‹ Prequel: Lead and Gold

Vernacular

Acclimation

I suppose it would be in my best interest to recount the events of my first official night within The Coven, although it is a painful event to recall.

Taking my leave from the charming company of Master Oliver--I still could not fathom why he bore such venomous feelings towards me--I made my way into the inner sanctum of the Coven and found a room with no effort. Silently pushing open the door, fearing an unwanted disturbance to the other inhabitants, for surely there were many, I surveyed the room.

It was a quaint quarter, displaying no outstanding decor or trinkets. It was simply a room, with a bed--most likely more for contemplative periods--and an old wood wardrobe. On the right side of the room peeked a dusty window, looking out towards the grounds below. The room was modest.

I have never seen a home as beautiful.

I had been away from home for such a long time.

I moved to the window, finding a deep comfort from looking out into the wilds I had come to know so intimately, knowing I was viewing it from somewhere more foreign than the wilds I had traveled along--Safety.

I was finally safe.

I was stirred from thoughts as I felt a presence just outside of my door. Figuring I did not have the seniority to deny any member of this household entrance to my room, I allowed the disturbance.

I hope you find a haven in this place.

I was slightly taken aback by sensation of hearing Maharet's voice within my head, though not a stranger to the practice of such telepathy. Most of my kin that I had met in the wilds had lost the civility of such a technique, and it was a welcome feeling.

Haven. This was a haven. My haven.

She glided in silently, just within the doorway, and I could feel a smile tugging at my lips. This was company.

We talked, using her desired method. We talked of nothing in particular, though a conversation was everything to me. She did her best to make me feel welcome, and I wanted to fully accept the feelings of being wanted, but a part of me, my deeply-set Rogue, rejected such complacency. I was a wanderer, a ghost; walls could not confine me, and I would not be wanted here for long

They will turn you away, just like the rest

I started at this comment, wondering if Maharet had said this to me, and felt a deeper sorrow when I realized it was not this Mistress before me, but my thoughts, already attempting to drive me away from the safety I had craved for so long.

I eternally had my mind driving me down, the stake driving through me and into the heart of this mortal world.

The comfort of her voice soon wore off upon me, though I tried not to let it show, slyly commenting on the beauty of herself and her sister somewhere in our talk. These words were not false or halfhearted in the least. I sincerely felt that it was a rare sight to see beauty among our kind.

Sadly, though our nights do not end, the pleasantries within them may.

Maharet took her leave, after again instilling a sense of comfort within me, and I turned back to the window, deep in thought.

Something about this scene playing out before me stung of familiarity,; something about this scene seemed memorable. I wracked my thoughts carefully, seeking the correct memory...

Laughter rang out from the common room below, the sweet twinkle of a piano cutting through the din of merrymaking. Lover's just rising embraced, as did lover's long distanced. This was a time of joy and mirth, even for those of his kind. It had been quite some time since this home had resounded with such vitality. Such dance and play and song was not customary among his kind, but, then again, this particular household was not of the customary build. This is where only the stars of his race could be found; those who had revoked the grotesque and Gothic mannerisms of their kind. Here, the thinkers gathered, and the musicians, and the lovers, and the beauties. and the gentry. This is where the best of the worst convened; this coven was one of incomparable wonder.

From across the room, he spotted her, her raven hair almost glittering beneath the light of the many chandeliers. She did not see him watching, but he knew that she felt it. That was the beauty of their bond; the hearts that did not exist within their chests were somehow always connected, somehow always aching to be nearer. Here, however, among the festivities of the hall, they could not be closer.

He smiled to himself as he moved in behind her, catching her around the waist and kissing her ear tenderly. He loved the ease with which she fell back against him, needing no assurance as to who her captor was. No words were exchanged; none were needed. Every minute motion conveyed the words that both wished to say.

I missed you
And I you

She bent her head back lithely, planting the softest of kisses upon his chin, producing the smile she so loved. There was no ferocity in that smile, despite the honed fangs that lurked at the corners of his mouth. It was as if, upon entering the confines of this place, all of the brutality inherent to their natures, dissipated, fading back into the night harmlessly.

