‹ Prequel: Brendan Dude
Status: Regular updates every Sunday and Wednesday (when it begins)

Lukey Kid

The Last Hurrah?

We tried, man.

We tried so hard.

But once something strikes the ears of an average student, it’s not a thing of the past until everyone’s heard it at least twice.

That being said, everybody caught word of our record deal. And that resulted in goodbyes, teasing, a ton of forms, and most of all, congratulations.

We’d be in Miami for what would probably be close to half a year, which meant no more Claymore High. So all of our teachers slammed us with withdrawal forms as far as the eye could see. That wasn’t a huge problem.

The problem was, we couldn’t go two seconds without getting a “Good luck” from a random kid. I mean, it wasn’t like I hated being well known, and it was actually kind of humbling.

But it kind of hurt.

Even if I was born a Jersey kid, Claymore was my home that I knew. I’d never been to Miami, so I didn’t know what it would be like. I didn’t really want to leave.

But another part of me screamed, “Let’s go!”

So, yeah. I listened to the other part of me.

“Ren, did you bring your underwear?”

“Yes, Mom…”

“What about your toothbrush?”

Yes, Mom.”

“What about-”

“Mom! People are watching!” Ren whispered harshly.

I laughed to myself, throwing my suitcases on the conveyer belt. Today was the day we’d be trading our plane tickets for plane seats and getting ready to spend half a year in Miami. Of course, our parents had to drive us down to the airport, but it was better than them just throwing us out without so much as a goodbye.

We ventured to our terminals. It was only ten in the morning, and a Wednesday, so technically we were kind of skipping school. Well, we would be, if we were still enrolled at Claymore High. And if it weren’t for the immense amount of crap we had to bring along, we’d definitely be driving. (“Hell no, that shit won’t fit in my van,” Joey had said.)

Soria flopped down in a chair beside me, thumbing through her mp3 player. She yawned loudly and stretched, turning heads. Ren smiled down at her. “Tired?” he laughed.

“Zip it,” she growled with a smirk.

Brendan’s parents squeezed him and Joey in hugs. Joey got a stern talk about responsibility, which I’m fairly certain the whole airport got to hear. Then Ren was hugged goodbye by his mom and dad - his mom especially. She even took the time to pull each of us in her embrace, tears in her eyes. Soria’s dad couldn’t manage a smile as he held his daughter for what would be the last in a long time.

Sarah held me in a tight hug, speechless. Thomas squeezed my shoulder, standing at my eye level.
“You gonna be good?” he smiled.

“Yeah.”

“Alright then. We’ll see you.”

“Alright.”

They turned to exit our flight terminal as the passengers were called onto the plane. The five of us grouped together instinctively, walking through that long tunnel to find our seats.

I sucked in a deep breath.

“We’re gonna have so much fun.”