Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

The Beach

R I V E R

I was sitting on the beach, watching the waves crash on the sand. Now and then i would see something jump in the distance. Beside me, Max was trying to make a sand-castle, but it just looked like a lump to me.

"Let's go play Max!" called the little girl from a little down the beach. It was Claire. Quil smiled at her from his spot a few feet back. He was a total role model for her, I could tell. I wasn't sure if he was the best role model though, considering his dirty sense of humor.

"I'm gonna go play with Claur Rivur. I louve youu." he sang, planting a kiss on my cheek before running off. I smiled at his retreating back before returning my attention to the water. It was pretty today. I had helped Emily clean up before taking a stroll with Max, Embry had stayed behind to talk to Sam. It seemed more like Sam wanted to talk to him.

Now i was alone. Time to think. About...well everything. Mom...no, she wasn't mom anymore, i could call her Janice now. Janice was no doubtably out searching along with Steve. Crystal was probably out partying or banging some random guy. She was one i might have to worry about. She had openly admitted that she found the native guys...how did she put it? Yummy?

She would be down here, and as the weather got a little warmer, she would be along the beach all the time in a too small swim-suit. But what could she do? Drag me back to the house? No. She could tell my parents, but i had a feeling Embry and the others could scare them off without even a single glare. I was done being afraid. I had Embry. I had Max. I was going to forget all about my so called "home." i was never going back there and now i could enjoy living on the res.

That was another problem. I couldn't just continue to live with Emily and Sam. Their hospitality would have the wear out eventually. So where would i stay when they kicked me out?

My worries were interrupted by a presence beside me. I glanced overthat Embry was sitting there, staring at me. I was trying to be elusive with him, until he gave me some answers at least!

"Are you gonna explain now?" i asked, tearing my eyes away from him, which wasn't exactly easy.

"No." he sighed, reaching over to take my hand. I snatched away and crossed my arms, turning away from him. "Don't do that." he whispered, sounding so conflicted that i had to turn back to him. His eyes were so unsure and afraid. "Don't turn away from me again...please. I'll tell you everything. Just not yet okay? Tonight. There's this bonfire and i want you to go to it with me. Then I'll give you answers, if you still want them." he said, reaching over to take my hand again.

"What's wrong Embry?" i asked, reaching up to move hair off of his forehead.

"I'm just afraid I'm gonna lose you again." he smiled, pulling me towards him so that there was barely any space between us. I smiled. He was like a puppy. He had no idea what he was doing. But neither did I, so I was fine with it.

I reached up and traced his lips with my finger-tip.

"You never lost me Embry. I was always yours. I'll always be yours." I sighed, just loud enough for him to hear. I felt myself turn red and turned my face again.

That sounded so corny River, you probably scared the poor boy.I scolded myself, burying my face in my hands. He pulled them away and caught my chin, turning it so he could see me.

"Promise?" he asked, holding out his pinky to me. I grabbed it quickly, as willing as ever to touch him.

"Promise." i nodded, and then he pulled me into a kiss that simply stole my breath away. It was one of those movie moments, when my bones melted and i heard churchbells and fireworks and a thousand other wonderful things i could never name.

He flipped me over so that my back was on the sand and he was over me, his hand making patterns on my shirt while my own hands knotted themselves in his hair.

I felt like there was this great fire between us that was burning us, molding us together so that i would never pull away. But of course I had to when he began to tickle me.

"Embry!" i shouted, trying to push his hands away. He stared at me with a micheiveous(sp?) look in his eyes and tickled me harder, so that my breathing came in rasps. "E-em-bry! S-s-stop it!" i laughed, trying to push him off of me.

"Not until you say you love me!" he shouted! I couldn't tell if he was kidding or if he really wanted me to say it. Either way i knew i'd feel mortified. I wanted to tell him after we had been dating for over 24 hours. My mind flashed back to our first kiss. Only a few months ago. And then there had been those months of seperation. Still, it felt like the fire had only grown more intense in our time apart.

"N-no! Not until you say it first!" i shouted, before i fell into another fit of extreme giggles.

