fact. And it should be better than this, since I write much better stories now.