Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Magic Words

R I V E R

I felt nervous, almost like i was going to meet Embry's parents. I knew I wasn't, these were friends, but still, my stomach was twisting itself together.

Or maybe it was my lack of food that was making me dizzy. Or Embry's touch that made my breathing come faster and my heart accelerate. I never knew anymore, it seemed like everything made me scared or nervous or jumpy all the time.

We emerged from the hallway, Sam following close behind. A silence fell across the room. For a second I grew embarassed and felt a blush creep across my cheeks. I looked down at myself. Yep, all of my clothes were there. They were barely hanging on me though. I looked sickly, like, on the verge of death sickly. I couldn't see myself under the material. I lifted my shirt a little away from myself and saw that my stomach was severely concaved. I reached up a little and felt my rib cage in scary definition.

I then remembered that i was still in front of people and looked up to see them staring at my stomach as well, all had sympathetic looks on their faces. I looked at Embry. He had his eyes closed and he was...shaking? I could feel tremors rolling off of his body in waves.

"Embry?" i asked, resting a hand on his bare shoulder. He took a deep breath before opening his eyes and giving me a small smile. I gave one back and then gripped my stomach, trying to protect it from view.

"Would it be okay if I...um, if i had something to eat?" i asked. A woman emerged from the kitchen, a large plate in her hands. She was beautiful, but when she turned from the table to look at me i saw she had three long scars running down the side of her face.

I still thought she was beautiful though, i had learned to try and ignore scars.

"Hello." she said kindly, extending her hand while a smile spread across her face. I shook it timidly, still feeling like i was in a dream.

"Hi." i said.

"I'm Emily." she said, i glanced back at Sam and saw that they made quite a cute couple, like they were made for each other.

"I'm -"

"River!!!" came a bellowing sound from the table. Seated there were a mass of native boys, all huge, and all shirtless. Why am i not surprised? I thought.

"Embry won't shut-up about you. Just so you know." said a tall boy with a short hair-cut, it was hard to differenciate though, because they all had short hair and, honestly, nice bodies.

"Ohh cool it Paul!" shouted Emily, but she smiled anyways. Only then did she seem to notice how my clothes hung off me. "Oh my, sit down! I'll let you get the first of the food before the boys devour it all!" she laughed.

I smiled greatfully and sat down at the table, Embry somehow managed to squeeze in next to me.

I looked at the plates that were set on the table. There was so much food! I couldn't believe that even everyone together would be able to finish it. I put tons of eggs and bacon and a muffin probably the size of my face. I filled my glass with orange juice so that it was near over-flowing.

I looked at Embry to see he was smiling.

"What?" i asked, slightly concerned that my huge appetite was in fact a huge turn-off.

He leaned closer and burrowed his face into my neck.

"I like a girl with a big appetite." he whispered. I shivered involuntarily and blushed at the many cat calls that sounded around the table. I pushed him away playfully as everyone attacked all of the food, making me comfortable enough to eat mine. While he still had food in his mouth, Embry named off all of the people at the table.

"That's Jake, Paul, Jared, you know Kim, Quil..." he rambled on and the names began to seem like a jumbbled mess inside my head. Kim seemed to catch on that it was just too much.

"umm Embry. Maybe you can do this after she gains, let's say thirty pounds." she laughed. I smiled at her and sent over a wave.

All of the sudden there were bounding little footsteps coming down one of the hallways. Into the dining area came running a hyper-active Max with severe bed-head.

"RIVUR!!!" he screamed, running over to me. I met him half-way, completely forgetting my food and collapsing onto the floor in front of him.

I pulled him into a hug and combed his hair with my fingers, letting the full extent of our escape sink in. Max was okay. He was alive and healthy and happy.

"Hey Max. How's my big boy been doing?" i asked, pulling away from him so i could stare him directly in his big blue eyes.

"I've been weally guud! I helpy Emily cook all of da food, and i even made my own bed yesturday!" he smiled. It seemed odd for him to still have a speech problem, after he'd been through so much, but i loved it.

"That's really good Max!" I cried, pulling him into another hug so he couldn't see the tears gathering in the corners of my eyes. He was so warm and small and it made me so happy to be able to talk to him so freely.

I quickly wiped the tears out of my eyes when he pulled away to rant to me again.

"And Embrey even said the magic wurds!!" he giggled, running over to jump in Embry's lap.

I smiled but then it dawned on me...how could Embry know the magic words?

I looked over at Embry and found him staring at me.

"He said the magic words huh?" i asked, smirking despite myself. I should have been scared or worried, but i found it funny that Embry knew. Maybe it meant that he had watched me while i didn't go to school.

Yeah, that should definitely be a turn off River. I sighed to myself. I didn't think so though. I was only worried that i wasn't worried. Loving Embry was like having a relationship on fast-forward. I cared too much about some things and didn't care enough about others.

I should have cared that he knew the magic words, but i wasn't. Not at all.

Stupid Embry Call, you don't know what you do to me. I thought, allowing a smile to play across my lips as i returned to my seat and began to eat again. Half-way through my muffin i leaned over to Embry.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do." i whispered, raising my eyebrows at him. I expected him to throw me one of his easy smiles, but instead his face grew serious and he reached down to rub my leg. For a second he just traced the pattern in my pants, but then he rested his hand on top of mine.

He looked me dead in the eyes, in those deep chocolate pools i could see something stirring. Something he didn't want to say or do. I stared right back, ignoring everyone else for that moment.

"And you've got a lot of listening to do." he whispered, sighing sadly.