"Embry!" I heard being called. "Embry let's go!" This time i recognized the voice as Quil's. He seemed nice, as did Jacob. The three were close, I could tell. "You can molest River some more later!" he called again, a laugh in his voice.

"ughh." Embry groaned, rolling off of me and laying beside me.

"You should go." I said, still trying to catch my breath.

"Probably." He agreed, but he looked like he had no intention of moving at all. I rolled onto my side and looked at him. His hands were behind his head and his eyes were closed peacefully.

Without thinking, i laid my hand on his chest and began tracing patterns that only existed in my mind. His skin was soft and extremely warm. Like there was a Sun inside his chest that radiated heat.

Suddenly, his hand was on top of mine, holding it still against his heart. I could feel it's rapid beating, more rapid than normal.

"Do you feel how fast it's beating?" he asked, shattering the calmness of silence.

"Yea." I noted that my own heart was beating just as fast, only because i was touching him. That's all it took to send my heart into over-drive, touching him or simply even looking at him.

"That's what happens everytime I see you." He said, looking over at me so that our eyes connected. His eyes put me in a trance, and i could have stayed there forever, just looking at him. He was so perfect. His eyes were the most beautiful chocolate brown I'd ever seen.

I didn't know how to respond. How do you top something like that? Something that made my heart nearly stop beating. There was no way.

"I ran away." i blurted out, saying the first thing that came to mind.

"What?" Embry asked, still seemingly entranced by my own eyes, but i couldn't fathom a reason.

"I ran away from home. Because my parents said i couldn't see you anymore. After they hit me that is. But i ran away and right to you, because you were the only person i have ever, in my entire life, wanted to be with." i whispered, trying to judge how he would react.

"I kind of figured they were abusive. But...i never imagined that..." he trailed off. I could feel his arms shaking again. In fact, his whole body was rolling with tremors again.

"Embry!! Let's go!!" i heard Sam call from near the edge of the beach,, where the sand fed into the woods.

"I gotta go. I'll see you tonight." he whispered, kissing me quickly before standing up and running over to where it seemed all the guys from breakfast were standing.

I couldn't help but wonder what they could possibly be doing in the woods. It wasn't my business so i would stay out of it. I turned back around, forcing myself not to catch the last glimpses of him. I laid down on the sand, pulling my shirt up to right under my bra in hopes of getting at least a little Sun.

"RIVURRRRRRR!!!!!"

Great.I thought, I mean, i loved Max to death, but he was a little much sometimes.

Suddenly I felt a great impact in my stomach as a small boy tackled into my side. And let me tell you, it didn't feel the best. Nothing to cry over but it certainly knocked the breath out of me.

"Rivur play in the watur with mee!!!" he pleaded, pulling on my hand trying to make me stand up.

"Okay, okay, okay." i groaned, trying to catch my breath. I knew if i said no he would just keep bothering me until I said yes.

So that's how the rest of my day went. I played in the waves with Max, laughing at his young fanatics. I kept looking behind my shoulder, hoping Embry would walk back through the trees and sweep me into his arms. I was a hopeless romantic. Eventually though it got dark and Kim came by to take us back to the house.

On the car ride back Max fell asleep on his shoulder. I glanced at the clock and saw it was only 8'o'clock.

"Geez, i thought it was later." i sighed, pushing my hair away from my face.

"Are you still planning on going to the bonfire tonight?" she asked, turning the heat on to dry me off a little.

"How did you know he invited me?" i asked, realizing how hungry i was.

"So are you going?" she asked, deliberatly avoiding the question.

"Umm, yea." I mumbled, leaning my head against the window, feeling my eyes start to close.

"Okay. I'll let you take a nap and have Embry wake you up when it's time to leave." she said, noticing that I was nodding off.

"K, thanks." I smiled, letting my eyes close and the darkness take me. It had been a long, confusing day, filled with more questions than i wanted to think about.

Overall though, it had been a good day.

I thought back to kissing Embry on the beach, and listening to his heartbeat.

Yea, it was a good day.