Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Pack Meeting

R I V E R

I had never been to a pack meeting before, obviously. So i had no idea what it would be like. Would it be formal or laid back? Who all would be there? Who all was allowed to be there? Was there a special way of doing things? All these thoughts were running through my head as Embry went around a tree to, as i called it, shift.

When he emerged as a wolf i almost went into another round of shock. It was easy to forget how big he was. He wasn't a normal wolf, that was for sure. Seeing the sheer mass of him made me a little more sure that he could take on any monster. Except...this monster had slaughtered my parents. Yet left me alive? Why? What meaning was i to him?

"Sooo, where are we going?" i asked, pushing those other gnawing questions aside. He lowered the front half of his body, jerking his head back towards his back. He wasn't suggesting...

"You want me to ride on your back?" i asked, letting my voice rise an octave. I wasn't good with heights. No matter how small. I just couldn't stand them. I hated having my feet more than 5 feet off the ground.

Embry nodded his head, letting his tongue roll out of his mouth. He was a giant dog. Really. He pulled the sides of his lips up into some kind of wolfish smile. I clasped my hands together, and shuffled my feet. I really didn't want to go but...i trusted Embry. He wouldn't let me get hurt.

" Okay." i said, walking around to the point where his back was closest to the ground. I pulled my legs over his back, securing one on each side. I dug my hands into his fur and grasped it tightly. "Am i hurting you?" i asked, hoping he said no. He shook his head and stood up, making me feel a little off

balance. I pulled myself closer to him, noticing how the ground was farther away now that he had stood up. I groaned internally, wondering how fast he would go.

"Hey don't-" i began, but he was already off. The wind whipped through my hair violently, slapping it against my face. I let out a sqeakish cry and hid my face in his fur. Inside my thoughts were one singular, incredibly long scream. The air was cold and made goose-bumps raise on my arms.

My breathing was heavy and my heart pounded rapidly in my chest. I could loose my grip and fly back, smashing into a tree, and to my death. My palms began to sweat and i felt my face get clammy.

Then it was over. We stopped running and the wind stopped. I felt my self being lowered to a more comfortable level. I lifted my head, feeling it swim a little bit. We were in a field surrounded by trees. In the clearing was at least 10 wolfs. All huge, and all completely intimidating. They were all standing in a circle, and they was an empty spot next to a russet colored wolf where i assumed Embry would stand.

I slid off his back and smoothed over the fur where it had been smooshed out of place by myself. I looked up at his face and found him looking at me.

"Do i just sit here?" i asked, motioning to the ground. He nodded his head rapidly, glancing over to the rest of the pack. I took my seat on the ground, never letting my eyes leave him. He looked back at me, leaning his face close to mine and licking up the side of my face. "Oh, ew Embry!" i giggled, trying to shove his massive head away. "Go!" i shouted, pointing to the circle in the clearing but keeping the smile on my face. He rolled those big wolfy eyes and trotted away, joining the rest of the pack.

I settled myself with my hands behind my back and leaning back on them, taking some weight off my caboose. I sighed contently and watched as they all just stood there. Sometimes one of them would growl or grunt softly. Not that long after, I saw Embry wipe his head towards a dark grey wolf, and growl dangerously, lowering his head. I saw his hair bristle and he turned to face the wolf. The dark grey one copied his movements, letting an even more ferocious growl.

I could feel the tenseness in the air and rose to my feet. Embry opened his mouth and growled at the wolf, lunging forward slightly before drawing up short. I put my hand to my stomach, feeling sick. Embry might get hurt if he went up against this wolf.

A massive black wolf stepped out of the circle and in between the two other wolfs. Embry lunged forward again, trying to get around the other wolf. But the black one growled, making Embry retreat to his original position, along with the grey one. Although both's hairs stayed on end.

I re-seated myself, but i felt uneasy.

Soon the wolf's seemed to pair up, and from what i saw I assumed they were practicing attack tactics. I watched them "practice" tear at each other's throats or swipe at the other's bodies. Now i really felt sick.

The moon rose higher in the sky, crossing it. I was laying down on the grass, staring at the stars for most of the night. I tried to block out the sounds of the fighting so when they finally stopped, i didn't notice. I would have laid there all night if a pair of warm arms hadn't picked me up off the ground, shaking me from my daze. I jumped at the contact but instantly recognized the feel.

"Embry...when did you shift?" i asked, obviously noticing that he was human again.

"A few minutes ago. We're gonna sleep at my house tonight okay?" he asked, walking with me still in his arms. I was so tired though i didn't complain.

"What about your mom?" I asked, dreading the thought of her walking in in the morning to find Embry gone and me in his place.

"She won't find you. But...i want you to meet her tomorrow. I'll take you to the beach first, and then i can take you to meet her." he smiled.

"Deal." i smiled. "But i can walk by myself you know." I said, struggling to remove myself from his arms. He sighed and set my down, but kept his hand in mine, which was exactly what i wanted.

"Yeah i know." he said, smiling at me and planted a small kiss on my lips.

"Do you have to go to another pack meeting tomorrow night?" i asked, squeezing his hand tighter.

"No." he said.

"Good." i breathed. Snuggling closer to him. He pulled us to a stop and pulled me around to face him.

"You don't like the idea of me fighting do you?" he asked, reaching up and stroking my face. I took a deep breath, trying to block out images of Embry lying lifeless on the ground. Of Embry being attacked by a cold one. Of Embry bleeding, crying out for me.

I tried to swallow down the lump in my throat but found it to be impossible. I felt my eyes begin to fill and attempted to blink away the pre-mature tears but they fell softly down my cheeks.

"How could i like that idea Embry?" i asked, looking directly into his eyes. "If anything...if anything ever happened to you it would kill me Embry. I would never be able to live with myself. Because i would know it would be my fault." i cried, snatching my hand away and turning the other direction. "And i would always have to live with that, and i couldn't do it! I wouldn't be able to survive without you! No matter how weak or selfish it is i would rather me die than you, just so i wouldn't have to live without you!" i screamed, trying to wipe away the tears that were flowing freely. "Because...because..." i trailed off, dissolving into sobs.

Embry strong hands turned me around and pulled me into him. I put my hands around his shoulders, trying to calm myself down. His scent helped to clear my mind a little bit. I was able to quiet some of my sobs, but only slightly.

"You're everything Embry." i cried, holding him so tight i was sure i was hurting him, but he held me just as tight and i didn't complain. He pulled me away from him just enough to push his lips against mine with more passion than i had ever experienced.

"You're everything River. And i will never leave you." he said, and crashed his lips back onto mine, like the sealing of some agreement. An agreement that we both had to survive this. Because without each other we were nothing.

Just then rain started to fall. Big, cold droplets that almost immediately soaked us to the bone. I could barely tell though, because Embry was keeping me warm.

He lifted me up so that i had to hook my legs around his waist to keep from falling. I tangled my hands in his hair, kissing him back with more feeling than i realized i had.

My heart was beating so fast and so hard that it literally hurt my chest. I felt the blush rise to my cheeks, until i realized that it couldn't possibly have been heard over the pounding of the rain and the rolls of thunder that consumed the sky.