Sequel: Unsaid Things
Status: Completed

Don't Give up on Me

On My Own

Walking through the familiar halls of my high school with my bag slung over my shoulder, I crossed my arms as everyone’s attention was pulled to me. I was used to this, the staring, but this time it felt different. They weren’t staring and glaring, they were gawking at me, like I had something on my face. I looked down at my feet as I walked, making a fast break for my locker.

I pulled it open and stuffed a few books inside, glancing at my mirror to see if their really was anything on my face. Nothing. Just as I was about to close my locker, it was closed for me. Rolling my eyes, I tightened my bag over my shoulder as I came face to face with my ex-boyfriend, Damien. He was slouched against the lockers, his bag over his shoulder. He glanced up at me, his hand still placed beside me on my enclosed locker.

“Hey Nicole.” He muttered, smirking slightly, sticking his hands in his pockets. I rolled my eyes, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

“Damien.” I muttered, shrugging past him and making my way down the hall. My beat up converse graced the floor as I swiftly left Damien’s side, hoping to get as far away from him as possible. No such luck as I heard his shoes squeak behind me, making an effort to catch up. He grabbed my arm, forcing me to face him before he crashed his lips against mine. I squeezed my eyes shut and pushed him back, our lips parting. I wiped my hand across my lips to rid his spit and groaned.

“What the hell was that? I broke up with you, Damien; two weeks ago! Just leave me alone!” I exclaimed, pushing past him and walking off again. Students were watching on now, as I buried my face into my chest and practically ran away from him. But he caught up again. I groaned as he grabbed my arm. “What, Damien? What do you want?”

“Is it true?” he whispered, turning me to face him. I furrowed my eyebrows. What was he on about? I realized though, as he took a glance to my flat, smooth stomach.

“Back off.” I said, looking away. He looked away too, looking around as if everyone was staring at him. Which everyone was now, just watching us.

“You are, aren’t you? Nicole, are you? Answer me.” He ordered, turning his face back to me. I sighed in annoyance before turning away from him. I started walking away from him down the halls, running my hand through my hair, but he grabbed my arm roughly, spinning me around.

“Fucking answer me!” He shouted, and my hand flew up immediately, slapping across his face. He dropped my arm in shock and looked at me, surprised I would do something like this. I never acted this way before.

By now there was a crowd around us, 10 or so students watching on in amazement at what I had just done; at what has been happening between us for the past 5 minutes. As if someone had taken over my body, I stepped forward and pushed my ex, causing him to stumble back. I would never have gotten enough courage to do that weeks ago.

“Fuck off, Damien.” I muttered, turning around and leaving him in the middle of our classmates. I didn’t really care; I just had to get away. I left the school grounds with my bag hung over my shoulder, skipping school completely before the bell even rang. I took the long route home, taking my time as I just needed to think.

While on my silent walk, I heard the school bell ring behind me and I sighed. They must have all known; everyone in my school; about the baby. That’s why they were giving me odd looks. I ran my hand through my hair again and sighed, a single tear running down my cheek.

I let the thought leave my mind for the rest of the walk home, instead sticking an iPod earplug in each ear. I turned on my blue iPod nano and let the melodies of Blink-182 fill my ears. Wiping a stray tear from my left cheek, I pulled the hood on my hoodie up over my head as it started to drizzle. With an annoyed sigh, I stuck my hands in my pocket and walked the rest of my way home, my tears mixing with the raindrops.