Status: In Progress

Catch a Falling Star

Chapter IX

I stared at myself a long time in the full length mirror. My brown hair was pulled half way back and pinned with a silver clip, the blonde wisps framing my face. I wore just enough make up to hide the bags under my eyes and to slightly emphasize my eyes. If I was going to do this, I was going to go all out.

I checked my knee length black dress one more time, making sure the white buttons were centered with the middle of my body. It had a strap that was tied around my neck in a little bow, which I was grateful for. I didn’t want anything to happen.

Goals for tonight:
Go down there.
Eat.
Come back up and change out of this uncomfortable thing.
Get the date over within 30 minutes. I didn’t wanted to be there longer than absolutely necessary.

Once more I sighed, and slipped on my black flats. I hooked a silver necklace, one that had a sliver ring with foreign words engraved in it, around my neck, grabbed a small black bag, and headed down to my doom.

He was down there, waiting, which didn’t surprise me. I was slightly early, it only being 6:20pm. There was a peculiar look on his face, one of almost worry and anger, as his eyes watched over the lake.

Dressed in all black, his completion and eyes really stood out, especially against the sunset. I stood for a moment more, watching him, until it hit me what a creeper I was being. I touched his arm, to let him know I was here, and he flinched, badly.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you.”

He turned to face me, his eyes freely roaming over me, one eyebrow raised. “You look lovely.”

“Thank you, and you’re not too bad yourself.” I said, both of us standing there awkwardly.

After a few moments, my only guess of him recomposing, he moved out of the way to reveal a quaint, little picnic set up facing the lake. It was just a plain white cloth, with a tan picnic basket in the middle.

I stood silently for a moment, surprised at the sight in front of me. “Quite the romantic, Malfoy.”

“Draco.”

“Sorry?”

“Please, at least for this, call me Draco.”

“Um…okay,” I said, sitting on one side of the basket as he sat on the other.

With a quick flick of his wand, the basket began to unload itself, plates, cups, napkins, salad, bread, roasted chicken, you get the idea.

We ate in silence for a while, and to my own surprise, I was hoping someone would talk soon. Every so often our eyes would catch, but both of us would look away quickly, sometimes with a slight laugh.

Finally I couldn’t take it anymore. “Why are you doing this?”

Now he was the one confused.

“Why are you being so nice to me? Anyone else would have just given me detention.”

He continued with the food he already had in his mouth, before swallowing. “I figured this would be more painful.” Then the blasted smirk showed up. I rolled my eyes.

The silence filled up the empty air again. Merlin, this was so akward!

I sat my plate down, and watched the lake for a couple of minutes. Okay, I had had enough. If we would have least talked, I would be okay, but there wasn’t other than the total four sentences, three of them being from me.

“Well, thank you for the meal, Draco. I’m going to head up.”

“Wait,” he said grabbing my arm. “There is another reason I am doing this.” But his words have faded to the back of my mind. There were footsteps in the forest, the ones that I fear will find me every day. Then I saw the flash of silver and did what felt, well, Natural.

I grabbed Draco’s arm and faced my palm outward toward the forest. Whatever spell that was sent, froze in front of the two of us.

“Brittana, what’s going on?”

“Go inside.”

“Britt-“

“Draco, please, go inside.” I swallowed, pulling together a sentence that would make him do what I asked. “I don’t want you to get hurt. Letting go of his arm, I saw him flick his wand again, putting everything in the basket and then the basket disappear.

“Brittana, I’m not leaving you alone with a crazed whatever!”

“Draco! Please!” I closed my eyes, my clothes changing into a solid black outfit, one that resembled something close to an asylum. My left hand moved behind my back, a dagger appearing in it.

“The Pureblood!” Someone shouted from the forest, a man by the voice. And that’s when all hell broke loose. Multiple spells were flying toward us, and it was hard to dodge them all, especially with him with me. I grabbed his arm and ran to the door.

“Brittana what are they talking about? Why are they trying to kill you?”

I opened the door and shoved him inside. “Please just stay –“

“No, I want to help –“

And I did something that I will most likely come to regret. I kissed him, then and there on the lips. “Please stay in here.” I slammed the door shut, and put a protection spell on it.

Running downhill, toward the gate, I started thinking of home, the Orphanage where I grew up. The town where it lay was hidden by a spell, to protect our kind. I could only pray that it was still there, now that the Hunters were back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, everyone! I'm so sorry that I haven't posted in such a long time. I have been in college the past two weeks and it's been kinda busy. But there are two chapters up! Hope you enjoy! Please, please comment. I really want to know what y'all think!

~Kait