Status: Finished

The Only Exception

Love Does Not Exist

How do you date seven guys, get cheated on by four of them, and get your heart broken by all seven within nine months? When your best friend knows all the right people and loves to play matchmaker, you get forced into it. Most of the time her 'miracles' always work out but there's always an exception to everything and for Camille, I’m that exception.

At the beginning of the school year she matched me with the school quarterback, Hunter Marshall and we dated for two and a half months before I found out he was cheating on me. A week and pint of Ben and Jerry's later, Camille was back to working her magic, promising me that the next boy would be better. A few days later I found myself eating dinner alone with soccer goalie Ryan Crawford because Camille 'got sick and couldn't join us’. Ryan and I tried dating and ended our ‘relationship’ a few days later because things were just weird between us and once again I found myself in Camille's room while she sat with her high school hockey star boyfriend contemplating who was going to be the one for me. Camille and Collin discussed and planned my next date for a week before they brought me to one of the high school's swimming matches so I could be whisked off by Owen Hardy, the star swimmer. That was my longest relationship, three months, before we separated on amicable terms. His lifestyle was just so different than mine and neither of us willing to make adjustments or give up our way of life. A few days later, Camille and I were at one of Colin's hockey games when she jumped out of her seat, staring a few rows in front of us, and yanking my arm to pull me up. Less than a minute later I found myself sitting next to shortstop John Stokes while Camille went to go buy nachos. John and I started dating a few weeks later and dated for a month before I caught him with the school’s softball pitcher. After the incident with John, Camille swore she wouldn't try to set me up and I was starting to believe her until she sent me on a blind date right before prom. This time the boy was lacrosse defenseman William Seater and he was the perfect blend of tall, brunette, and athletic - too bad he had his arms all over some other girl at prom. I came as his date and left alone. A week later I was watching boys run around Plymouth's track with Camille and Colin when Anthony Wyatt 'accidentally' bumped into me. Camille encouraged me to give him a shot and I told her I was done with her meddling into my love life because by then I was getting sick of the cheating and the short lived relationships and I figured that there just wasn't a boy for me in Michigan. It was, as I argued, the point of going to college. When Anthony asked me on a date I said yes and our relationship lived on until about a week ago when Camille told me he was also seeing some girl from the local community college.

My senior year at Plymouth High School is enough to inspire a soap opera and here I am on the day before graduation, adding another chapter to 'The Complicated life of Melinda Jacobs'.

"What about Rick Aldrich, the trumpet player in marching band?" Camille asked, throwing her copy of our class yearbook so it landed in front of me with a dull thud.

"I thought we talked about this Cammie. I'm done with you trying to set me up with guys,"

"Come on Mel, look at him!"

"We're graduating tomorrow and I'm not going to get involved in some summer romance when I doubt that Rick is even going to the same college as me this fall,"

"I don't think anyone's going to the same college as you," Camille muttered under her breath before bending down to pick her yearbook up so she could flip through it some more. "I found someone else and there's a 99.9% chance he'll go to some college remotely close to Boston! You have to look past his extreme nerdiness but it's possible," she announced, dropping the yearbook to the ground again. I took one glance at it and wrinkled my nose at the page it was open to.

"Am I even looking at the right page?"

"Which page is it on?" Camille questioned, opening her phone to type a text probably to Collin.

"The bowling team,"

"Then yes! It's Adam Patterson. I think one of Collin's friends knows him and I heard he's going to Harvard this fall. That's close, right?"

"One, I am not dating him, two, what part of I don't want a relationship don't you understand, and three, he probably cares more about his grades than he does about having a girlfriend,"

"I just have to do something great for my best friend. I feel bad about this year and I want to find you someone to love before you go to college; everyone deserves to experience this feeling,"

"Love does not exist," I shrugged, closing the yearbook as a heavy knock came from the other side of the door. Camille groaned and I saved her the trouble of opening up the door to reveal the Flanagan's house-guest, Tyler Seguin.

"Hey Melinda, Camille," Tyler greeted, stepping into the room looking between the two of us curiously. "Look I know that you're kind of busy with graduation but your dad wanted me to tell you -and if it was up to me I'd let you have your own say in this- that, these are his words not mine, since we're playing a big game against London tonight he wants the whole family to come and spend time together,”

"What time’s the game?" Camille asked while twisting a strand of blonde around her finger, something she did when she was thinking hard.

"7, you should bring Collin," Tyler smiled before his eyes settled on me. "I bet you'd enjoy the game if you went, Melinda,"

“I'm actually swamped with last minute graduation stuff. Can you believe I'm class president and I still haven't gotten my speech written yet? I have no idea what to say and graduation’s tomorrow,"

"I know you're class president, I voted for you," Tyler reminded me before scratching the back of his neck. "Whatever you write is going to be great, like that campaign speech. You'll knock 'em dead,"

"Did you even listen to that speech or did you just vote for me because you knew me through Camille and Wendy was... how would Camille put it?"

"Ugly, nerdy, and extremely weird," Camille supplied from her bed, watching the two of us interestedly.

"Sure," I shrugged; shifting so I was sitting on my legs and not the carpet. “My point is I probably can't go tonight, I'm really sorry,"

"Well if you have any time, even if you come for the last five minutes, all you have to do is go to will call and give them your name. I’d love to see you there. If you can make it great but if not I’ll see you tomorrow,” Tyler smiled, before exiting the room and leaving Camille to stare at me with that smile I hated so much.

“Why didn’t I think of this earlier?!” Camille shouted, smacking herself on the forehead. “All this time I wondered who I could hook you up with and he’s been right under my roof. He invited you to his game! You know what this means right?”

“I was honest when I said I can’t go. Besides, Tyler’s really not my type of guy,”

“What’s not to like? He’s a tall, brunette hockey playing phenom!”

“And he’s a prep that’s probably going to get drafted to some amazing team where he’ll let all the fame get to his head. Preps are generally like that,” I added. “You know how I don’t like the people you hook me up with and besides, wouldn’t it be weird for you since Tyler’s pretty much like your brother?”

“Trust me, if I had a hot brother and you were looking for a boyfriend I wouldn’t hesitate to hook you up with him. My matchmaking skills are beastly,” Camille boasted.

“Except when it comes to me,”

“We all have our exceptions. So what do you say Mel? Please?”

“I’m not going to date another sports player, especially one in that crowd. Has it ever occurred to you he doesn’t like me? He’s the talk of hockey so he can get any girl he wants in any city he wants. I promise you that he isn’t going to want me and the minute he moves cities he’ll find a better girl than me. Like I said before, I’m not getting in a relationship that’ll only last this summer. I bet the only thing he knows about me is that I’m your best friend. We’re in two completely opposite crowds,”

“You had gym with him this year, he beat you in basketball and he tutored you in badminton,” Camille reminded me, a smile spreading across her face.

“So he remembers me as the girl who sucks at sports,”

“He’s leaving you a ticket at will call, Mel. You have to go. Please? Let me plan this out for you, I’ll make it worthwhile. You won’t get your heart broken,”

“If I have time tonight, I’ll go but promise me you won’t blow this out of proportion,”

“Great! I’ll text you the details of everything later,” Camille squealed. I rolled my eyes and threw my phone at her, wondering what I just got myself into.
♠ ♠ ♠
So one, I NEVER intended for this chapter to be this long and I'm really sorry that it's so terrible! I've been really off with my writing as of lately.
Two, I started this about a week ago when I decided I wanted Melinda to go to Boston. It's just ironic that Tyler got drafted by Boston.
This is part one of three.
And you know that I appreciate every single comment on my stories (:
Let me know how I'm doing