This place was a true haven.

She spun elegantly within his arms, standing upon the tips of her toes to better press her lips to his. The kiss was light, barely perceptible, but conveyed indescribable notions of passion,

I love you
And I you

Kissing back softly, he pulled her backwards into the energetic chaos of the patrons, bringing her close and into a waltz, played at the perfect moment. It was their favorite dance; it rung right with their minds, reminding them of good times, now long gone. Still no words were exchanged, for still, none were needed. The music played the role of their conversation, murmuring stories of the day, thoughts of the past, aspirations of the future. They stared deeply into one another's eyes, both smiling secretively, knowing the rest of the crowd was ignorant to their talk, although it played for all of them to hear.

I love you
And I you

They kissed again, a kiss still just as tender, and for a moment, they closed their eyes, reveling in the perfection of it all. The music, the swaying of their feet, the laughter, the kiss; it seemed impossible that monsters such as they would be granted such a beautiful, wonderful moment.

I love you
And I you

For that moment, the rest of the room dulled to grayness; the roar of all of the happy voices faded to a murmur, and there was only she, and he, and their kiss; it was all that mattered.

I love you
And I you

And then everything stopped.

He didn't know if it had been the shattering of glass that had knocked him from his rapture, or the sting of the blaze eating at the tapestries, but he felt his body tense.

The music had stopped.

All around the room, the laughter broke and transformed into panicked yells and defensive roars. The glass continued to shatter all around the compound, and more gluttonous flames took root. His eyes registered where the fires landed; some landed amongst the ancient tables, one eagerly attacked the grand ebony piano, and a handful struck several of the patrons. There was no hope for these ones; how could there be? None of them had ever felt the violent bite of fire.

The warriors of the coven immediately jumped to action. darting around the flames and out of the windows to apprehend the attackers. Some of them were forced to make the best of remaining indoors, for some of the aggressors had made their way in amid the chaos. They were typical Hunters attired in typical garb; heavy black hats complimenting heavy black robes, shielding most of their skin. Thick steel neck-braces circled above their shoulders, concealing their most vulnerable weaknesses. They had come well prepared, but it mattered little; such attacks had been warded off countless times.

But the attacks had always been directed to the inhabitants of this haven.

Never the haven itself.

He noticed the ruse when the bolts ceased bombarding the windows. The infiltrators currently engaged in combat within the room were putting up a fight, but it seemed strained, awkward even. It seemed like a distraction.

That's when he heard the groan of the roof above his head.

Smoke billowed down from above him, and the chandeliers rattled dangerously. On the far end of the room, shards of glass shot down, pelting one of the Hunters mercilessly, as if the old home was doing its best to defend itself.

It took only moments for the roof to set ablaze.

Everything became a roar of sound and movement. The roof came crashing down, flaming splinters flying everywhere. Vampire and human screamed alike, darting every which way. His eyes darted wildly, and he just barely caught a glimpse of that flowing, glistening black hair, her mouth opened in words that were drowned out by the voice of the burning timbers.

Aluraune

The roof came crashing down

Moments passed, the only sound being the laughter of the flames, replacing the laughter of the coven. He did not know how long he lay beneath the fragment of material before he found the strength to move, but move he did. With a growl of pain, he heaved the charred wood away from him, standing instantly, ignoring the searing burns in his skin.

It took no time for him to catch that glimmer of raven hair, lying flat among the cinders.

He began walking in a daze; it reminded him of those first moments he had born into this place, those confused moments of terror and fear and loneliness. It reminded him of everything.

He came to the motionless form of her, lying in a peace he had never seen her in in all his centuries of life. Was she that happy now? Or was it just some sick trick of his senses?

All other sounds were gone; no survivors moved among the debris, and any battle that remained outside of these shambles had moved out of hearing range. There was nothing. No fighting. No yelling. No music/

He stared down at her, no words needing be said. His look conveyed everything he hadn't said, every action he hadn't made, every word they had decided not to vocalize.

I love you

Only the flames spoke to him.


I think it was about this time that I shattered that dusty old window.
♠ ♠ ♠
>< Sorry. It was a burst of inspiration...