Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

Embry

R I V E R

He was....perfect. His short black hair and brown eyes. The deep color of his skin. His tall lanky form and wiry muscles. He was practically glowing. At least to me he was.

The moment our eyes locked I felt paralyzed. I couldn't have moved from that spot, not that i wanted to. I could feel these electrical currents rolling through my body making me feel like i was burning up and freezing to death at the same time.

My breath caught in my throat and my heart tried to tear itself out of my chest. Just looking at him, even if i didn't know him made me feel so....alive.

I don't know how long i just stood there, staring at him, feeling the currents. He stared right back, not moving, like he was just as entranced.

Then i realized i was staring. I felt all the blood in my body rush up to color my face and neck. I would've believed it if someone had told me my whole body had turned bright red.

I felt myself get hot form the blush and quickly turned away, embarrassed about staring at a stranger. It was rude.

I let the cool breeze cool my face and hoped it would return to normal color, but that hope was quickly dashed. I turned when i heard foot-steps and saw he was walking towards me. And my face got red all over again.

He's probably coming over here to tell me not to stare at shirtless men i don't know. I thought. I realized he looked older than me. Maybe 19 or 20. Probably too old to be interested in an under-weight 16 year old like me. I thought, and then, Whoa wait what?! Interested in me?! That shouldn't even have crossed your mind!! It wouldn't matter if he was interested in you are not! I told myself, but even then i knew i was lying.

For some reason it mattered a lot. Even if i was crazy for thinking it.

He smiled at me as he drew closer, and i swear i almost feel over because my knees got all unstable and my breath wasn't even.

Oh God River you really are pathetic. I thought, rolling my eyes to myself. I kept my back turned to him until he reached me and tapped me on the shoulder.

That one touch, that one connection made my heart start thundering again. It felt so nice. Even though it was barely a touch. It felt so right.

"Hi." he said. I took a deep breath to calm myself and turned to face him. I tried not to but i couldn't help but do another quick look over of his body. He was drop dead sexy.

And i usually didn't think like that.

"Hey." i mumbled feebly. I could barely get my voice to work with him standing in front of me. I felt my shy attitude start to take over, and shifted my eyes to my feet.

"I haven't seen you around here. Are you new?" he asked. He actually sounded like he cared. Most guys i met, you could tell they didn't care about that small talk or introductions. He was either genuine or a fabulous liar.

"Umm yea. My family actually lives in Forks." i said, still looking at my feet. I knew if i even dared to look up i would lose my voice.

"I'm Embry Call." he said, extending his hand. I knew it was rude not to do so, so i looked up and met his eyes as i shook his hand. I could feel the electric currents and shocks through-out my body again. And the heat on my face.

"I'm River Willows." i said, trying to give him a smile without looking like and idiot. Of course I failed miserably. He seemed to be almost nervous too. Like he wasn't used to talking to girl's which was odd for someone of his..um...hotness level?

"So you live in Forks but go to school on the res?"

That was kind of almost a hard question, because he probably wanted an explanation of why. But my mom had already told me what lie to tell.

"Yeah. I really like to take pictures and the beaches down here are beautiful, so they said i could go to school here so i could take pictures after or before school."

I was a good liar. I had to be. But I felt an unfamiliar guilt settle in my stomach when i lied to Embry. It felt wrong and dirty and horrible. Like when you have the flu.

"Wow, nice parents." he said, sounding almost impressed.

"Yea..." I trailed off. That would be true if it was extreme opposite day.

"So how old are you then?"

"16, it turn 17 in June." i said. Cheering silently inside. 17 was only one year away from 18, then i could leave and maybe sue to get custody of Max. "So how old are you?" I asked. His face looked young but his body was a contradiction, so I wasn't really sure what a good guess would be.

"I'm 16. I turn 17 next month." he said, waiting for my reaction.

Next month was March which meant he was only...3 months older than me?!

"You're 16?!" i practically screamed. Then I realized it and clamped a hand over my mouth. He laughed, seeming like he had expected my outburst. I pulled my hand away and looked him up and down again, this time with wide eyes. "But you're....well huge!!! You're like 7 feet tall!"

"Actually, I'm 6'6". But you're not the shortest of the bunch now are you?"

"I'm 6'. It sucks. I hate it. I always feel like a giant around everyone. Everyone thinks I'm weird." I sighed, not sure why i was sharing my insecurities with a stranger.

"You're not a giant compared to me." he commented, making a show of looking down at me.

"Well that's because you ARE a giant." i said, smiling. I hadn't smile a really smile in a long time, and it felt weird on my lips.

"I guess it just runs in my family." he shrugged, but for some reason it looked like he was enjoying some kind of inside joke.

"I'm the odd one out of my family. Well, my adopted family." i said. Why was I telling him that?! I didn't like to tell people I was adopted!! It gave them more to talk about behind my back! So why did I feel so comfortable talking to him?

"You're adopted?"

"Yeah. My um...my parents were killed when i was 4." i said, looking down again. I felt him reach over and rub my shoulder supportive.

"I'm sorry." he sounded like hearing about it hurt him too, which was odd but a nice change compared to home.

His hand was so warm. It was like a little flame on my shoulder against the wind rolling in from the water.

"Me too." i sighed. Then I looked at my watch and gasped. Oh no.

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking around to see if he saw something or someone.

"I'm gonna be so late! I'm sorry Embry, I really have to go! It was nice meeting you!" i screamed. I pulled away, feeling his hand drop away from the shoulder. I missed the warmth but ignored it. I practically sprinted up the beach, past his group of friends that I had forgotten where there, and towards the road out of La Push.

Maybe if I ran I could get home on time.

I seriously doubted it though, and whimpered as I jogged down the road home.

I wasn't completely healed yet. Re-opening the old scabs would make them scar more. I already had 5 scars on my back and i didn't want anymore.

About half-way back to Forks it started to rain. Not a light drizzle or a nice shower, an all out down-pour. The kind where the rain stings your skin and makes everything feel heavier.

Even though i was exhausted and scared and hungry,Ii could help but sing a line to one of my favorite songs as i ran down the road.

"I'm on the high-way to Hell!" i screamed in a horrible, off-key voice. I continued to belt that single lyric out until I reached my street.

When i reached the door, I checked my watch. I was ten minutes late. I wasn't sure if that would be enough to set them off.

I eased open the door quietly and called in. I breathed a great sigh of relief when I checked the garage and found no cars in it. The rain probably caused traffic and held them up at wherever they were.

I was safe.

For now anyways.

I stripped down to my underwear in the hallway so i wouldn't get too much wet, and then went upstairs to change into something dry. Then I went back down and cleaned up the water and dirt that I had tracked in.

The house looked in perfect condition. But perfect condition wouldn't be good enough.

I walked around the house, picking lint off of furniture, plumping pillows, straightening bed-spreads, and re-arranging the fruit in the bowl so that it looked like a work of art.

I spent the whole time cleaning until they got home. I sent up a silent prayer of thanks when either my mother couldn't find anything wrong.

But I was still sent to my room without any dinner, and my stomach was grumbling loudly while I did my homework. I had managed to buy a salad at school but I was honestly not doing well. My body was weakening. and I didn't know how much longer I could go on like this.

As I laid down to go to sleep, a single image filled my mind.

Embry.

I hadn't stopped thinking about him. He was all over my brain, scattering my thoughts to make way for thought and dreams and fantasies of him.

It seemed weird and almost obsessive, but meeting him had quite possibly been the high-light of my year.

You are SO incredibly pathetic. I thought. But then I realized, that I didn't really care.