The Heart Never Lies

Confused

I lay staring at my ceiling. It’s been about an hour and I still don’t know what to do about Daniel. Should I have let him finish? Or was I right to keep him from saying the rest of what he was going to do?

My phone had rung three times already. I didn’t get up to check who it was or to answer it. I just left it there to ring until it went to voicemail. I wanted to figure everything out once and for all. Even if that meant that I was going to cut off contact from the world beyond my room.
Finally there was a knock on my door. I looked at it. I sighed before yelling, “Come in!”

My mom walked through the door with an apologetic smile. I narrowed my eyes slightly. She is up to something. Or already did something. “Hey, honey. I talked to Daniel before he left.” I bit my lip.

“What did he say?!” I sat up quickly. She closed the door.

“Not much really. Just that you were mad at him. But you see the thing is that your father and I made plans to have dinner with him and his family. I don’t know if you want to go if you are mad at him.” I bit my lip.

“Did he say anything about me, other than the fact that I was mad at him?” I still questioned. My mom smirked before sitting on my bed.

“That he didn’t know what to do to let him explain himself.” It made me want to go ‘awe.’ “He seemed really upset. What did he do, if I can ask?” I hesitated. I mean, this is my mom. I can tell her anything. But about Daniel, I never told anyone. Except for Kayla and Sam, but they don’t probably understand like my mother would.

“You know how we were best friends, right? Well… When Sam and his brothers moved here he stopped talking to me. He was never mean, trust me. But our friendship just fell apart. And now lately, he’s wanted to reconnect like there was never a time period where we never talked. I’m confused because I don’t know if I should forget about everything and be his friend or if I should make him go through the torture of proving to me that he sincerely wants to be my friend. What do I do?” I whined. My mom pursed her lips.

“Well what do you feel for him?”

“What do you mean?” She patted my knee.

“What you want to do depends on what you feel for him. If you don’t really like as much as you used to, then do you really think that forgiving him right away is the best thing? If you still see him as the boy who said hi to you first and always tried to be there for you, do you think that those years were a minor detour to improving your relationship?” She had to really good points but I didn’t know which one to chose.

“But I’m so confused on what I feel for him.” I grabbed a pillow and shoved my face in, screaming. “Why can’t it be when we were younger, all he had to do was buy me a lollipop to make me forgive him!” She laughed.

“You grew up.” Her brows then furrowed. “Do you like more than just a friend?” When I failed to lift my head and answer she gasped. “I knew it!” I looked up, shocked.

“What do you mean ‘I knew it’?” I asked skeptically. Her smile faltered.

“Oh nothing. I just knew that the two of you will somehow be together when you got older.” I stood up in a defense stance.

“We are so not together, Mother! Did you not just here how much of a jerk he was to leave me?”

“From what I heard, you like him. A lot. Why don’t you just talk to him? A serious talk, where you say what you’re confused about and he explains himself, and once that is done you make your decision?” I contemplated the idea. I nodded.

“That’s a good idea, actually. So we’re going to have dinner with them tonight and I talk to him there?” She nodded with a small smile. I grinned. I gave a surprise hug.

“Thank you, Mom! I couldn’t have thought of something to do if it weren’t for you.”

“Wait! You didn’t think of the idea. I did!” I chuckled pushing her to the door.

“Oh yes, Mother, you did. I have to get ready now. What time are we going over there? Or are they coming over here? Or are we going somewhere?” She put her hand on the knob.

“We’re going to a restaurant. It’s at six. You have enough time to get ready.” She closed the door behind her.

I reached over to my phone to finally check who called me and to see what time it was. Two missed calls from Kayla and one from Sam. The time: 4:03. Yeah right I had enough time to get ready. I decided to look for clothes while I called Kayla back first, then Sam. While I looked in my closet I rang back Kayla.

“Hello? Hayden? What is wrong with you not answering me? Gosh… Anyway I just wanted to see how you were okay. You left us without saying what or where you were going. Sam called you too and I’ll tell him what happened so you don’t have to call him.” I picked up a white casual dress. Well it wasn’t exactly white. Black ribbon hugged the abdomen, the hem line was black. The rest was white with black flower designs. It was beautiful. But I didn’t know where we were going. “Hayden?”

“Sorry I’m looking for something to wear. I came home. Tonight I’m going to have dinner with Daniel and his parents. Of course my mom and dad are going too. I’m looking for something to wear.”

“Oh. Well I just wanted to ask what you were up to. I guess I’ll leave you to get ready. Call me later though. Okay?” I nodded but then remembered we were talking over the phone.

“Yeah no problem. Bye.” We hung up. I looked at the dress. I really wanted to wear it. I walked over to my door and opened it. “Mom!” I yelled out. I glanced at the dress.

“What?!” I chuckled.

“Where are we going exactly?!”

“Somewhere nice!”

“Okay. Thanks!” I closed the door. Somewhere nice, I’m definitely wearing this dress. I just hope that everything goes to plan.