Walking on Thread

4.

I looked around, wondering what I was doing. I glanced left, then right, as I looked around the store. Suddenly, it hit me. No one was watching. No one was going to see me slide the pepperoni slices in to my pocket. I looked behind me as I grabbed it, then walked outside and smiled, feeling pretty good about myself. This time, I wasn't caught. This time, I didn't have to worry about running. All I had to worry about was where I would eat my first meal of the day; in the park, or in the coffee shop across from me. I smiled as I walked towards the park since it was a cool day outside. It was warmer, and it suited me just fine.

After days of sleeping in the cold 20 degree outside weather of Arizona, I was really looking forward to the 40 degree weather of the afternoon. Most people would've been wearing jackets, or coats, since it's usually 60 degrees, but it's something you get used to once you see your family die before your eyes, and the bank kicks you out of your house when you're only 5 years old.

I quickly raised a hand and scratched my head as I looked at the people walking around and giving me weird looks. I smelt fine since I took a bath yesterday. It's not something I was used to, but I finally found a motel that I could break in and get cleaned. I smiled kindly at the people and opened my package to start eating it. I moaned slightly, loving the taste of it, since it was 5 years since I last had pepperoni. I glanced at a little girl crying and stopped, reminding her of me. I slowly walked over to her and smiled.

"What's wrong?" I asked the girl gently. Something about seeing my family dying and my best friend risking his life just to save mine turned me into a softer, more gentler girl. Of course, I was the same girl with A.D.D, but it just hit me hard. I may not have the worst life, after all, I'm still alive. I've lived on the streets for 10 years and I'm still alive. That's something to be proud of.

The girl slowly looked up. She sniffed and said, "My mommy left with daddy in their car yesterday, but I haven't seen them since."
I tilted my head and smiled. "You may never see them again. Hey, you want some food? You may need it." I said, and then stopped myself.

Being me, I had to face life at a very young age, and that changed me a little. That made me be direct, a little curious, and very greedy. She looked down and started sobbing again. "Here, stick with me and we'll be best pals, yeah?" I asked and smiled at her. It wouldn't be that bad to have a friend with me. But that means that I'll be like a mother, and living on the streets has made me into that. With kids living on the streets everywhere you go, you learn to help each other.

"M-my name is Yuki," she said after she ate a piece of pepperoni.

I smiled at the little Asian girl. "My name is Izzy Marks." It wasn't my real name. Marks was my best friend's last name. He was 8 when he died, and I planned to keep his name alive. I don't exactly remember my last name. I never learned it, but I knew Issac's.

I looked to my left as I saw something. "Hey, Yuki, follow me," I said, wanting to check it out. Schizophrenia was another thing that I developed growing up. You never know if ghosts are real, but wouldn't you love to meet one? I would love to meet Issac, to see his face again. He did save my life after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's a little short, and for never updating, but here it is. Sorry if it's not good, but at least I got it up.