Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

The Wedding

R I V E R

You see, when Embry asked me to marry him, we both forgot one tiny, itty bitty, super disappointing detail.

We were only 17.

Embry's mom loved me, thought i was the bravest, most pure-hearted girl she ever met. She thought i was great for Embry. She even believed that we truly loved each other; which we did. But she wasn't going to consent on us getting married at 17. And i couldn't blame her. If i had a son like Embry, and i didn't know about the whole imprinting thing, i would have said hell no. So i still loved her like the mom i never had. And there was no way my parents were going to consent. That was for damn sure.

So for the next year, until we were both 18, all we did was plan plan plan. Fight fight fight. plan plan plan. Love love love. It was an endless, exhausting cycle. But i knew that was how it worked. I couldn't expect to never fight with Embry. We had our problems, like every couple. For instance i couldn't stand the way he tried to make-out with me when Max was in the room. I loved him and i was up for making out any time, but if Max was in the room, that was a no go. And he couldn't stand the way i always tried to get him to brush his hair. And i didn't like how he never made the bed. Or how he wore the same sweats for three days in a row. But i loved him. Despite all of those things.

So i dealt with those things. I argued them, and at the end of the day, i went to bed happy that i had found Embry, and that he was mine. I had no regrets. If i had to go back and do it all over again, i would do it the exact same way. Because all of my choices, all the little decisions, had gotten me here, in a wedding dress on the day of my wedding.

It had been a long time coming, that was for sure. And maybe we were rushing into the whole marriage thing. But the truth was i didn't care. I wanted Embry and only Embry, and tying the knot would make that clear to all the guys and all the girls that had tried to hit on us over the past year.

I stared at myself in the mirror. Feeling really pretty for the first time in...ever. Emily had done my make-up and hair, so that it was piled in a mop of loose curls on the top of my head, although some fell down my back.

My dress was long, silky, and flattering. it dropped down to my feet but didn't flare out at the waist. It dropped straight down, and had a little bit of a train. The wedding was going to be on the cliff, surprisingly. Because that was the place i had trusted him, and let him carry us out over the rock and drop into the freezing water.

I had a little surprise in store for the wedding night. I didn't know if Embry would like it, but i hoped he would, because it would be there forever.

I turned around, checking out my reflection in the mirror one final time. I had spent the night at Emily's the night before, even though i was totally bummed the whole night. Kim had been there also, and kept complaining that i was "harshing her mellow."

I had just missed Embry, we had spent every single night together sense he had proposed. I was pretty sure his mom knew where he was going, and the thought honestly embarrassed me.

"River." i heard from behind me, and turned to see Emily standing there in her light blue knee length dress. "It's time." she said, and her words made my stomach flutter.

I had been practicing my vows religiously, but i was still afraid i would screw up or choke or completely forget everything i was gonna say. Which, with my luck, was extremely likely to happen.

"Let's do this thing."i smiled, as we made our way outside and to their car. The whole ride there was nervous glances out the window and compliments that i didn't really believe from Emily.

As we rolled to a stop alongside the beach where the isle started,my nerves heightened to the point where i almost started hyperventilating.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." I mumbled, clutching my stomach.

"No you're not." Emily said, placing my veil over my face and tucking a few strands of hair behind my ears.

"No. I really am." i said, closing my eyes and taking several deep breaths.

"No you're not." Emily said sternly, making me look at her. "Because you know that Embry loves you. This just makes you guys...official." she shrugged.

"His mom is still out there there." I shrieked, realizing that she might change her mind and stand up in the middle of the wedding to object.

"And she loves you. So stop worrying and let me take it from here. All you have to do is walk down the isle, get all lovey dovey for a few minutes and then say i do. Easy peasy." she said, giving me an encouraging smile.

"Okay." I finally said, nodding and managing to get my breathing under control. I was happy to realize that my make-up was still completely fine, even though i had been sweating bullets.

"Okay." She repeated, and got out of the car.

I sat there for a few minutes until there was a light tap on my window, and Sam motioned for me to get out of the car. Oddly enough, he was walking me down the isle.

I got out of the car and started picking at my dress, trying to smooth it out and straighten it and then i had a little panic attack again.

"River." Sam said, earning him my attention. "You look beautiful." He said. That was probably the only compliment he'd ever given me, and it made a world or difference. I let out a breath and nodded, smiling as i took his arm. I wasn't wearing plain old white tennis shoes under my dress, considering i had to take a little hike up to the cliff.

I felt my heart start to pound harder in my chest as we climbed up the path, the dirt crunching under our feet. I saw everyone come into view, their chairs looking uneven on the rock. Everyone turned in their seats to look at me.

