Status: Uninspired.... I doubt I'll finish. Go read Seven Sins, instead. ;]

Butterflies Instead

Harley and Bree had always hated each other, ever since kindergarten. Harley with her short black hair, fair skin, and celery green eyes wasn't as typical of California girl as blonde, tan, brown eyed Bree, and Bree was sure to let her know it on her first day.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, clutching her box of crayons when the new girl sat quietly in the seat next to her. Harley just looked up at her with a question in her huge green eyes. They spoke louder than any voice could have, asking what this girl's problem was. “This is MY classroom, and you weren't here when we started last week. You have to leave.” Harley just turned around in her seat to face the white board and wait for the teacher to come back.

“Just leave me alone,” she said softly when Bree started to open her mouth to speak again. “You aren't worth my time.”

Those few simple words started what seemed would be a lifelong battle between the two. Bree would dump the shavings from the pencil sharpener into Harley's backpack when she wasn't looking, and Harley would retaliate by shoving Bree into the first rain puddle of the year. Bree would tell everybody who would listen that Harley moved there because she got kicked out of her old school for getting in a fight and sending a kid to the hospital, and Harley would empty a bottle of glue into Bree's golden locks.

In high school, Bree ended up on the Volleyball team, went to the beach and movies with countless friends every night, and made every boy she dated the most popular boy in school. Harley, on the other hand, spent her days at home, following punk bands on the internet and making her own clothing for the parties she attended at night. Harley drank, smoked, got in fights, and wasn't afraid of anybody's judgment. She enjoyed her life as her own person, and avoided Bree at all costs, finding her nothing more than an pretty shell, hollowed out and filled back up with everybody else's expectations.

One night, however, Bree and Harley ended up at the same party somehow. It didn't come as a surprise to Harley that Bree partied, not at all. After all, Bree and peer pressure went together like caramel and apples. However, she had expected that the blonde would end up at one of her more wealthy friends houses, withgrinding dancing, hip hop music... the usual high school parties. This was a place littered with empty beer bottles in the bad side of town. The music ringing through Harley's ears was that of The Toadies, fist fights were expected and encouraged, and people rarely left alone, whether they were looking for sex or drugs.

Bree didn't belong there. And when Harley tried to confront her, everything about both girls changed.

Title credit goes to K's Choice, and her song of the same name. <3