Status: FINISHED.

Of Confidence

Quatre

Melanie sat up from her soft bed below her as she listened for the noise that had awakened her. She looked to the glowing light on her phone, signally that she had a new text as she realized it was her ringtone.

Go on your balcony. Now.

Melanie groaned before rolling out of her bed and letting her feet softly carry her to the cold April air. Melanie rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, and was surprised when she saw John sitting on the edge of her balcony.

“What could you possibly want at four in the morning, John?”

John ran over to her and scooped her up into his arms carrying her back into her room. He had an excited smile on his eyes, and she could tell that he had something to tell her.

He set her down on her bed before sitting down next to her, quietly staring at her. “What’s up?” Melanie asked, confused.

"Okay, so Forever the Sickest Kids are staying in town for the rest of the week, and they stopped by our band practice today and..."

"And what?!" she asked an excited grin pulling at her lips.

"And they invited us to go on tour with them! Melanie, we're going on our first real tour! The real deal!" He yelled in a whisper as he picked her up and spun her around.

"Oh my God, John! This is amazing!" Melanie kissed his cheek, as he set her feet back down on the floor. The smile never left his face as he pulled her in for another bone crushing hug.

But then it hit her. John was going on tour, meaning…he was leaving. “When do you leave?” She asked quietly.

"Saturday morning," he replied.

"Wow, that's in like, three days." she paused, "How long will you be gone?"

"Three months," he said.

Melanie was silent. Three months. That meant ninety days without her best friend.

"That's awesome, John. I'm really proud of you," she said, her voice barely audible.

"Babe," he said pulling Melanie over to her bed, grabbing her hands in his. "It's not that long. I'll call you whenever I can and I'm flying up for your prom. It'll be like I'm not even gone."

"I'm really proud of you," was all she could seem to say.

John pulled Melanie against him and laid them down. She rested her head against his chest and took in the smell of him; body wash and cologne; she savored it.

"Since I'm leaving on Saturday I plan on spending every moment I'm here with you," he said.

She silently nodded against his chest, her grip tightening around his waist, to signal as if she was never going to let him go.

He took in a deep breath and sighed, "I'm going to miss you so much, Melly."

"You have no idea," Melanie whispered as she let her tears stain her cheeks.

___________________________________________________________

"I can't believe this is our last day," Melanie whispered, softly.

John had Melanie had been inseparable for the past three days, just as he had promised. The only time they were alone is when she was in class (because her parents wouldn’t let her ditch), and that’s when John would pack.

Yesterday the two had spent their day swimming in her pool, and watching all of the Karate Kid movies, stuffing their faces with pizza. Today John had taken her to dinner, movies, and now they laid in the grass of their favorite childhood park.

The cool grass gave Melanie goose bumps on her uncovered legs, and she wrapped her arms around herself, trying to warm up. She could feel John moving next to her in the grass and her goose bumps were now because of John’s arm brushing the exposed skin on her back as he slipped his arm around her waist, pulling her into him. "I'm going to miss you so much, Melanie."

"What's on the agenda for the rest of today? I mean, when we wake up again," Melanie asked. She still had school again tomorrow, and she knew that she would be sleeping in all of her classes after her and John’s all nighter tonight.

He shrugged. "I figured we could chill at my house. Maybe you could help me finish packing?"

"I'll help if you're lucky," Melanie teased.

"Oh come on! You'll get to touch my underwear!"

"Yes, because that's what I've always dreamed of doing," she replied sarcastically.

"I knew it!" he exclaimed.

Melanie laughed and snuggled against him, as close as she physically could. Her body fit flawlessly against his side, and she wrapped her arms around his waist. She laid her face in the crook of his neck and she felt him shudder when air slipped through her lips and blew onto his sensitive skin.

"I love you, Melanie," John said softly.

"I love you too, John."

Melanie inwardly sighed, knowing that they meant it in two different ways, but she didn’t even care at the moment.

She felt John starting pulling on her waist as he placed her on top of him. "God, am I crushing you?"

"Are you kidding? You weigh like two pounds," he said.

She rested her chin on his chest and looked into his eyes. She took in every detail of his face, memorizing it in her mind. The slope of his nose, the way his hair messily fell onto his forehead, the way the left side of his smile pulled up into a grin…

"What are you thinking about?" John asked, interrupting her thoughts.