I saw my dad. Not my actual dad obviously, but the father who had raised me, who had beaten me for years and could still give me nightmares.

Seeing him there, at my wedding, gave me chills. So i quickly turned from him to find another unfriendly face. Crystal. Her low-cut, super tight dress was the dead give away. But her hair was dyed the same color as mine, so it took me a second to recognize her.

I held back a grimace and turned away, finally finding the most important face of the day. Embry's.

He looked...well....amazing. More amazing than usual.

His black tux contrasted with his skin and his smile, as corny as i know it sounds, lit up my world.

When we finally reached the alter I took Embry's arm quickly, releasing a breath i didn't know I'd been holding. I smiled at him, nearly choking on the air at the smile he returned.

"hey." he muttered to me. It seemed oddly casual considering the circumstances.

"hey." i muttered back, stifling a giggle.

I turned to the preacher, as he began to recite words and sayings that i couldn't hear, because Embry was rubbing my hand with his thumb, making my heart flutter.

When it came time for the vows, Embry opted to go first.

"Alright here we go." he said, chuckling a little, before he got serious and gripped both of my hands in his. Before he started i looked down at them. My hands looked so terribly small in his, it was almost comical. "River," he began, making my eyes snap back up to his. "When i first saw you...I knew i loved you. There wasn't any question and worry, you were all that mattered. It's the same way now. And it will be the same when we're old and wrinkled and you're constantly bitching at me because i never make the bed." He said, earning himself a small chorus of laughter from the crowd. "Because I love you River. That's all there is to it. I can't...explain it, i just love you. All of you. All of your quirks and faults and issues. I love you. And i always will. Which is why we're here, right now. Because you are the most important thing in my life. Forever." he whispered the last word, and my breath caught. I wanted to jump up and kiss him right then but I knew i had to wait.

"My turn." i breathed. smiling. "I don't..." i began, losing my train of thought as i continued to stare into his eyes. "I don't know how to top that. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. You found the most beautiful way I've ever heard," i said, squeezing his hand. "To say i love you. So now all i can do is say it back. I'll say it however you want me to. I'll say it backwards or forwards. I'll scream it at the top of my lungs from this cliff. I'll spell it out." i cried, feeling happy tears gather in my eyes. I let one spill over and then quickly wiped it away. "I remember when i first saw you, met you, i was so confused. Because, my heart...it was like it was trying to get out of my chest. And every time i tried to not think of you, your face just popped up. It was like my brain or...my heart or something was hardwired to love you. and only you. Forever." i said, copying his last line.

Then the preacher continued on with the service, i said i do, he said i do, and i anxiously waited for those beautiful words.

"You may now kiss the bride." he said to Embry, and i was pulled into the most breath-taking kiss of my life. The kind of kiss that makes you go weak in the knees and your stomach turn to Jello.

We heard cheers erupt from the crowd and i realized that no one had objected. Not my "dad" or Crystal, not Embry's mom. Because we were truly meant to be.

We turned and ran back down the isle, the wind swooping up and over the cliff, making my dress ruffle.

We ran all the way down through the woods and into the black car waiting for us at the bottom. It was like we couldn't keep our hands off each other. His kisses left a trail of fire down my neck and when the driver, Sam, got in the car he coughed, attempting to split us up. But that didn't stop the make-out session until we reached the beach, where the reception was being held.

The pack had constructed a kind of platform on the beach, it extended a little over the water, almost like the dock, for dancing. As the beach began to fill up and the sky darken, the bonfire was lit and the lanterns all around the platform were lit as Embry and I prepared for our first dance.

He pulled me up onto the platform as everyone gathered around, some pulling out cameras, even though i knew i would always remember this day with perfect clarity.

The soft beginnings of the song "A Gift of Thistle" began to play over the speakers that were set up on the beach and i started to sway to the music, my arms clasped tightly around Embry's shoulders. I saw Crystal in the crowd, with an actual camera in her hand, taking pictures. Like she actually cared. It was the oddest thing i had seen in a while.

I closed my eyes and leaned back, before opening them again to stare at Embry.

"Mrs. Embry Call." i whispered, smiling at him when he looked down at me. "I like the sound of that." i said, reaching up to move some hair out of his face.

"me too." he smiled, and his eyes at that moment held more love than i thought any one could feel for another person.

Although I'm sure mine looked the exact same.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Where are we going?" i asked Embry, squeezing his hand tighter.

"You'll see. It's a surprise." he said, smiling at me.

"Oh yeah well i have a surprise for you too whenever we get where we're going." i smirked, knowing he wasn't expecting that.

"Did you mean that in a sexual way?" he asked, causing me to slap his chest.

"no." i said.

"But we will do sexual things tonight, correct?" he asked, like it would be anything new.

