It Was Always You

Chapter 01

Returning home from South Africa, he headed to the Redlands instead of Los Angeles. The loss against Ghana in the World Cup was hard to swallow and before he boarded his flight with the rest of team USA, he heard from his wife. She signed the divorce papers that her lawyer drew up while he was playing for his nation. He didn't think she would wait until he left the country before doing all of it, he figured that she would at least wait until he came home until she laid all of this on him.

Going to Redlands to see his mom and his twin sister, Tristan gave him some peace from what was going on around him. When he married Bianca, not once did he ever think that they would be where they are today. He loved her, but things just were not working out and they both knew it. The only difference between the two of them was he was willing to fix it and she just wanted to throw the towel in and forget about it all. That was just something that he couldn't do, he couldn't forget. The pain was still too fresh in his mind. He really wanted things with her to work, but sometimes it felt as if he was the only one that did.

“Landon?”

Snapping his eyes open, he looked at his twin sister and best friend dressed nicely, but as far as he knew there was no man in her life. Their bond growing up had been strong, more so that they sought the approval of who the other was dating. It wasn't something their other siblings did, but it was who they were.

“Where are you off to?” he asked sitting up so she could sit down.

“After mom gets done getting ready, we are going over to the park. The Johnson's are having a picnic get together since their family is all together for the first time since Kourtney left after high school.”

“You still keep in touch with her?” Landon asked surprised, he had no idea that Tristan had kept in contact with her best from high school after she hightailed it out of her house and away from everything she knew.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I think I was one of the few people she told that she was leaving right after the graduation party at her mom's place.”

“Have fun at the picnic.”

“I won't tell you.”

“Tell me what?” he questioned her.

“I won't tell you how she's doing or what her relationship status is. You don't need to say it for people to realize that you still care for her even if you two were never technically together.”

“We had one date.” Landon reminded his sister.

“Prom does not count as a date. So if you want to come, you better go change so that you don't look like you just rolled out of bed and threw on that outfit.”

“I thought it was just a picnic.” Landon said as he stood up.

“Doesn't mean you can't look nice. Now hurry up!”

Heading up the stairs to his old bedroom that he was staying in before heading back to Los Angeles, he pulled out a pair of nice jeans and a white polo shirt. Putting on a pair of tennis shoes, he tied them before stuffing his wallet into the back pocket of his jeans. Heading downstairs, he saw both his mother, step-father and sister waiting on him. “Much better.”

“So are we going or what?” Landon asked.

“Yeah, we're going.”

Carpooling with his family was something he hadn't in a long time, but it brought back the memories of when he was younger and still living with his family before leaving to play in Germany. Although Germany had been good for him, he missed some of the small family things that happened. The car ride there felt like it had only taken a few minutes, but it was actually closer to fifteen minutes. Getting out of the car, Landon and Tristan walked side by side behind their parents like they did when they were younger.

“Donna! Tim!”

Hearing the voice of Mrs. Johnson was always surprising. She was a nice lady, but sometimes she acted younger than her youngest child and that would annoy Kourtney to no end. Landon remembered because he would hear Kourtney complain to his sister about the things her mother was doing or planning. Some of the time, he had found it funny, but other times he had felt bad for her.

“Nicole, how nice it is to see you.” Donna said giving the woman a hug.

“And you as well. I wish I could convince that daughter of mine to come home more often, then we could have these annually.”

“Landon, Tristan, you remember Kourtney's mother, Nicole, don't you?”

“Well bless my heart, little Tristan and Landon. I haven't see either of you since you were in high school.”

“It's nice to see you again Mrs. Johnson.” Landon smiled.

“Same here dear,” Nicole said. “I hope you are all hungry. Kourtney made enough food to feed five large families with teenage boys and we know how much they like to eat.”

“And where are Kourtney and Charlie?” Tristan asked.

“The last time I saw them, Kourtney was taking Max to an open space to kick the soccer ball around and I think she took Noel with her too. And Charlie was eating since he doesn't have to look after the kids. His wife will come by later on, but the poor thing was up all night with Noel.”

“Who are Max and Noel?” Landon asked.

“They are Charlie's kids.”

“Oh.”

Sitting at the picnic bench with his sister and Charlie hadn't been as awkward as he had thought. They talked about Charlie's kids, his career, Landon's career and when the topic turned to marriage Landon have never been so grateful for an interruption. Handing over the baby to Charlie was Kourtney Johnson and as soon as the baby was out of her arms, his sister was hugging her. He had his doubts that Tristan had kept in touch with Kourtney and now he knew it was truthful. Landon didn't think his sister was lying, more like telling him something so that he would come along to the picnic.

