‹ Prequel: Don't Hold Your Breath
Status: I may only be able to update once a week D: If that . . . stupid school >.<

You're The Only One

I'd Burn the City Down to Show You the Light.

Kaela’s POV
It was late at night, and it seemed that everyone was sleeping.

I had just put the baby down, and decided to go distract myself with the television or something. I could use a break from the worries. I’ll just avoid any news channels.

I made my way downstairs, and noticed Patrick sitting on the couch, blankly staring at the TV. It seems he had the same idea. I went to sit next to him as FRIENDS flashed on the television.

“Hey.” I said.

“Hi.” he responded, still blankly staring at the TV.

“How are you doing?” I asked, though unnecessary, considering it was pretty obvious given the circumstances.

“Um, well, you know.” he said. “Not all that great. What about you?”

“Fine.” I said. “You seem to be dealing with things rather well.”  

He laughed humorlessly. “No, it just seems that way. I’m tearing myself apart on the inside, trust me. It’s like, Pete was my best friend since high school, and even though he was crazy, and what he did was fucked up, I still miss him you know? And, I can’t believe he’s gone. But I also feel like this is all my fault.”

“Patrick, none of this is your fault okay? You didn’t know this was going to happen. Don’t blame yourself. And... I wish I could give you some advice, but...”

“It’s alright.” He said. “You don’t need to give me advice, it’s just nice having someone to talk to I guess.” He paused. “You’re handling things pretty well too, I mean at least you seem like you are.”

I laughed. “Yeah, so my husband turned out to be gay, and my best friends are on the run from the law. But you know. I have ways of dealing. Like putting all my focus on Jane. Taking care of her, making sure she’s safe.”

"She's lucky to have such a great mom." he said. 

I laughed. "Yeah."

"Hey guys, what are you doing up?" I looked up, and Brendon and Ryan stood in the doorway, fingers laced.  

"Couldn't sleep." I said. 

"Yeah us either." Ryan said. "Gabe and Bill's room is right next to ours, and they're being..." he sighed. "Loud."

Patrick laughed, which was good. 

"Well, why don't you join us? There's plenty of room on this oversized couch." I said, scooting over and making room. 

"Oh, you're watching FRIENDS?! I love this episode!" Brendon exclaimed a little too enthusiastically before jumping on the couch. 

Ryan laughed and curled up on the couch next to his boyfriend. 

Or soon to be fiancee. 

~*~

Brendon's POV

Okay, so fuck. I've never been this nervous in my entire life.

I think Ryan noticed something was off about me but hasn't mentioned it. Thank God. 

The rest of the gang went out. Kaela drug them out to her favorite restaurant to "cheer them up" and left me and Ryan here "Just so we weren't recognized." So I decided to "Make it up" to Ryan by fixing a fancy dinner and eating by candle night. 

A nice romantic eventing, and the perfect setting. Fancy dinner by candle light in some fancy mansion. 

It was nice, but I was still nervous as fuck. 

"So, I didn't know you could cook like this. Where have you been hiding your culinary skills all these years? I mean chicken cordon bleu? Why have I never had this before? It's delicious." Ryan said, taking another bite of the chicken. 

"Well I do work at a Restaurant, sweets." I replied, smirking. "Or used to at least." 

Ryan paused and probably pretended he didn't hear the last part. 

"Yeah, a little family owned restaurant that serves pancakes and hamburgers." he replied. 

"My mother taught me a thing or two." I said, finishing my food, and getting up to deliver my plate to the kitchen. My nervousness caused to to scarf down the food like I was a starving homeless man. 

"Wow, you ate that fast. I'm not even half way done." he said, wiping his mouth with a napkin. 

I laughed. "I was hungry. Don't worry about it, just, hurry up. There's something I want to do." I said, kissing the top of his head. 

He laughed. "Alright." 

While I waited for him to finish his meal, I decided to pass the time by washing my dishes until they were impossibly clean. But soon another plate landed in the sink, and two arms snaked around my waist. 

"Hey." he said, resting his chin on my shoulder from behind. 

I turned around to face him and pecked him on the lips. "Hey." I said. 

"So what was it you wanted to do exactly?" he asked. 

"Come with me." I said, grabbing his hand and leading him toward the backyard. 

The house sat at the top of a hill, and from the backyard you could see the busy gleaming lights of the city in contrast with the night sky and the darkness of the surrounding ocean. And above us, only the brightest of stars were visible. 

I brought him out back, and showed him the view. 

"Wow, it's beautiful." he said. "You never see anything like this is Vegas. It's all just flat and boring aside from the strip I guess. But you know, you've seen big obnoxious flashing lights once, you've seen it a million times." 

I laughed, but my stomach tingled with nervousness and anticipation. 

He leaned into me, still gazing at the view, when I turned to him and grabbed his face, gently leading him into a kiss. He turned and wrapped his arms around my neck, kissing back with a certain amount of passion that I was almost certain would burn the city down if given the chance.

I pulled back, but my hand remained on his cheek. 

"Thank you for doing all this Brendon." he said. "I've had a really great time tonight." 

I looked at him, and pecked his lips one more time before beginning something that could possibly change my life for ever. 

"Ryan," I started. "I love you so much. And I..." I paused as I sunk down to one knee, and I think I heard his breathing stop. "The last couple weeks have been shit, and it seems like anything could happen but... I really do want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I want to bind myself to you in every single way. I love you and I would do anything for you. And I feel like, since everything that's happened, we need something to look forward too. Ryan, will you marry me?" I took out the ring and held it in front of him. He brought his hands up to his mouth, and I swear I saw a tear. The silence lingered just a little bit, and my heart felt like it was going to explode. I felt like I was going to throw up. I was just about to give up and tell him to forget about it when he spoke. 

"Yes. Of course I'll marry you."
♠ ♠ ♠
For some reason the splitsaversary made me want to update. *sigh*

Wow, it's been a while hasn't it? Sorry about that guys. I kind of didnt know what to do with this story, but I came up with some ideas as well as an ending. xD don't worry. I promise it will be great. I'll try and update a little more frequently, but I'm not going to make any promises, just in case... Hah. But if I happen to not update for a while and you're sitting there thinking "Damn it. I want a new TYOO chapter but it's not up yet. Djdjsbskfjdkejf" then you could always check out my other stories as well. :3 Go read my Peterick story. It's amazing, and it features Rydon too.

Anyway, thank you all so much. You have no idea how much I love you, and appreciate the fact that you've stood by me and this story for well over a year and a half.

So much love <3