Sequel: Unsaid Things
Status: Completed

Don't Give up on Me

20 Questions

“What movie do you want to watch now?” It was the second night Danny was going to be staying with us. We were sprawled out on the couch, ready to put in another film. Rachel had gone to bed early, and so it was just Danny and I. “We already watched Jeepers Creepers and Wall-E, it’s your turn to choose.” I said, and Danny looked through the movies in deep thought, trying to pick which one he’s be comfortable with watching. It was almost midnight, and neither of us was tired at all.

“Uhm, I can’t find one.” Danny muttered, before jumping back on the couch beside me. “Why don’t we just hang out until we get tired, yeah?” he suggested, and I nodded, considering it.

“Okay. What do you want to talk about?” I asked. I turned on the couch completely so I could face him, crossing my legs Indian style so I was more comfortable. Danny copied me and he just sat there, thinking. “Why don’t we play 20 questions?” I suggested.

“Okay, I’ll go first.” Danny said and I nodded, waiting for his question. “What’s your favorite…color?”

“Red,” I answered quickly, smiling as if I had won something. Danny chuckled and said his favorite color was red too. It was my turn now. “Hmm, how old are you?” I hadn’t actually asked him, yet, how old he was exactly. I knew he was older than Rachel, but she’s just 18 years old. He looked much older than that.

“23,” he replied and I raised my eyebrows.

“Wow, old man.” I laughed, causing Danny to scowl in my direction. I just grinned, finding the whole situation amusing. I didn’t know he was actually 6 years older than me. The thought scared me. I mean, I’m 17; a little teenager. And he’s 23, a grown adult. I didn’t mind though; I mean…age is just a number, right? “Your turn,“ I said, smiling innocently.

“When’d you get that pierced?” He asked, pointing up to my eyebrow on the right side of my face. I reached up and felt the medal bar pierced through my skin. To be completely honest, I forgot it was even there.

“Uhm, when I turned 15. I pierced it myself because my parents wouldn’t bring me to get it done.” I told him, and he nodded slowly. “It didn’t hurt at all. It just felt like a pinch, really. Not too bad.” Danny nodded again, smiling as he ran his finger over the skin around it. I closed my eyes as I hummed softly, the feeling of his finger giving me the goose bumps. His fingers slowly ran down my cheek and over my chin, giving me the shivers. He pulled his hand away as our eye met and just as he was about to say something, I let out a cry as I felt a feeling in my stomach.

“You alright?” he asked, and I nodded, rubbing my stomach softly as I felt a weird sensation. I nodded, trying to forget about the pain.

“Sorry, I just…I don’t know. Anyways, my turn, right?” I asked, and he nodded. I tried to come up with a question, my eyes catching the ink on his right calf. “When’d you get that done?” I asked, pointing to his tattoo on his leg. Danny looked down too, running his hand over the ink with a smile.

“Two years ago, or so. I’ve been adding to it recently.” He informed me and I nodded with a smile. “My turn? Hmm, I don’t mean to sound rude…but why did you come to stay with Rachel?” Danny asked, and I grimaced. I knew he would ask that eventually. I tried to rack my brain for a good enough lie, but I just couldn’t. So I actually decided to tell him the truth. Not the whole truth, but a fair amount.

“Me and my parents got into an argument…about stuff.” I said quite viably. It was my turn now, thank God. “When did you start playing the guitar?” I decided it was best to change the subject, but I knew it would divert quickly back.

“When I was 6. What did you and your parents get into an argument about?” Danny asked, and I sighed, looking down as I played with the loose string at the bottom of my shirt. I didn’t know if I should have told him or not. I knew that the bump on my stomach was slowly starting to get visible, since I’m nearly 2 months into my pregnancy. I looked down at it, the site of it causing my eyes to water.

“I can’t tell you.” I whispered. Danny placed his forefinger underneath my chin and directed my eyes to his. “I’m sorry, I just…I can’t tell anybody.” I muttered.

“Niccy, you can tell me anything. You know that.” Danny said and I watched his lips move, the fluffy skin gracefully flowing across his teeth in to a smile. I took a deep breath, as if I was going to say something, but I didn’t. I just shook my head. He can’t know. “Niccy, it’s not a big deal. I bet it’s just something stupid and silly. Come on, tell me.” Danny encouraged, and I shook my head.

“Danny, you don’t understand. What I got into a fight about…with them…it’s really bad. I can’t tell anybody. They kicked me out of the house because of it, and I’m afraid that…that if I tell anybody else, it’ll happen again.” I whispered, tears threatening to fall. Danny placed his finger under my chin, directing my eyes up to his again.

“Just tell me. I won’t run; I won’t kick you out of this house or anything. I just want to know why you were treated so coldly. I want to help.” Danny said, and I just shook my head, standing up quickly from the couch and walking toward the bathroom.

I took a seat on the tiled floor, the only room in the entire house that was cold. I felt like I was overheating. I leaned against the bathtub, looking down at my stomach as if it was just placed there. I knew I needed to tell somebody; soon. I needed somebody to help me get through this. I just needed somebody to understand and help me when I need help. I needed a friend.

Danny appeared in the bathroom a second later, sitting beside me on the tiled floor. “I’m sorry, Niccy. I just…I need to know. You don’t have to tell me. It’s not my business-”

“It started two months ago…”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments = chapter ten(: