Not Even Human

1/1

It was quiet in the house. Rachel’s dads were off at a business meeting in Columbus and had left her alone for the weekend, after several convincing arguments that she didn’t need a babysitter anymore. Rachel sat in the living room, watching Funny Girl for the thousandth time, when she sighed, turning it off. She wasn’t in the mood for Barbra. Not right now.

She rose from the couch and moved over to the grand piano, sitting down on the bench and letting her fingers move restlessly over the keys. Something had been bothering her since Regionals. She was pleased that they had another year to make it to Nationals, and she was happier than ever that she and Finn were finally together. But none of that removed the gnawing feeling in the back of her mind of the one thing that was still bothering her.

Jesse St. James.

There weren’t any lingering feelings for him, nothing romantic that kept him remaining in the back of her mind. It was just the way he was so confident at Regionals, not even sparing her a second glance. He had told her he loved her. Whether or not that was true, Rachel still couldn’t dismiss the fact that he ignored her. He had acted as if she should have come up to him, begging to take him back.

She sighed, stopping her playing momentarily. Enough was enough. She was tired of thinking about him, done with letting him occupy her mind. Without further hesitation, Rachel began playing one of her favorite songs, letting her fingers dance across the piano as she started to sing quietly.

I have been taken before
You're not the first to rob me of my peace and my sanity
You've taken all my peace and my sanity
You must have been kidding with that romantic love spell,
or maybe I just didn't hear you right
You run over my heart, and then ask for it back
You must think that that's alright
Well it’s not alright,


She sang quietly, letting her voice barely rise above the piano notes. Her fingers flew across the keys, relieving her of her tension. She sang with feeling, as if Jesse were sitting across from her and she was letting him have a piece of her mind.

But you're not even human
You're just the lovely idea of one who I accidentally loved
and gave everything to
become the girl on the piano bench,
singing all of her tears away,


While it was true that she was done crying over Jesse, she felt like the song had been written specifically for her. She continued singing softly, not letting her voice rise too loud. Rachel thought of how cold Jesse had been when he crushed the egg, how heartless he had seemed at Regionals.

So did you feel sorry for me
or was I some charity case that you thought you could save?
Well I was better off, not even knowing your name
I was so much better off


Rachel felt herself start to get into the song, feeling the anger written behind it. She sang a bit louder, letting her voice rise over the piano notes and float through the room. She remembered how she felt when he had left her, when she knew that she would be truly better off without knowing him.

Because you're not even human
You're just the lovely idea of one who I accidentally loved
and gave everything to
become the girl on the piano bench,
singing all of her tears away


She finished the song, letting her voice linger in the room as she played the last few notes of the song. She smiled, satisfied and content.

Jesse St. James, you shall bother me no more. Rachel thought, standing up and moving away from the piano, picking up her cell phone and pressing speed dial 3.

“Finn? It’s Rachel. I was wondering if you’d like to do something tonight. My dads are out of town and I have no plans.”

After their conversation, Rachel walked upstairs into her room to get dressed, smiling happily, all thoughts of St. James permanently gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
based after the song not even human by angel taylor.