Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Promise

R I V E R

The man standing at the door was...well nice looking! for an older guy at least. He didn't seem that much older but he held himself like an adult. His skin was pale white and his blonde hair was combed perfectly. He just seemed...perfect! Sickeningly so.

"Hello, you must be River. My name is Carlisle." he said smoothly, sticking his hand out. My heart pounded with fear as reached my hand out and took his. He was cold.

I shook it slightly and then pulled my hand away, stuffing it in my pocket to keep it from shaking.

"H-hello." i said, taking Max from Embry's arms and grabbing his hand tightly, knowing he would have to leave soon. i looked over at him and saw his nose was wrinkled up like he smelled something bad.

"Please, come in." he said, holding the door open for us. I began to pull Embry in with me but his hand slipped out of mine. I looked back and stopped watching as he turned, grabbed my suitcase and set them inside.

"I can't. I have to get back to Sam. We have training to do." he said, locking eyes with me. I felt my breathing hitch and tears start to gather in my eyes again.

Don't be so emotional. You're going to see him again.I thought to myself, setting Max down and pulling Embry into a hug. I breathed in his scent for what must have been the 100th time and closed my eyes.

"Be careful. Please Embry." I whispered, running my fingers through his hair, trying to force myself to believe that it wasn't the last time i would do so.

"I promise i will." he whispered back. Finally we pulled away, sharing a sweet, simple kiss before he turned and walked back to his car. I heard the door slam and watched as his car drove back towards the highway, disappearing into the trees.

"Rivur. Let's go inside now." I heard from behind me. Max was looking at me impatiently and i nodded, not able to stop a small laugh from escaping.

"Okay buddy." i said. I tried to smile at Carlisle as I walked past him, but i tensed immediately when the door closed behind me. Without Embry here i was less sure that these vampires were good. I began to get nervous and jumpy and images flashed in my mind of red eyes.

"I'll introduce you to everyone else, after they get back from hunting." he said, trying to be casual with the word, but honestly it made me shiver.

"Oh. Okay." I said, watching as he picked up mine and Max's suitcases.

"Here. I'll show you your rooms." he said, smiling one of those movie star smiles. Were all vampires so flawless? Was it just a characteristic of being one? I wasn't sure, because all I remembered about my parents killer was the red eyes. That was all.

He led me up one of the grandest staircases I had ever seen up into a hallway with doors on either side. He led me to the one at the very end of the hall and opened the door into an extravagant suite filled with the most expensive looking furniture i had ever seen.

"And Max's bedroom is next to yours." he said, giving me another movie star smile.

"Actually," i said, pulling Max to my side. "I would be more comfortable with him sleeping with me." i said, trying not to seem rude.

"Of course." he said, looking like he understood. But he didn't. How could he understand? Had his parents been slaughtered by an evil vampire. Was he now being hunted by that same vampire? Was his one true love out there preparing to fight that exact vampire? No. He had no idea what i was going through. But i did appreciate him trying to be considerate.

"Thank you." i said, setting my suitcase down by the bed.

"I'll leave you to unpack." he smiled, walking out and closing the door. No sooner had the door clicked shut then Max was up running around, jumping on the bed, and laughing like crazy.

"Max, please calm down and help me unpack. We can play in a little bit." I said. He didn't listen though, and kept running around. So i unpacked by ,myself, throwing random stuff into random drawers, not really paying any attention. My mind was of course on Embry, as it always was.

I couldn't help but relive the previous night and earlier that day in my head. And the day we met. And the first time we had kissed. That had been pure magic. I remembered the first time he had told me he loved me. It was beautiful. In my mind everything was in slow motion and perfect and soft and warm.

"Rivur!! I'm hungry!!!!!!" Max screamed, jumping off the bed and right into my arms. I grunted and set him down, laughing a little bit.

"Okay buddy, we'll go see if they have some food." I said, opening the door and watching him rocket down the hall and around the corner. Having him out of my sight made me feel anxious. But what made me really freak out was when i heard a giant thud and Max's pained screams echo from down the hall.

"Max!!" I screamed, sprinting down the hall and running down the stair, skidding to a stop at the bottom where i saw a black haired pixie like girl placing a band-aid over Max's knee. She wasn't the only one there though. In fact there was a whole group of people gathered around the door-way, and all eyes were on me.

"This is gonna be a long night." i said, staring at all of the perfect faces around me and amber colored eyes.

XXXXXX

It did in fact turn out to be a long night, and i got to bed around two in the morning, collapsing onto the soft mattress with Max by my side. I curled my body around his and said the magic words, listening to his steady breathing as he fell asleep. Everyone had seemed nice enough, but i didn't sleep well that night, and when i got up the net morning, my eyes had bags under them, and i looked like a mess.

The truth was, i was lost without Embry. It seemed like i hadn't seen him in forever, although it had only in fact been one day.

The day seemed to drag on, and i found that i could sneak away to my room while everyone obsessed over Max. They were fascinated by him, most of all his speech. I thought it was funny how he loved all the attention, and put on a show of jumping around. Emmett seemed to like him to best, because Max was always up for wrestling. That had actually scared me. But Emmett was calm and careful with him, and i eventually went back to my room to stare at a wall. I felt weak, knowing how stupid i was acting just because i hadn't seen him for a day.

Edward was perhaps the most mysterious of all the Cullen's, but Jasper was a very close second. They both just seemed to watch me with curious eyes, sometimes seeming shocked by whatever they saw on my face.

The thing was, i honestly didn't care what they saw on my face, I just wanted my Embry back. safe and whole and ready for me to continue loving. This time forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
How do you like it now???

Rate, Comment, Subscribe