Sequel: Unsaid Things
Status: Completed

Don't Give up on Me

Rejection

I woke to a start the next morning, waking from a nasty dream. Sweat dripped down my cheeks and forehead as I breathed in heavily, looking around my surroundings. After realizing where I was, I realized that the nightmare I had was very much reality. I shot my hand up to my forehead and blinked, the blanket dropping down to my waist as I sat up. Closing my eyes swiftly, I slipped out of the large bed and checked my reflection in the mirror. I looked a state.

After running a brush through my messy curls, I pulled them back into a loose pony tail and fixed my t-shirt, grabbing a sweatshirt to pull over my cold body. I checked the clock on my phone and noticed it was about 10 in the morning. Praying that Rachel was awake, I crept out of the spare room of the small home, glancing into Rachel’s room to see if she was in there. After seeing no sight of her, I made my way down the stairs and into the living room. I prayed that I wouldn’t run into Rachel’s cousin Danny, knowing full well that that would just be an awkward situation. Even though I remembered meeting him quite a few times before, I still didn’t know him well enough to have a full out conversation with him.

I walked right through the living room, not taking the chance to glance at the couch, and walked through a door I was hoping would be to the kitchen. Thankfully, I stepped into the large kitchen, and sighed inwardly to myself at the sight of Rachel at the table, biting down on some toast and looking through a teen magazine. She was wearing a pair of duck silk pajama pants and a plain white shirt, pink slippers on her feet. She was a year and a few months older than me; putting her at 18; and she still acted like a teenager. Her hair was a mess and she was humming a tune I was unfamiliar with.

“Morning, sleepy head!” Rachel exclaimed, turning to face me as I took a seat beside her. I smiled, stealing a piece of her toast and biting into it.

“Morning, Chel.” I sipped her milk and Rachel continued what she was doing, looking to have been taking a little survey in the teen magazine. I furrowed my eyebrow as I saw her cousin and three guys on the top of the page she was looking at, the four smiling with their arms around each other’s shoulders in black and grey suits. Below the picture was a multiple list of questions, leading to an answer of which of the four you suit best.

“Ha! Look at that. Dan and I would be a perfect couple!” Rachel laughed, tossing the magazine down. “Hear that, Dan? Apparently you are the right guy for me!” Rachel shouted, stiffening a laugh as her cousin burst out laughing too from the couch in the living room. Rachel chuckled before turning to me. “Have a good sleep?” she asked, and I nodded swiftly, biting the last of the toast on her plate.

“It was alright,” I lied. Rachel nodded, and I watched on as Danny stood up from the couch and stretched, tossing the thin blanket on the chair beside him. He ran his hand through his curls and sat on the couch, slipping his etnies on. After that, he flattened his white shirt and walked into the kitchen, grabbing the milk carton from the fridge and taking a large gulp from it.

“Glass Danny.” Rachel said, and Danny just waved her off.

“Yeah yeah yeah.” He put the milk back and yawned, leaning over and pecking Rachel on the cheek. “I’m off. Doug texted me. He says Kayla’s finally gone with all of her sh*t. I need to make sure she left my pup.” He said with a slight laugh. He turned to me and nodded. “Nice, uh, seeing you again. Bye Rach.” He said, before leaving the room. He grabbed his leather jacket from the top of the couch and left Rachel’s house. I looked to Rachel, confused.

“You’ve met my cousin Danny before, yeah?” she asked, and I shrugged. I’ve met him a few times before, when he first got together with his band 3 years ago… Then it hit me, as if a ton of bricks. He was in a band, and that’s why he was in the magazine Rachel was reading. I nearly hit my self with stupidity.

“Only a few times, I believe. Why was he here?” I asked, and Rachel smiled, putting her dish in the sink and pulling me into the living room. She took a seat on the couch and I sat beside her.

“Well, he was dating this girl named Kayla. And she seemed like a very nice girl. Polite, kind, funny, pretty. But then, last week, she freaked out at Danny for no reason at all and kicked him out of his house. That’s why he was staying here. But I guess she’s gone now and he gets his place back?” she said, and I nodded slowly, trying to understand her strong accent. After all, it’s been a while since I’ve talked to her. “Well anyways, he lives down the road in an apartment building; three floors. He has the top and Dougie, his band mate and my boyfriend of 2 months, lives on the bottom. In between them is their studio. His other two band mates live in houses on either side of the apartment.”

