Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Hurt

R I V E R

I was suddenly in motion, my own body reacting on it's own, almost without my consent. I moved from my position on the floor, stopping my tears and slowing my breathing to the point where i couldn't hear it. There was another crash, and this time a howl from downstairs, and i swept Max up into my arms. His eyes were wide and frightened and i was trying to figure out what to do.

I turned around and jerked open the window, noticing that it sloped at a fairly low angle, to the point where i could jump into the yard at the bottom.

"Max, we gotta run okay?" i asked, not waiting for him to answer. My heart was pounding so fast in my chest it was painful. I lowered Max out the window and set him on the roof. He sat there, waiting for me to climb out as well. However, right as i lifted my leg, the door flew open behind me, wood flying everywhere. Standing in front of me was a 6 foot man with long black hair tied back in a ponytail, and a black motorcycle jacket on. His eyes gleamed red. The red that had haunted my dreams for so many years, and i was suddenly paralyzed again.

"Hello River." he said in a voice that shook me to my very bones. I stared at him, thousands of pleas, begs, and bribes running through my head. But only one word made it out of my mouth.

"Why?" I asked, not really into asking who he was. I wanted him to stay nameless, if he had a name, a passed, it made it all much too real.

"Why what?" He asked, suddenly standing right in front of me, his eyes closing as he breathed in my scent.

"Why leave me alive? Why didn't you just kill me when...when you killed my parents." I asked, knowing that my voice was shaking badly.

"Because..." he said, leaning his head right next to my ear. I knew i couldn't fight him, or outrun him. There was nothing i could truly do. "I don't want to kill you...I want to turn you." he whispered, and i felt like dying right then and there.

"Can i ask...one more question." i whispered, practically choking on my own tears, wondering if i would really become...one of them. One of the things that had killed my parents.

"Yes." he said, and then held a finger out at me like a warning parent. "But just one."

"Why now?" i asked. It seemed uncanny to me that right as my life was getting good, he would come along and ruin it all. Just. like. that.

He sighed, like he was disappointed with the question, and was suddenly leaning against the opposite wall, like he was completely calm with his situation.

"Well i guess i..." then he trailed off and stiffened up, i imagined if he was a dog his ears would be standing straight up.

Suddenly, from out behind the wall, burst a grey wolf. A grey I knew. My Embry. The wood and drywall flew everywhere and there was a flurry of motion as Embry and the vampire tumbled together, snapping, biting, clawing, hissing, and growling. It was too much.

"Embry!" i screamed, worried that he would be hurt...or worse.

Suddenly i was jerked out of the window by a pair of hands. I looked behind me and found Renessmee there, with Max next to her.

"Run." she said, and pushed me. I hesitated, not wanting to leave when Embry could be fighting for his life. A fight that, if he lost, would kill me too.

"But-"

"Run!" she screamed, and launched into the window. I heard another burst of commotion and that was all i needed. I snatched up Max and scooted to the edge of the roof, pushing myself off and bending my knees as i landed in the grass below. I pushed my legs, pumping them as fast as i could, practically blinded by tears as i ran into the trees, branches and leaves slapping at my face, some of them giving me small cuts. I just ran and ran, not sure where I was going.

The only thought on my mind was the fight back at the house. In my head i was able to spin a thousand, no, a million different scenarios on how things could be going, and the scenarios that ended with Embry hurt made my chest hurt and my eyes burn with more tears. By the time I made it to the road I was out of breath and my sense of direction was practically gone.

I was tired and scared and worried and all i wanted to do was scream. Embry, Embry, Embry, Embry. That was racing through my mind as i picked a direction and started running down the road, hoping beyond hope that at some point Embry would catch up and he would be fine and as perfect as he had been when he left me.

"Rivur, im scared." Max sobbed, he was so young and had no idea how easily we could have died back in the house, or how much danger we were still in.

I didn't answer him, because i was scared too, and i had to focus on running away from the house. Because every bone in my body wanted to run back to the house, to check on Embry, to see him, to make sure he was okay.

It was like the whole day was spinning out of control and i had no way to get it back in order. The only thing that made sense was the sign that suddenly came into view reading, La Push Reservation.

I was home.

Only, it wasn't home unless Embry was there. That was my home. Embry. Because everyone says home is where the heart is, and Embry had my heart in the purest, most complete way anyone could.

I ran down the road, my feet automatically finding the way to Emily's house. As i reached her front porch there was a bone chilling sound that seemed to echo from everywhere at once. There was a chorus of howls that all seemed to be in pain and suffering.

The door swung open and Emily looked at me, taking in my frenzied, almost delirious state.

"What does that mean?" i asked, pointing towards the woods. She had a fearful look in her eye, and somehow i knew that it meant something bad.

"Come inside. Quick." she said, ushering Max in, as i had set him down once we reached her porch. I however, hesitated, swinging around and looking towards the woods. My eyes swept over the woods, searching for any sign of movement in the sea of green.

"What does that mean?!" i screamed, turning back to her. I knew my voice sounded panicked, crazy even, but her eyes took on a look of pity and she looked down for a second. Finally though, she looked me in the eyes.

"It means someone in the pack has been hurt." she said, and my heart shattered into a million tiny, itty bitty pieces.

"Embry." i cried, "I just know it. Oh god. Embry!" i cried, collapsing on the porch in a sobbing, heaving mass. I truly felt sick, and immediately leaned my head over a bush and vomited.

"River you don't know that." she said, but i was sure i did, and i was barely aware of my surroundings as she led me inside and tucked me into bed with a glass of ginger ale.

But i felt dead inside. What if Embry was...dead? Or mortally wounded? What if i never saw him again. What if he had died saving me? Of all people. He could have done so much more. Could have loved someone so much better.

But he had imprinted on me, and look where that had gotten him. A giant, uncomfortable ball of guilt settled in my stomach, and i didn't get a second of sleep for the night. I just wanted to know what was going on. Which is why when i heard Emily talking to someone downstairs the next morning, i bolted out of bed and practically flew into the living. I hoped for a full second that it would be Embry before i got there, and saw that it was Seth.

"Hey River." he said, looking guilty as well as depressed. His eyes were red and puffy, the look of someone morning.

"Who is it?" i asked, preparing for the worst.

"River i think-" he began, and i knew he was going to ask me to sit down.

"Just tell me Seth." i snapped, extremely irritable. Then my voice softened to almost a plea, something i hated to do. "Please."

He looked up and met my eyes for a fraction of a second before he quickly looked away. and i knew.

"It's Embry." he said, and i let it sink in. I took several deep breaths, knowing somewhere in my heart that he wasn't dead. He couldn't be dead. It wasn't possible. It wasn't....allowed. Not in my life. I had been through too much. There was no way this could happen now.

"He's not...dead....is he?" i asked, letting just one tear escape at the thought.

"No. He's just..." he trailed off, and i once again got a feeling that i already knew what it was. Or at least had an idea. And i knew it was bad. Really bad. "River...i think you just need to go see him." he said, and i knew i had to.

Even if i didn't want to, even if i knew seeing him hurt would destroy me, i knew i had to go. I had to be there for him like he had been there for me. I remembered the way he had jumped through a wall and tackled the vampire and my mind was set.

"Okay." i said, nodding, but closing my eyes. "Where is he?"