“Your so tan!”

Kourtney's laughter filled the area, it was still the same as it had been all those years ago. “I guess you didn't expect that, huh?”

“Not when you work in doors,” Tristan laughed. “It has been way too long. You need to come home.”

“Good luck with that,” Charlie said. “I swear she loves LA more than she does home.”

“You live in LA?” Landon asked speaking up.

“Yeah, kinda have to, its where my job is.”

Seeing Landon here, at the picnic had been shocking. Kourtney knew that he was in town, her mother only mentioned it three or four times as she was making food for the picnic. The only reason she was back right in Redlands was because she wanted to see Charlie's kids. She should have known that coming home meant that she would be hounded by the fact that Charlie was married with kids and she was living alone in Los Angeles and her mother just thought the idea of her alone in the city was horrible. What her mother failed to realize was that she was a grown woman and she can take care of herself.

“And what do you do?”

The question was simple, but Kourtney knew what he was asking. He wanted to know if she still had the same attitude that she left with. Looking into Landon's brown eyes, Charlie's phone started to go off and he handed Noel over to her aunt. “I'm the photographer for the Los Angeles Kings and on occasion the Lakers. But mainly the Kings.”

“How long have you been in LA?” Landon asked as he watched her skirt slide up her thighs a bit as she sat down on the bench next to his sister. Moving his eyes back to hers, she had a small smile on her face, but she was looking down at the baby in her arms.

“About two years,” Kourtney told him. “I was working in St. Louis, but when my contract was up I was contacted by the Kings organization and they offered me a great contract and they still allow me to have time to do my freelancing so it works out really good for me. I mean the weather is just so beautiful, but I don't have to tell you that.”

“No, Los Angeles has great weather.” he agreed.

“So when do you have to go back?” Tristan asked.

“Four days. I actually have a friend watching my place and watching my puppy.”

“You got a puppy?” Tristan asked, a smile on her face. “What kind? What did you name it?”

“He's a German Shepard and his name is Scout. The nice thing is he actually sleeps in his own little bed.”

“Do you dress him up?” Landon asked, a smirk on his face.

“He has a Kings hat, but it doesn't fit him. It was a gift, but I did take a picture of him with it on and sleeping next to it so that I don't feel so bad he doesn't wear it.”

Both Tristan and Landon laughed. It was just like they were back in high school and Kourtney was complaining that her mother was trying to dress up the cats. It wasn't like anyone would see them since they were indoor cats, but still.

“So do you have any plans for after the picnic?” Tristan asked.

“Tristan...” Landon started.

“Landon...” she mocked him, a smile on her face. “Who knows when the next time she's gonna be home and I don't care if you want to join or not.”

“Did you have a plan?” Kourtney asked, looking at Tristan.

“A movie in our living room. Just like old times.”

“You mean when we were in high school?” Kourtney laughed.

“Yeah, do you remember the last time we did that?” Tristan asked. “We had so much fun.”

“We were in high school. You and Jeremy forced me and Landon on the loveseat while you two had the whole couch to yourselves.”

“And if I remember correctly, you and Landon both fell asleep during the movie.”

“Well if you had put a decent movie on that wouldn't have happened.” Landon said putting his two cents in.

“I was tired.” Kourtney argued.

“Excuses, excuses,” Tristan laughed. “So what do you say? A movie at our place?”

“Who is all coming?”

“It'll just be you, me, Landon and Jackson.”

“Who's Jackson?” Kourtney and Landon said.

“This guy that I like,” Tristan said. “It'll be like old times.”

“I'm not sure....”

“C'mon, Kourt, it'll be like old times. At least for one night.”

Nodding her head, she looked between Landon and Tristan. “What time?”

Tristan looked between her brother and the girl that he had loved, but never did anything. The only thing was his feelings weren't one sided. Landon and Kourtney were good friends and could have been great together, but they had been too stubborn to make the first move. And now, since Landon's divorce was finalizing, she figured she could help her brother get over Bianca by proving that although she had approved of her, she would have approved more had it been Kourtney that he had married. And a night just like they had so many times in the past might just be what the two needed. At least that was what she was hoping for.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been thinking of doing a Landon story for awhile. And this is the time. Let me know what you think.

Have a great day!!