“Oh.” I said. She nodded, finishing her ramble. I was used to this, though; she always went into long detail. She’ll just be telling you about a book she had read over the weekend, and it’d be a novel itself. I smiled slightly, but my smile dropped as there was a turning in my stomach. I felt sick, almost. Nauseous, even.

“Are you okay?” Rachel asked, and I nodded slowly, holding my stomach. “Niccy?” she asked, sitting forward and glancing at me. I shook my head, forcing a smile.

“I’m alright, really. I probably just ate something weird yesterday or something. No big deal.” I said, waving it off. I sat back and instantly felt better. I finally looked to Rachel and she was nodding, her eyes glazed over. “What?” I asked, and Rachel fiddled with her fingers.

“What happened with your parents, Niccy?” she asked, and I looked down. “I mean, it’s perfectly fine you’re here…but, I need to know.” Rachel said, laughing softly before going all serious again. “What’d you get into a fight about?”

“Uh…” I murmured, looking away as I thought back to yesterday…

*flashback*

“Mum…I’m pregnant.” I whispered. All of the color drained from my mum’s face and she shook her head, pulling a fake smile. I didn’t know what she was thinking about, as I looked to the ground below my feet. All of the color drained from my face too, as I waited for her response. I was waiting for her to yell, scream bloody murder, anything. But I wasn’t expecting her to laugh…

“You’re pulling my leg.” She murmured, and I shook my head. Her eyes went wide at my serious expression as I looked up. I was completely serious. Mum stuttered, not really knowing what to stay. “You…but-t-t…and he…and now you’re…” She looked at me in disgust after a few minutes, moving away from me. “NORMAN!” she called for my dad, her voice quivering. She stood from the couch, looking down at me. I felt a tear come to my eye as I felt rejection flood threw me. My own mother.

“Mum, please-”

“You’re 16 years old! You haven’t even graduated yet! Did you even think about your future?! What’s wrong with you!?” she exclaimed, stopping me from speaking. I looked down.

“I don’t know.” I whispered, another tear slipping from my right eye. My mum paced in front of me, holding her face in her hands. She turned to me.

“Nicole Danvers, what were you thinking? When did this happen? With who? Damien?” she asked, and I nodded slowly. “I’m so disappointed in you, Nicole. So disappointed. I can’t even look at you. NORMAN! GET IN HERE!” I flinched as her screechy voice echoes through the house. “NORM-” she was cut off as my dad bolt into the room, looking every which way as if there was a fire.

“What’s going on? Why are you crying?” my dad asked, looking right at me. He looked up at my mum. “Connie…?”

“Go ahead, Nicole. Tell you’re father.” She said, disappointment showing in her eyes. She turned away from me, holding her hand up as she left the room. I sniffled and held my stomach protectively. My dad looked at me oddly.

“Nicole?” I ran from the room, upstairs and to my bedroom, slamming my door shut. I fell on my bed as I sobbed, staying there for I don’t know how long before I packed my bags. I tossed all of my clothes into two large suitcases, grabbing my cell phone and the left over money I had hidden in my underwear drawer. I sniffled as I pulled my damp hair in a pony tail, pulling my two bags down the stairs and setting them at the bottom. I grabbed my hoodie I had discarded earlier and pulled it on, my sniffles louder and louder.

“Good.” I heard a voice sneer. I turned around to face my mum, her arms crossed over her chest. She had tears in her eyes. “Leave. We don’t want your skanky a*s here. Good luck out there. The world’s a cruel place; you won’t last a week out there without me or your father. You’ll come crawling back to us with that baby in your arms. You just wait.” I heard her shout after me as I pulled my bags into the downpour. The sun was going down and it was at least 10 at night now. I turned back to my mum, watching her expression go from anger to furious as she shook her head, slamming the door in my face.

I had no where to go…

*end flashback*


“Niccy? You okay? You dozed off for a minute…” I rid my head of the horrid memory and bit my lip. Looking at Rachel, I watched as she looked at me in concern. “What did you and your parents get in a fight about?” she asked again. I looked down, thinking fast. She can’t know. Not yet.

“Nothing; it was pointless. Just another pointless fight.”