"Embry Call you are nothing more than a horny teenage boy. Did you know that?" i asked, pretending to turn my nose up at him.

"But that's why you love me, correct Mrs. Call?" he whispered against my ear, causing me to shiver almost violently.

"Of course." i whispered, turning my head so i was talking against his lips.

We finally rolled to a stop in what seemed to be the middle of the woods.

"Embry Call where the hell are we?" I asked after we had pulled everything out of the car and it had disappeared back towards the road.

"Can't you see it?" he asked, looking at me strangely.

"See what?! It's the middle of the damn night!" i screamed, throwing in a half-hearted laugh.

"Hold on then." he said, then he too disappeared into the darkness. After what seemed like an eternity, i saw a light flicker on, in the shape of a window. And then, slowly, other lights flicker on in the darkness, and finally, one flicker on an illuminate a porch. Steps lead up to a blue door and a white washed house. I was beginning to catch on.

I dropped my bags and put a hand to my mouth, realizing that this was our house. To live in together. And have kids. And raise them. And grow old. Our house to decorate and do yard work and bring groceries home to.

Embry walked out the door and stood in front of me, holding his arms out.

"Well! What do you think?" he asked, smiling so brightly that i could see his teeth clearly in the darkness.

"I think..." i said, walking closer to him and peering around at the house, a little tear falling out of my eye. "That it's perfect." i said, smiling at him and jumping into his arms. We were home! "We have a house! Show me the inside!" i screamed, jumping down and struggling to pull my bags up the porch steps. I had known we weren't going back to Sam and Emily's but i assumed we'd go to a hotel or something.

Embry grabbed my bags and opened the door, setting them inside.

The inside was quaint, everything looked like it was glowing and new. There was a eat in kitchen to the right, the counter-tops a dark natural looking wood. The floors were the same shade of wood and covered with rugs that looked home-made and cozy. Warm yet bright colors dotted the furniture in the little family room. The hall-way in front of us led to three rooms. Two of them were empty, and unpainted.

"For...ya know...if we wanted to have kids." he whispered to me, wrapping his arms around my waits from behind.

"I definitely want to have kids." i whispered back.

"Good." he said, smiling. "But now for the grand finale." he shook his eyebrows at me and i rolled my eyes, knowing he was leading us to our bedroom. When he opened the door I smiled happily. There was a big bed that seemed to dominate the room, but considering how tall we both were, it only made sense.

I turned around and smiled, almost evilly.

"As much as i know you want to make quick use of that bed. You need to get out first." i said, pushing him out of the room and closing the door before he could protest. I slipped off my wedding dress and looked for a mirror. I found one in the bathroom right by the closet and looked at myself. I couldn't seem to remember how i had let Emily talk me into wearing the ridiculous outfit i was in now.

It was some kind of black lacy thing that made my boobs look huge. It wasn't like tonight was anything special. Everyone pretty much knew Embry and I had been together. But tonight was our first night together as a married couple.

I spun in the mirror to look at my back. I could see the vague outline of my "surprise" still covered by the clear plastic. I reached behind myself and pulled it off, revealing the wolf tattoo that would always be on my back. I thought it was symbolic, and beautiful too. I only hoped Embry would like it.

"Okay come in!" i screamed as i rushed back into the bedroom and stood in front of the bed. The door open and Embry poked his head in, his mouth instantly turning up into a wolfish grin (pun intended(: )

"Definitely worth waiting outside." he said, walking completely into the room and kicking his shoes off, his jacket no where to be seen.

"Wait! I still have to show you the surprise!" i said, getting a little nervous as i spun around. "I know my scars kind of screw up the look but.." i trailed off as i felt his hands touch my lower back, where the tattoo was.

"It's..." he trailed off, and i began to fear the worst before he spun me around and held my hips tight against his. "totally sexy." he finished, and his voice was low and husky and i knew there was no stopping him, not that i wanted to, as he threw me on the bed and we fell into a night of passion so heated, i thought i had died and gone to heaven.

Because...well, Embry was my heaven. He was all i wanted. Ever. Nothing came close to making me feel how he did. He was my one and only. My everything. My heart my soul. He was the reason i hadn't just laid down and died during that last beating. He was the reason i hadn't just kept living life on the verge of death. He made me feel alive. More alive than anything.

It was those primitive instincts that had first driven me to go after him, to admit to him that i loved him. To take that giant leap of faith, and take the chance that he might not have loved me.

But the ting was he did. He loved me more than anything. And i loved him more than anything. And through all of our troubles and heartache, i had learned something.

That sometimes....you just have to trust your instincts. They might take you places greater than your most wild fantasy, most hopeful dream, or craziest wish.