She felt his hand wrap around her back and slip under the hem of her shirt. She could feel the heat of his body as his fingers drew circles in the small of her back.

"What are you thinking about?" Melanie asked, embarrassed that she was sitting there thinking of how gorgeous he was. She noticed that her breathing was rugged, and she felt butterflies in her stomach as his fingers never stopped moving.

"I asked you first," he replied.

"I was thinking about how much fun you're going to have on tour," She lied, "Your turn."

"I was thinking about how beautiful you've gotten," he said. Melanie felt her cheeks begin to heat up. "I mean, you used to just be known as 'John's best friend', but over the past few years you've become-"

She cut him off, "That one hot, innocent girl who all the guys want to bang. Garrett filled me in already."

"Okay first of all, you, my friend, are anything but innocent. Second, you're not 'hot', you’re beautiful. And third, you're not just some girl, you're my girl. Tell Garrett to get his facts straight," he replied.

Melanie smiled and leaned her face to place her lips on John’s cheek, but before she got there he placed his hand on her neck, pushing her away from him and he swiftly rolled on top of her body. Her breath caught as she felt the heat of his body radiating on every part of her skin. John looked her in the eyes for a moment before he let his lips fall onto her forehead. He delicately kissed her, like she was going to break. John kissed from her forehead, to her temple, to her cheek, and to the corner of her mouth.

Melanie couldn’t control her breathing, and every part of her skin felt as it was on fire.

His lips slowly kissed down her jaw line and to the hollow below her ear. Melanie let a gasp escape from her lips, and she could feel John smiling on to her neck. He kissed down her neck, and across her shoulders, and back up throat. She was tingling all over. He kissed up her chin, and finally the corner of her mouth again. But then he stopped.

She watched as he lifted his eyes to her baby blues, and she saw a new emotion that John had never before given her: need.

He lifted his hand to the back her neck, using the other to balance his weight so he wouldn’t crush her inferior frame. He moved his lips from the corner of her lips and he let his mouth softly graze hers. She could taste his breath on her tongue and she was fighting every urge in her body that was telling her to fill the space. She waited for him to make the final move.

Just as his lips were about to push onto Melanie’s, he pulled away. She laid there motionless as he sat up running his hand through his hair. He picked himself up off the grass and faced away from her.

"I should get you home," he said, not meeting her eyes, and when he turned to her his face was hard.

"Okay," she mumbled, confusion filling her every bone .She got up off the grass, picking up her bag and shoes. He finally looked her in the eyes and his expression softened. He was sad, but Melanie didn’t know why…he stopped the kiss.

John led her to his car and they drove home in silence, Melanie still trembling as she remembered the heat of his skin; the soft texture of his lips.

When Melanie arrived home, she changed into a pair of shorts and a Hollister sweater while John went next door to change into his pajamas.

Melanie laid on her bed and tried to make sense of what had just happened at the park. John had almost kissed her. He kissed her all over, but when he almost sealed the deal, he stopped. Did she do something wrong?

It was about a half hour later before Melanie heard her balcony door open and felt arms wrap around her waist. She rolled over in John’s arms to where she was facing him.

"Sing a song to me," Melanie whispered. She wouldn’t dare bring up what had just happened, figuring he wouldn’t know either. She didn’t need his explanations right now. Right now she just wanted his voice to lure her to sleep,

"What song do you want to hear?" John asked.

"You pick," she said while resting her head against his chest. She felt his breath at her ear and she closed her eyes.

"It's a new one, only have part of it done," he whispered before he began to sing.

“She thinks I'm crazy, judging by the faces that she's making. And I think she's pretty, but pretty's only part of the things she does that amaze me. She calls me sweetheart. I love it when she wakes me when it's still dark. And she watches the sun, but she's the only one I have my eyes on. Tell me that you love me, and it'll be all right. Are you thinking of me? Just come with me tonight. You know I need you, just like you need me. Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."
♠ ♠ ♠
Melanie's outfit.
OMG DID THAT ALMOST JUST HAPPEN!?
YES, BUT IT DIDN'T (;
I think you should comment me, it brings a smile to my face. The next chapter will be pretty exciting, so more comments & I miiiiight update faster (:
oh, & check this story out: It's amazing<3