Werewolf I've Become

Luna and Tenesk's Story

"Seriena? Seriena? Seriena?"

"What!" she yelled pulling her pillow over head.

"Wake up sleepy head, it's like 2:00." Luna sang in a way too peppy voice

"I woke up on the hard floor at 10:00, I've only gottenlike four hours of sleep, give me a rest."

"No you've gotten like 16 hours of sleep." Luna laughed, "Girl, you woke up on the floor yesterday. Don't worry though, that's normal for a new werewolf."

"It's normal for a new werewolf to want to do nothing but sleep?"

"It's normal for a new werewolf to be super tired all the time. Your body is doing some crazy stuff."

"Don't remind me," she relized how sore and stiff she was. "Where's Shadow?"

"Hunting I suppose, I don't know he took off and said he'd be back. He wants to start your training soon so I figured I'd get you up and awake for him."

"So what is training exactly."

"It's more like meditating actually. He's gonna teach you to clear your mind. Once you can do that then you can focus on one thing at a time. The trick to forcing yourself to turn wolf is to focus your entire mind and body on that one thing and tell yourself to do it."

"That sounds easy, like trying to lose weight."

"Ummm, not really" Luna smirked, "I'm pretty sure there's a big difference."

"What did you lose your sense of sarcasm, I know its a big difference stupid. So how is this gonna take?"

"I don't know its up to you. It took me forever but I was bitten when I was young and couldn't focus my mind on anything."

"How did you get bitten, Luna? I alway thought I knew you, but apparently not at all."

Luna felt a pang of guilt come over her again. "Sorry about that, but the old woman who gave you Shadow, she's a werewolf too."

"She bit you?"

"No, no, she adopted me. Werewolves can't have children of their own but she really wanted a kid so she adopted me. Some werewolves help the wolves out by taking in orphaned pups and caring for them, so when I was young i was playing with the pups and one of them bit me and it just happened to be on a full moon night."

"That kinda sucks."

"Not really, I love this job, i can't imagine my life without it."

"So why did she give me Shadow, why did you take me to her."

"Lot's of times even though the wolves don't know it, the werewolves will adopt the pups out to people they feel they can trust, mostly because they have to many. She thought she could trust you because I trusted you, neither one of us ever thought Shadow would become a pack memeber and purposly bite you. We didn't want it to go this far. I am really sorry, Seriena, I don't know what Shadow was thinking."

"Wait a sec, if other wolves are adopted out like domestic dogs then why aren't there more people like you that accidentally get bit on a full moon?"

"Because their owners teach domestic dogs not to bite, and the only way for it to actually work is if the bite draws blood, plus its part of the werewolves job to stay connected with those wolves and make sure their cautous on full moon nights."

Seriena felt like her answers had finally came but she still didn't understand one thing.

"So why did Shadow bite me?"

"I don't know. He said he felt it was the right hting to do, but i don't understand it either."

Just as if on que the slapping sound of the dog door told both the girls Shadow had returned. Seriena looked up, happy he was home until she saw him. He was slightly limping and parts of his fur were matted down with blood.

"What happened?" Luna gasped.

"I was ambushed." he groaned as he limped torwards them and layed down at Seriena's feet.

"By who?"

"I don't know, 5 wolves, not from Huskan's pack. I might have recognized one, I think he's from Tenesk's pack."

"You don't think Tenesk would have sent them out for you would he." Luna asked running her hands over his fur to find wounds.

"I don't know," he grimaced, " a lot of wolves are unhappy with me. Tenesk could have though, with his grudge against the humans."

"What are you talking about." Seriena had returned from getting bandages and other materials.

Luna turned to Seriena, "Tenesk's mate was killed by a human hunter. Tenesk track down her scent hoping she would be alive but instead found her skin several miles away. Some say he killed the hunter, but know really knows but him."

"Either way," Shadow broke in, "he's hated humans ever sense. He puts up with werewolves because when he returned he was half dead and a werewolf nursed him back to health, but he believes in as little as possible, about like Huskan."

"Here, give me a rag."

Luna had found a deep cut in his flank that was still bleeding heavily. Seriena handed Luna rag and she stuffed it into the cut. Shadow grimaced and rolled over to his side.

"Easy Luna," Seriena said in worry.

"I'm fine." Shadow answered through a clenched jaw.

After about an hour they'd managed to stop the bleeding from that wound along with other minor cuts. The gash in his flank seemed to be the worse. Luna stitched it up while Seriena wrapped him in bandages. Soon he resembled a halloween mummy, blood splattered and everything. Shadow had passed out from the pain of the stitching but Luna had been able to finish despite his uncomfortable twitching.

"He'll be fine, he just need to rest, and I need to get home. By the way I took care of you're job and everything. You'll have a new mailman too, You'll get a blank letter about once a month with some cash. When you get, you'll think there's no way in heaven you can live off this, but remember you're a werewolf, they don't expect you to live off it they expect you to get what you need. Live off the land, that's why you need to learn how to turn wolf."

"You mean they want me to hunt and eat deer and stuff?"

"Something like that, don't worry it's not that bad, Shadow will show you the ropes, he probably shouldn't be going out by himself much more anyways, not for a while. Just keep an eye on him and let him rest. I'll be seeing you around Seriena."

"Okay, bye, Luna."

Seriena walked back over to Shadow's wrapped up body, motionless other than his slow breathing. She checked his bandages and sat beside him.

"I don't know if I can do this, Shadow." she whispered, "What if I can't turn wolf. What I freak out over killing something."

No response came and she felt stupid for talking to a sleeping wolf. She didn't know what to do, she felt like a lost child wanting guidance but having none and being suddenly very alone.

"What is there to do anymore, I have no job, I have no life."
She realized there was nothing left. Except being a wolf. She recalled Luna saying she had to clear her mind to focus on one thing and will her body to do that one thing. She leaned up against the wall and attempted to clear her head. It was easier than she thought. It felt good, forcing everything that had been driving her mad to go away, leaving a blank page.

She enjoyed the moment momentarily and then tried to imagine herself. Then tried to imagine herself with nothing but blankness around her and her body distorting. She willed herself to do what she was seeing with her eyes closed. Her body morphed and with images moving in and out she became a wolf. She imagined herself running faster than wind, wanting her body to do the thing she was imagining.

She felt it. Her body tensing, She thought she was imagining it but it was happening. Her legs were trying to shorten, her hands curled, her face felt as if it were being pulled off. Her spine snapped as it shortened. Then she saw her eyes in her mind. She saw her eyes but her eyelids were rapidly growing fur around them.

Then they changed, they were a vibrant gold, staring at her in determination. She recognized those eyes and that look. It was Shadow. She tried to back off in her mind and yelped in realization of her body snapping back to normal. Then she lay on the ground next to an Shadow breathing heavily.

She looked at her hands. They were still hands. Yet, she knew she'd almost done it. She'd almost become a wolf. She'd just strayed off track with her worry over Shadow. She put a hand on his side and watched him breath peacefully in his sleep, feeling surprised of herself.