Sequel: Unsaid Things
Status: Completed

Don't Give up on Me

Chapter One

“Lilly, baby, come to mamma!” I encouraged, holding out at my arms as I crouched to the floor. She flung her arms up and giggled with some spit, before she pulled herself to her feet and attempted to walk. She made a few steps before she just stood there, staring at me. She held her hands out, creating a fist before retracting her fingers, and then creating a fist again. She wanted to be held. “Keep going!” I tried, and she let out a loud giggle before she flung forward again, smoothly walking toward me. She nearly fell twice but she got to me none the less, flinging herself into my arms. “Good girl!” I grinned, hugging her close to me. I picked her up, placing her in her carriage and she giggled.

“Mamma!” she giggled, throwing her hands up as I held up her stuffed animal. “Mammaaa!” she dragged the word out, making a pouty face as she struggled to reach the toy. I handed it to her and she let out a loud laugh, cuddling it close to her as she grinned.

“You little weasel!” I teased, causing her to giggle again. ‘Mamma’ was the only word she knew, so far, and it made me smile every time I heard it. Finally, at 14 months old, she was communicating with me. “Ready to go to Aunty Rachel’s?” I asked, grabbing our duffel bags and tossing them over my shoulder, placing my hand on her cheek. The last time I had seen Rachel was the day I gave birth to little Lilly. She didn’t stay for long, considering she had to get home and get back to work. We’ve talked on the phone a lot, but never once had she visited. Finally, I decided to take matters into my own hands and visit her...